How to move past an intensive state of depression that makes me feel dead inside?

My spirit feels so hollow and empty and all of my vivacious vitality is gone. I don't want to talk with a professional and deal with the awkward barriers of being comfortable with a stranger and unloading so many private psychological details with a stranger face to face. I want to cry but it's like my body won't let me. I feel such a deep sense of sadness. How can I move past this? It's really becoming a heavy distraction and preventing me from staying focused on my priorities. Please help me out?

Most Helpful Guy

• See a psychiatrist. It's their job to evaluate and medicate you, which does not require you to go into much detail. Depression kills!

I concur with @palek on this one. Don't leave that kind of question with us amateurs, we can only speculate. Seek out someone who knows what they are talking about and can assess where you are in your depressed state.

; - )

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know if what I'm going to say helps but I understand where you're coming from, I know what it's like to feel a void eat away at everything and all that's left is a shell. Well, for me that's basically what it is. I feel like a walking corpse and yet no one around me seems to notice, or at least ask me what's up. And I lose interest/focus on my priorities as well, so annoying especially when something important comes up!
    Some people will say go outside and interact with people, like friends or family, maybe talk to someone you care about and trust about this. (But personally I find it hard to do this one.) Anyway I made a list of some things.
    What I find that could help are;
    Reading, something non-depressive, preferably funny and adventurous (avoid doom and gloom) (well it might hep it might make it worse, it helps me sometimes to read bad things, dunno why.)
    Watch movies, shows, anime, youtube videos that would make you laugh or does, or try to at least.
    Drawing/writing out my feelings, venting it out. I used to write journals and they helped clear up my mind and organise the mess of thoughts and emotions.
    Maybe if you play an instrument try playing out your emotions, or sing if you sing...
    I like to spend time outside as well, especially with my cat. It's like my own therapist who doesn't judge me! (So reconnecting with nature might help.)
    Keeping busy is a big one.
    Try and channel the negativity into something productive (I usually have to force myself or go on 'auto-drive'?). Sometimes writing out a list or timetable to do certain things will help give you a focus for each day or something, so you know you have a purpose. It makes me feel better when i have a purpose for each day.
    I like to clean as well.
    And exercise. It's supposed to be good for both your head and body, so try that I guess?
    Physical contact like hugs (and holding hands?) are great sometimes, depends on the person though? Some people make me feel better than others.
    There are a few more but I can't think of them right now, I'm not sure if this helps. It might, it might not. But these are some of my coping methods I guess? It's probably not moving on as much as trying to get through it...
    But I hope you are able to revive your "vivacious vitality"!

What Guys Said 4

• Strangers are exactly who you can talk with. True story. The fear of being open with others is preventing and provoking you from moving forward in life at this moment. Your listening to strangers opinions right now. Just get out of your comfort zone and make a lot of effort to resolve your fears becuase really that's all they are.

• If I knew that I'd tell the world.
    If I could solve the world's problems I'd probably start with hers and mine
    But they can put a man on the moon
    And I'm stuck down here just barely scraping by.

• I don't know. because my depression is still in my heart from last year. I hope my predestined girl will come to save me.

• why are you depressed to begin with

What Girls Said 3

• I was diagnosed with severe dep. when I was 16, so I know how you feel. Motivation, concentration, energy, it's all gone when you feel depressed. Honestly I had to go through a lot of stuff to get where I am today but something that helped was making a small journal entry every day and rating how I felt on a scale of 1-10 in each entry too. Group therapy actually really helped me to articulate my thoughts, and explain how I felt. I'm praying for you, I know it's hard. Keep fighting!!

ALSO please do not go to a general practitioner if you can help it. They can put you on meds but they don't really know how each depression meds works and the side effects of them. See a real psychiatrist.

• I think that you need to sit down and think really hard about what you want and try to overcome it slowly. Tbh just go to a general practioner and say how youve been feeling not any private details and they will prescribe you medication, it helps a lot, i have been in your position.. just dont tell all the personal things

• Don't compare yourself to others, stay strong, you are not alone.