What's the difference between modesty and low self esteem?

For example I'm a person with very low self esteem, but I know that that doesn't make me modest, so what's the difference?

1|0
2|5

Most Helpful Girl

• Modesty is knowing you have a good characteristic (ex. beautiful, friendly) but not arrogant about it.

Low self esteem is being doubtful of having a particular characteristic.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• The modest person is content with themselves, the insecure person doesn't feel comfortable with who he is.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 4

• Having low self esteem has a stigma of self hate. Being modest means you know you have self worth and have accomplishments but know you can always do better.

0|0
    0|0
  • Low self-esteem is accompanied by insecurities. Modesty may or may not. To be confident but modest is often a very good quality, but a lot of times people who are modest can be a bit insecure.

0|0
    0|0
    • Low self-esteem is also internal -- it's how you feel about yourself and the motivation behind your actions. Modesty is external -- it's an outward action. To dress modestly is to not show off. To act modest is to act humbly.

People who are often both insecure and modest will tend to be modest out of fear of being judged. People who are confident but modest will often tend to be modest out of some level of indifference, not caring so much about what others think, and not feeling the need for applause or praise.

• Modesty is for the sake of others and not having any arrogance over one's qualities. Low self esteem s carrying insecurities over it and genuinely believing you're not good.

0|0
    0|0
  • Modesty knows they're good but just not bragging

0|0
    0|0