I want to go but I feel like I won't fit in :(?

So I have this actor friend and he's been in some major movies. Recently he was in a really big one.. and he gets to go to the red carpet premiere in Los Angeles.

Anyway he invited me to go and honestly.. it sounds like a blast. But I feel really insecure about the idea. I don't feel like I'm fashionable enough and I'm afraid I get really anxious and overwhelmed.

He's already told his agents and stuff I'm going with him and given them all my info and it sounds like a great experience.. but I don't want to let him down so it's a lot of pressure.

Would it be fucked up if I just let my insecurity win on this and tell him to take someone else? I know there are plenty of beautiful women in the business to go with him. Or should I suck it up and go to say I did it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Just go mate!

How many people get invited by an 'actor' to go to a party with them filled with other celebs? I dunno cuz I don't know the anyone; you're the first I've heard of it happening too!

Firstly, I have actor friends myself and they are just as cool and awesome as anyone else!

Secondly, and this may be a bit harsh, but Celebs aren't the type of people to have higher opinions of other people. And if some of them do think that way, then that's a celebrity you shouldn't give crap about!

And lastly, (this may come off as insensitive too) why not? You're insecure? Overwhelmed? You tend to feel like that before you do oral presentations at work or school, but when you actually do them, you get the greatest high! So think of it like that, except tons better!

Enjoy your party!

Most Helpful Girl

• Okay look... If you don't go, I'm gna personally come kick yr ass myself. Srsly.

Two things bby.

1)
    As everyone else has already pointed out... YOLO / "how often does something like this come aroundddddd" / "holy shit what most people would do to be in yr place" / etc.

2)
    So... I think you might be nervous in part because you're thinking that this party is going to be full of smooth operators who are just SUPER gregarious and GREAT at socializing -- like, the big leagues of socializing, as it were.

Is that what you're thinking?

Because if so... ahhahhahahhahahahahahhahahah hahaha hahahha hahahaaa.
    Ha hahahha hahahahhaha hahaha...
    Ha ha.

Ha.

There's one thing you should realize about Hollywood RIGHT NOW, and that is this:
    Hollywood is the biggest collection of socially retarded, mostly introverted, misfits ANYWHERE.

Not kidding. If you think about the kinds of people who are drawn to acting in general, this should make perfect sense -- but, if you need more evidence, just google the phrase "extroverted actors" (without the quotes). Go ahead, try it.
    Even if you google THAT... you'll still get pretty much ALL hits that are either about INTROVERTED actors, or else about "So, you think actors are extroverted, huh? [... well, yr wrong!]"

Soooo yeah lol.

There is seriously NO pressure here at all. Since you aren't a star in the first place, very little attention will be directed at you. And since you'll mostly be hanging out with a bunch of social retards -- literally, *professional* social retards -- there will be even LESS attention on you.
    Yep.

__

I've been to a bunch of these things, actually. You'll see (BECAUSE YOU'RE GOING)... there are basically going to be exactly 2 kinds of people there who **actually know how to socialize**.

Those are:

1)
    People in the business whose jobs actually depend on socializing/networking -- agents, producers, PA's, and other miscellaneous go-fers and personal assistants.

2)
    "Typecast" actors -- like, say, Jack Nicholson -- who have no versatility in their roles on-screen, and are literally incapable of playing any character other than, well, themselves.

Literally, these will be THE ONLY PEOPLE at this event who are not pretty much social retards. It's actually hysterical to see how everyone else conducts themselves when they're all thrown into a room together and, like, forced to socialize without a script. LOL

So, yeah. Go, have a good time, and be amused at everyone else.

I WILL kick yr ass if you don't go.

This made me feel so much better xD thank you so much. In my head it's exactly like you said.. I feel like everyone is going to be smooth and I will feel out of place.

I guess the thing is too I care about this friend and this movie is important for his career because it's a BIG movie. So people are going to be paying a *bit* of attention to him and I want to make him look good.

Usually I dread stuff like this but then I go and it's not as scary as I thought and I'm good. We will see how this turns out but I can't really back out on him now I guess!

"In my head it's exactly like you said.. I feel like everyone is going to be smooth and I will feel out of place."

Lol lmao rotflmfao... yeah, I figured as much, when I read yr initial post.

Nope. It's not gna be like that AT ALL.

I *promise* you -- the environment will absolutely be dominated by the 2 kinds of people I named/numbered up there. Everyone else will be awkward af, except perhaps for initial introductions (which they'll have done often enough to develop a "routine" for).

I SWEAR... just get into a conversation with anyone who's NOT "type #1" or "type #2" above -- and watch how fast they get SUPER AWKWARD as soon as the initial introduction is past. ahahh it's hilarious, I swear.

srsly just go, and put yrself into the headspace of "the world is mah runway". Literally, just walk around as though you're on a catwalk, and everyone else is underneath you in the shadows (like at an actual fashion show). You MIGHT look at them... if they're lucky ahha

What Guys Said 15

• Go! And don;t forget, you spend a lot of time on camera, also. lol
    Really, you should go. Doll yourself up to the max and enjoy the experience. If you don't, you will be kicking yourself for the rest of your life.

• Go, it would be pretty dick to back out now. A lot of women that go to red carpets aren't dressed that unbelievably, (girl on fire) well haha. I'm sure you'll look fine.

• Just go! I'm positive you'll have a great time. Not many people get a chance like that and it'll be a good experience. Plus, since I assume you aren't well known, it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't go, you'll regret it and always ask yourself "what if?".

• If you agreed to go it would be kind of crappy to back out. Aside from that, the focus won't be on you anyhow, so just show up, smile, look pretty, and let him get whatever attention he's going to.

• Just go hun you'll have fun!

• He want's you to go with him, there's a reason for that.

Ask him if you should dress a certain way, he would be more accustom to what is expected.

It's a rare opportunity though, so I wouldn't throw it away. Try to enjoy yourself.

• It is. That's what I keep telling myself to just suck it up. But I have bad anxiety. I don't want to disappoint him :(

And he said I could borrow one of his friends dresses. We would be staying with her and her body is similar to mine (she is an actress).

• I guess it's that I care about him too and I know it's a big deal and he's counting on me to make him look good. So there's pressure. I dunno we'll see.

• Aside from how much or how little help I was, I wish ya luck. XD

• Suck it up and go.

• Only live once, never give a chance for regret to haunt you in the future

• Go, you might not have another chance

• Well i think you can fit in. You shouldn't be insecure no matter what. And also he invited you to something like that it would be rude if you reject him.

• Don't worry. Since you're not a star, nobody will be looking at you anyway.

• Buck and go. You'll be exposing you're self and you you won't have to do those cam shows anymore

• This happened lol

• LA... is this all indoors with like FILTERED air? :)

• Ok ok... who's the actor? What's the movie?

I'm curious over here haha!!

But you should shake your doubts and what ifs and definitely go.

• Lol! I can't tell you that but I can tell you it's a movie that you will probably go see. And you will definitely see previews for it. It's all A-list celebs

• My friend is not A-list but he knows everyone in that world and they know him

• Ahhh to vague a hint... the teasing cruelty 😋.
      All good... Still go though :)

What Girls Said 10

• you HAVE to go!! if you don't you will regret it your whole life. Life is made out of experiences and this certainly is a big and exciting one. Don't ever let your insecurities hold you back from anything, and if you go with a great predisposition, you will have a great time :) Good luck!

• Thank you, your enthusiasm was comforting. Even if it's a total disaster it'd make a great story one day right?

• exactly!! haha, that's what I'm talking about :)

• You should go. This is what you should do before you go; pick out your best outfit or buy a new one, style your hair, put on some makeup and feel like a queen! I think there's a good reason he chose you to go. Take the opportunity.

• Go have fun! And fuck the cameras! And all the people! Go have fun with Your friend! If You don't like it You can always leave. ^^

• It might be a bit intimidating and awkward at first, but I'd brush it off and go. It can end up being a really lovely time and experience. You never know who you can meet.

• If you truly won't have any regrets about your decision, tell him to take someone else.

To me, step and repeats are truly horrible and something I can live without.

• No, communicate. Tell him you are nervous. If you really don't want to go, he will understand. If he settles those nerves, go. Don't just blindly cancel or torture yourself and go.

• Go and have fun. Dont over think.

• Well I don't know how often he asks it would ask in the future but it's sorta like a once in a life time chance, I think you should go and enjoy yourself. maybe have a drink before hand to relax you but don't get wasted and make a fool of yourself

• No, you should go. You will have a blast! Don't let your insecurity win! Wear a pretty dress, a little bit of make up, not to much so you can show your nature beauty. All these women will wish they were you. Some of them have gone through plastic surgery to look that way. Don't forget to have fun. 😊

• Just go, you'll be glad you did.