Why do religious people dislike tattoos?

I have like something like seven 7 different tattoos. None of them are racists. Some dude came up and noticed my tattoos. He said that he hopes that God will find a way to kill me and people like me have no right to live, because we have tattoos.

Just curious and just left without any drama

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, at my place there is custom of getting tattooed for religious reasons (Catholics actually), so you probably just stumbled upon an idiot, it doesn't matter whether he is religious or not.

What Girls Said 18

• That depends on what religion are you talking about. Being a Christian doesn't make a person religious unless they themselves conform to religion. First of all that guy is way off base, and have the nerve to tell God what to do to you.

Your not supposed to ink "make markings" or cut into your skin to get anything. Or shaving of your head. Not only is getting a tattoo toxic and poison, but back in those times getting a tattoo was used to mark you as something, like priest in ancient Egypt did to do rituals, and the pagan gods they worshipped. Bond by blood and in spirit with occulted practices, which back then they practiced witchcraft. So when he talked about that he was referring the old testament laws. The law was not do away with, but Jesus came to fulfill the law. So even when a person becomes saved and accepts Jesus in their lives, those past sins are done away with. You are a whole new person. Of course if your not, then your in sin, naturally.

Try not to hold it against him. I don't know if this person is Jewish or not, but he was way off base to even talk to you like that.

• because religious people and the church tend to hate every damn thing in the modern world nowadays, they're very destructively opinionated

they'll hate on anything from tattoo's, to drugs like birth control pills, to contraceptives, to sexual orientation, to artworks from greek/roman sculptures all the way to anime, to modern fashion and hairstyles, to modern medicine and surgery that extends human life, to the Apollo space program, to exoskeletal prosthetics, modern cyberization, to Human Augmentation

they'll hate every damn thing until they finally die (hopefully soon) or until they're finally killed as an organization and religion, nothing good has ever come from religion, they're responsible for so many heinous crimes against humanity that they could be considered worse than the nazi's at some point in history.

so do yourself a favor, if anyone comes by you and insults you like that again, flash a big finger on them and tell them their days are numbered.

(i believe in god, whether its yahweh, allah or any other diety, and i believe in the 10 commandments, but i refuse to believe in the church and the "laws" that they keep making up to try and fail to control humanity's surge forward into the future, the vatican will not be allowed to stop humanity as a species from reaching for the future.)

afterthought: while i was reading this i was actually watching a recorded live-stream on twitch that heavily influenced what i said just now, i hope you enjoy watching it too :)

https://www.twitch.tv/deusex/v/81526366

• You must have just run into a miserable person. I am a Catholic Christian, and we don't actually have an "official" teaching on tattoos, to my knowledge. Some view it as defacing the body God has given us, but others (such as myself) don't have a problem with it. The only time it would be considered sinful is if it's an obscene image or something... but I would think that pretty much anyone, religious or not, would agree that something of that nature would be pretty tasteless.

• I guess it depends on what religion you are referring to, but I still thank that's a broad generalization. I think more conservative people might not like tattoos. I have family members that are very religious and they have at least one tattoo. My aunt and uncle, who spend most of their time at their church and are in their 50s, got matching tattoos last year.

That guy that talked to you seems like he has his own issues.

Not sure what religion or if he was religious. Just some random guy

• I'm religious and have tattoos. In fact many from our church have tattoos.

• That's stupid. I'm super religious and I want my guy to be covered from head to toe in ink. I'm gonna get tattoos too.

• That guy was nuts. I have nothing against a tattoo. I work in HR. And we wouldn't hire someone that couldn't cover their tattoos. It doesn't look professional.

• People always have something to hate about. Just ignore the guy and live your life the way that you want it to be.

• Religion can sometimes be an excuse to be an asshole

• Gosh that is awful! People like that give Christians a bad name. I personally know about 5 Christians that have tattoos.

• Because they hate too much. They hate that I have tattoos and also that I'm bi sexual.

• Whaaaaa no I love tattoos!

• The idea is that your body is a gift and creation of god. By adding tattoos you feel that God's creation is imperfect and needs to be changed. This is blasphemy to critique or mar the work of God.

and since when was that a sin? i don't see it in the 10 commandments, do you? everyone has a right to do whatever the hell they want to do to themselves, to restrict that freedom is to violate one's own right as a human being.

@renogaza gets my feathers ruffled when people down vote when I'm explaining something. Just because it's the truth doesn't mean I agree with it.

sry.. i honestly didn't know :(

• Sinful to mark up your body

• because they said and in the bivle says that your body is a temple of god. if you ruin it your rain the temple

• It's because their religion implicitly or explicitly forbids tattoos

• No, one I know in my religion has tattoos. If I got one, which I never will, they will think my nuts were loose. To tell you the truth, that guy had no right to just walk up to you, and say "I hope that God will find a way to kill you and people like you have no right to live, because you have tattoos. That is so wrong! We don't just go around looking at people, and then close ours eyes and pray God will kill them! That guy has some serious issues! :/

True Christians don't judge! God is the one who judges all! 😒

a true believer of god would never wish someone to die by gods hand.

• The guy was being extreme and not all of them hate tattoos, I think its to do with the fact the body is sacred and using it as paper to ink on isn't nice

What Guys Said 11

• There are two reasons.
    First, there is a command in Leviticus against tattoos.
    See:
    Leviticus 19:28
    You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.
    The other is that tattoos are one of the recognition badges of the criminal underclass. Having a tattoo, or tattoos, does not transform someone into a criminal as though by magic, but if you run up the pole a flag that declares you to be a member of the criminal underclass (whether you are or not), you should not be surprised when people see you as that.

• Some fundamentalists have an issue with it, per Leviticus 19:28.

http://biblehub.com/leviticus/19-28.htm

I'm no tattoo fan, but if someone came up to me unsolicited and started trying to tell me how to live my life by their book of fairy tales, I'd tell them to go fornicate themselves with an iron stick.

• I don't think being religious has anything to do with liking and disliking tattoos.

• not all religious people-but I think all abrahamics. ie Judaism, Islam and of course Christianity. They think it's a defilement of the body.

But more to the issue-why do they feel compelled to impose their beliefs on others? Because these are narcissism religions-religions of superiority. They are threatened by anyone who isn't as duped as they are. And in the case of Christians, since it's the easiest religion there is to practice and requires ZERO self improvement since jesus forgives all sins... what else is left to do but harass others...

the church has always imposed their own beliefs onto others, why do you think the great crusades happened to begin with? because of the pagan's and muslims, Catholicism is solely responsible for the destruction of the Holy Persian Empire.

@renogaza I'd agree completely-and likely the destruction of the Library of Alexandria... greatest loss of knowledge in history-who ELSE would it be lol

i wouldn't be surprised if the Catholic church destroyed the Library of Alexandria, because they have been suppressing history, science and knowledge for over a millennia, from the Great Crusades to the Dark Ages, to the Mass Murder of the 1st Illuminati, it was always the Church.

• I am not religious AND I dislike tattoos.
    I won't ask anyone to kill you LOL

• Any one can do what they want with their body, however in a strict view of some religions our body is a perfect creation of God, so there are those who fallow that point of view probably taking as example a master piece of art. If you start to mark a master piece of art it looses the value it had, therefore it loose beauty. To be honest I love the tattoo designs but I wouldn't like to have any tattoo , I rather keep all natural in that sense.

• what makes you think this fool was religious?

surely a religious person would be accepting?

Do you think an atheist would scream the word God out loud?

Oh I get you. By religious you mean someone that believes in God.
      I thought you mean religious as in someone who practiced their religion.

For example you can have a religious Christian and a none religious Christian.

• According to the bible your body is a temple of the holy spirit, it does not belong to you.
    In other words, altering your body with tattoos, piercings and the like would be considered a desecration of the body you were given by god.

Yeah I never read the bible before

Ok, I see what you mean. I don't want to get into an argument, but at least let me clarify what the verse you referenced means.
      The Israelite would pierce, cut, tattoo, and harm their bodies to leave marks and remember their dead. It was a common religious practice taught by the pagans and the bible did not condone it. But that is not the case with just getting a tattoos or piercings to adorn yourself.

@Nate1941 I know the context of that verse, or the part about the bible just being a bunch of hogwash to suit the sentiments of its creators back in the day.
      But that is not how it is presented in the bible and indeed many Christians will interpret the bible as the literal word of god.

As for whether that is not the case with general tattoos is just your assumption, the verse is rather ambiguous in that regard.
      And if we want to be really religiously thorough, we can't possibly consider tattooing (which is a form of self mutilation by any definition I know of) to be an ok thing to do when the bible clearly talks against the disfiguration of the form you were given by god, and if we have a reason to doubt we can't go ahead with the decision for it would be a sin to act without the full confidence of faith.

So as stupid as it seems, I can see plenty of evidence against tattooing in the canon and nobody really has the right to judge whose interpretation is the more "right".

• Because I like the human body how it is naturally, I don't like it when people change the natural body.

• because jesus said so

since when? and why the hell do we even have to follow jesus? because he says he's the son of god? yet the bible says that we are ALL supposed to be the children of god, and the quran say's that jesus was a PROPHET, not the son of god, so as far as i'm concerned he can keep his opinions to himself, especially after destroying arguably the most advanced and influential ancient empire the world has ever known.

@VirginiaBeachBum he said tattoos are fir hipsters

• i dislike tattoos period.. it has nothing to do with whether i follow religion or not..