I just ask because my cousins house burnt down last night, half is destroyed by the fire the other half is destroyed by the water they used to put out the fire. We drove by it today after my interview because it was close by and I've never seen a house after a fire. It looks horrible and it's depressing even more so because he's my family. I think they pretty much lost everything, I'm not sure if any of it can be saved. Now my cousin, his two kids, his girlfriend and their dog are now basically homeless. I feel bad for him, he can't seem to catch a break.
So, have you ever been through a fire or know someone who has?
Most Helpful Guy
About ten years ago, I lived in a little apartment in a converted house. The alarm was above my bed and would go off CONSTANTLY because the prick who lived on the top floor would come home drunk with his douche buddies and they'd burn toast or smoke too much and set it off in the middle of the night. It scared the crap out of me each time, but I am mechanically inclined and soon became very well acquainted with how to work the alarm control box in the lobby to silence the sounders, reset and then rearm the system.
One night, the alarm goes off. I duly get dressed to go turn it off and find my downstairs neighbour banging angrily on the box screaming at it to shut up. I nudge him aside and go through the shutdown procedure. As soon as I rearm the system, however, the sounders start going again. Three times and it keeps happening. I examine the indicators and the zone for his apartment is still lit. I tell him it's coming from his unit. He goes to check, and comes back to say "my living room is full of smoke."
I grab the extinguisher and go to investigate. I open the living room door and am met by a wall of acrid smoke. I tell the guy to go and knock on everyone's door and tell them it's a real fire, while I go outside and call the fire department. For the first time in my life, I am dialling those three fateful digits. Luckily, the station is just down the road and the truck is with us in a few minutes.
By now everyone is outside, and the fire fighters take one look at the fire before breaking out the breathing apparatus. Two of them go inside and are in there for quite some time. They eventually come back out, and go back in with two huge industrial fans - one draws the smoke out of his apartment into the hall, and the second blows it out the front door. While this is going on, the captain is talking to my neighbour.
It turns out he'd set his couch on fire. We had storage heaters, which charge up on cheap night time energy and store it in large blocks to release during the day. His couch was touching the heater, so when it heated up, it ignited.
For weeks afterwards, the hallway and stairs STUNK of burnt cheap couch. Somehow, though, dumbass guy didn't get evicted.
From that night on, however, I could not sleep soundly in that apartment. I was convinced the next one was going to be real, too.1
Most Helpful Girl
That's terrible. :/ When I was about 13, my neighbors house was badly burned, bad wiring in the garage. I remember the bright light from my room window, her crying in the yard, and me being so afraid my house would catch fire too.
Then when I was in high school, my mom accidentally started a fire in the kitchen of our home. I remember waking up to my cousin yelling to wake my grandma up and tell her to leave. At this point, I had 0 idea how bad the fire was. My dog's cage was in the hallway and she wasn't inside, I didn't understand why. But I had to get out, my sister ran out of the room (we shared) and I grabbed our cat in my arms and ran to the front door, the air was thick with the smell of smoke and everything was hazy. When I rushed past the kitchen, there was so much fire, my cat was wrapped tight around my neck and he looked at it. It was so scary. But we got the fire out by the time the truck came. It's amazing and we're so lucky it didn't spread faster... bc if the vent was on the entire attic would have burned and we would have been in much more danger. When I got outside, my mom had my dog (she walked her and forgot about the pot)