When you read a book, do you literally take in every word?

You know how there's all these descriptions in books, like if they want to describe a sofa they won't just say there was a sofa it'll be like the mahogany wood coloured futon barely covered Richard's wounded calves.

I know that's still simplistic (came up with it out of the top of my head). But you know what I mean... do people literally try to let every word sink in or sometimes run over sentences without fully thinking about them?

Not sure if I make sense, I'm happy to further elaborate if need be.

Most Helpful Guy

• If there's one thing that reading Bram Stoker's Dracula has taught me, it's that when you're reading a story (especially an older story), you can't take everything that's in the text at face value.

For example, in chapter 3, Dracula is describing his family background to Harker. He says that some witches were exiled into the deserts, had sex with demons and thus their children became the huns which then intermingled with Norse berzerkers who fought with the spirit of Odin and Thor to such a ferocity that they were thought to be werewolves.

Basically, Bram Stoker was just trying to say that Dracula's family was a fierce people, he just over complicated it with tales of Witches having devil babies and such.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think I read the words I need to read. When they describe a room for example I tune out, because I like to draw my own pictures.

What Guys Said 4

• I enjoy reading every single word. Sometimes I even read the same sentence a second or a third time if I really like it. I feel like it makes the experience of reading much richer. Plus, it has also become a bit of a habit because I study literature and I constantly need to analyze literary texts very closely.

• Hmm do you ever feel that it takes you longer to read a book because of it?

It takes a little bit of time for the words to sink in at least for me. I mean... it's not like I just read it and I'm like aha picture conjured up in my mind. I got to pause a little and think about it sometimes.

Do you know what I mean? It's cool you study literature. I used to like literature a lot in elementary school. Lots of Roald Dahl in my childhood lol

• Yes, I know what you mean :-). And yes, I do think I'm a rather slow reader. Plus, when I read in English (I study English literature), I'm probably a tad slower than in my native language. But it also doesn't bother me. Some people read books simply to be done with them as soon as possible. For me, the experience of reading itself is the fun part. I kind of have a "Buddhist" attitude towards it: the journey is the destination ;-). So I don't mind being slow because the feeling of completely immersing yourself into a good story can be very beautiful and rewarding
      :-).

• Yeah, but I've noticed once I've created an image of something in my mind, that's how it stays. Sometimes I keep it that way because I think my image is better than the author's or I have to overhaul the entire room/scenario to fit theirs perfectly. Sounds a little conceited.
    Does that make sense?

• I totally get what your saying and honestly i try to take every word in lol i dont know why tho lmao

• But doesn't it almost exhaust you? lol reading is supposed to be fun why do they make it out to be more complicated than it is? For the effect?

You know something I've always wondered about, which should be a question in itself, is do people even think like that in real life? Sometimes I'll be reading about a character who is around my age or older, and they'll have all these big words to describe that character's thoughts and I'll be like lol I do not think like that. My vocabulary when I think does not include all these big words.

I almost feel like they're doing a disservice to the character because people of course assume the character is intelligent but that character might not actually be.

• Wow I've never thought about it like that!!👌👌 and yesssss your right it is very VERY exhausting!!!👏👏👏 i

• Nah, I tend to skip portions I feel are too excessive.

What Girls Said 2

• i try to be aware of each word

• Yes I do.