Is a recessive gene generally lost at some point?

One of my friends actually has bright red hair and freckles. Apparently no one in her family has it. The only member that had it was her father's great grandmother.

Ok, so that's sooooo far back and she's long, long dead. Wouldn't a recessive gene like that normally disappear and not survive?

0|0
6|7

Most Helpful Guy

• Genes only disappear if they're either detrimental or very unlucky.

In other words if the gene for red hair caused you to have fewer children than if you didn't have it.

Or

It was very rare and by chance none of the people who had it had children or they lived only in one region, and everyone in that region died in an earthquake.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• nope, that's not how it works. They're recessive genes not disappearing genes. They'll pop up again when the time is right. They just hibernate that's all

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

1|1
    0|0
  • well she has the dominant gene so she's going to pass it on to her child. the child will receive it either as the dominant or recessive gene and pass it down.

that's how genetics works. that's how you are able to do genetic testing to find relations hundreds and thousands of years back. the gene will always carry on UNLESS everyone with that gene stops reproducing

2|0
    0|0
  • No. If a trait follows classic Mendelian inheritance patterns, it will only be expressed when a child inherits the recessive gene from both parents, but the recessive gene, just like a dominant gene, has a 50% chance of transmission to any one offspring, so recessive genes do not disappear. If they did, there would be no recessive genes left, right?

0|0
    0|0
  • It is simply bred out by dominant genes. However if you have a Dominant and recessive allele mate with a Double dominant then you will again have a R/D in the following generation.

1|0
    0|0
  • If the people caring the recessive gene tend not to reproduce, which is the case if the gene is harmful, the gene will disappear fro the population within a few generations...

0|0
    0|0
  • if the other person has 2 recessive genes and one with one, the product can be 2 recessive genes, meaning it doesn't always have to disappear.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• No the gene that causes red hair is a genetic defect if you will. Most of my family has dark red hair with no freckles thank God! My daughter has strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes. I've got green eyes so I'm assuming when she had kids of her own some day they'll have red hair also! So no the gene never goes away.

1|0
    1|0
  • No It doesn't get lost.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not gonna disappear. It is only "dominated" or hidden when paired with a dominant trait (dominant allele).

1|0
    0|0
  • No recessive genes are hidden but they're not lost

0|1
    0|0
  • At some point yes. It's only brought out by chance

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't think so

0|0
    0|0