Have you ever been in a fire or know someone who has?

I just ask because my cousins house burnt down last night, half is destroyed by the fire the other half is destroyed by the water they used to put out the fire. We drove by it today after my interview because it was close by and I've never seen a house after a fire. It looks horrible and it's depressing even more so because he's my family. I think they pretty much lost everything, I'm not sure if any of it can be saved. Now my cousin, his two kids, his girlfriend and their dog are now basically homeless. I feel bad for him, he can't seem to catch a break.

So, have you ever been through a fire or know someone who has?

Most Helpful Guy

• About ten years ago, I lived in a little apartment in a converted house. The alarm was above my bed and would go off CONSTANTLY because the prick who lived on the top floor would come home drunk with his douche buddies and they'd burn toast or smoke too much and set it off in the middle of the night. It scared the crap out of me each time, but I am mechanically inclined and soon became very well acquainted with how to work the alarm control box in the lobby to silence the sounders, reset and then rearm the system.

One night, the alarm goes off. I duly get dressed to go turn it off and find my downstairs neighbour banging angrily on the box screaming at it to shut up. I nudge him aside and go through the shutdown procedure. As soon as I rearm the system, however, the sounders start going again. Three times and it keeps happening. I examine the indicators and the zone for his apartment is still lit. I tell him it's coming from his unit. He goes to check, and comes back to say "my living room is full of smoke."

I grab the extinguisher and go to investigate. I open the living room door and am met by a wall of acrid smoke. I tell the guy to go and knock on everyone's door and tell them it's a real fire, while I go outside and call the fire department. For the first time in my life, I am dialling those three fateful digits. Luckily, the station is just down the road and the truck is with us in a few minutes.

By now everyone is outside, and the fire fighters take one look at the fire before breaking out the breathing apparatus. Two of them go inside and are in there for quite some time. They eventually come back out, and go back in with two huge industrial fans - one draws the smoke out of his apartment into the hall, and the second blows it out the front door. While this is going on, the captain is talking to my neighbour.

It turns out he'd set his couch on fire. We had storage heaters, which charge up on cheap night time energy and store it in large blocks to release during the day. His couch was touching the heater, so when it heated up, it ignited.

For weeks afterwards, the hallway and stairs STUNK of burnt cheap couch. Somehow, though, dumbass guy didn't get evicted.

From that night on, however, I could not sleep soundly in that apartment. I was convinced the next one was going to be real, too.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's terrible. :/ When I was about 13, my neighbors house was badly burned, bad wiring in the garage. I remember the bright light from my room window, her crying in the yard, and me being so afraid my house would catch fire too.
    Then when I was in high school, my mom accidentally started a fire in the kitchen of our home. I remember waking up to my cousin yelling to wake my grandma up and tell her to leave. At this point, I had 0 idea how bad the fire was. My dog's cage was in the hallway and she wasn't inside, I didn't understand why. But I had to get out, my sister ran out of the room (we shared) and I grabbed our cat in my arms and ran to the front door, the air was thick with the smell of smoke and everything was hazy. When I rushed past the kitchen, there was so much fire, my cat was wrapped tight around my neck and he looked at it. It was so scary. But we got the fire out by the time the truck came. It's amazing and we're so lucky it didn't spread faster... bc if the vent was on the entire attic would have burned and we would have been in much more danger. When I got outside, my mom had my dog (she walked her and forgot about the pot)

• Wow, that's scary. I'm sorry about that.

• Thank you, it was a long time ago, and no one was hurt. I'm sorry about your cousin though, house fires are terrible but it's so wonderful no one was hurt.

• You're welcome and thanks. Yes, it was good no one was hurt.

What Guys Said 7

• Yeah, I worked in a Biotech lab, and we had a new girl doing some plating, and I was told she knew what she was doing. Somehow she set an alcohol cup, used for sterilizing tools, on fire!! She screamed, and the plastic container melted, and spread flaming alcohol all over the bench, and onto the carpeted floor, near some equipment worth tens of THOUSANDS of dollars!!
    I grabbed the extinguisher, and got it under control in a few seconds, but it wasn't something that I would want to experience again!!

• I'm sorry. Guess, she didn't know what she was doing after all huh?

• After she stopped screaming, and hyperventilating, I sent her home. The next day I PERSONALLY went through the whole process with her, and we found where she went wrong.
      It wasn't the way I like to teach, but she won't ever forget it!!

• Let's hope not.

• Yes, my bud Vinny. He worked for a welding/medical gases supply company in the city (NYC). At work a tank of acetylene gas fell and broke the cap off and the room filled with the grey gas. Everyone was evacuating and Vince's stupid ass boss told him to turn the lights off on the way out. BOOM!

He's ok and not disfigured, but was badly burned. I had the summer off and when he got out of the hospital, I hung with him , dressed his burns, kept his moral up and smoked a bunch of weed. His mom was a wacko, and his chick and mine were worried she couldn't care for him. He's fine, great guy!

• I've been in one fire, I was about 4/5 and I remember it so vividly. I have a scar above my knee I got when I was tryna climb out of the bedroom window. I remember being so scared to jump.

• I have when I was like six or seven back in New York. They called in the fire department to hose down my apartment.

• I was on the fire fighting team in the Navy... Some ships have small or large fires evey week sometimes daily we trained for it and I was on the damage control party that fights fires during combat..

• My best friend when I was younger his house burnt down when he was in elementary school

• I worked for a resteration company that basically after a huge disaster (flood forst fire) we would go into cities where 10 to 60 percent of the houses are distroyed and I meet some of those people and it's bad

What Girls Said 11

• Yeah, in high school a friend of mine's house caught fire and the upper story of their house was completely destroyed. One of her younger brothers had Christmas lights near his bed, which got really hot and too close to a flammable blanket.

Firefighters managed to save some of it, but they had to live in a hotel for a while and a temporary house until their old one could be restored. Luckily I think they had pretty good home insurance, and we were extremely thankful that everyone made it out safe and unhurt, but still, a lot of their valuable things and sentimental items went up in smoke. It was a difficult time and expense.

• I am so Terribly sorry, @loveisbeautiful, for your Cousin's loss. I always say there is nothing worse than a Fire or even a Flood.
    No, never a Fire, hun, but Once I encountered a Flood in my dorm where I was Staying. It was a nightmare. And yes, I have known others who have been in a fire and died, and Others who have Lost People they have Known and Loved.
    Losing 'Everything' is like losing all of your Life in a fire. Its memories that cannot be Replaced. However, thank God Everyone is Okay and No one is in Harm's way, and maybe with your own family at Hand, you can all Give them a Helping Hand where they Stand.
    Good luck and God bless. xx

• One of my houses burnt to the ground. My cat woke me up and there was smoke billowing in under the bedroom door. I had to break the window and put the cat out then I climbed out the the window in my sheer babydoll nightie. I lost everything that night including my cat. I never saw her again. The worst part is my nightie was so sheer everyone saw my pussy and my tits and for the first and probably only time in my life I felt awkward about everyone checking out my goodies.

Yeah losing everything in a fire is devastating.

• A house in my neighborhood was on fire. It was especially scary because it was in a community of tow homes so it's easy for the fire to spread from house to house. But yeah seeing a fire in real life is scary as hell.

I'm sorry your cousin went through that but I'm glad at least everyone got out safe.

• My sister was a firefighter in high school and partially through college. I remember a fire that was so close to my house that nights when I went to bed, I watched the flames. It so sad and depressing. Sending hugs to your family.

• No, but my scarf got caught on fire once xD

In all seriousness, witnessed a house not too far from ours burn down a few years ago. The owner was my mother's colleague/friend. It was horrifying. Luckily they've rebuilt it and now it looks better than ever.

• I'm sorry to hear that.
    It must be horrible.
    I've never been in a fire and I also don't know anyone who has been in one.
    But there's a lot of people who lost their house today. We had 186 fires in just one day.

• I don't know anyone who's been through that and I haven't had that happen to me.

• My parent's refugee camp was burned down back in the 90s, they really started from the bottom.

• No but my family has had bad luck when it comes to fire so I try to avoid any open flames and avoid potential fires. One uncle died in a car fire and my great grand parents died in a house fire which from what I was told seemed very suspicious.
    Im sorry about your cousin and his family, at least they are ok. Hopefully they can get back on their feet soon.

• When I was 10, my friend died in a fire. She was 10 too, her siblings survived. I think about her sometimes still.
    I was in a fire when I was like 6, I only remember parts of it. Wasn't that serious, just our kitchen and hallway got damaged.