Is it likely that Cinderella's stepmother and stepsisters also physically abused/bullied her?

Apart from her dress getting ripped to pieces by the stepsister, I have a hard time believing that she was just ordered to do the chores and screamed/scolded.

I know Disney is unlikely to show the real, completed version but if she was made into a slave for 10 years (since she lost her father at the age of eight), I would assume her stepmother and mean stepsister also physically abused/bullied her sometimes too right?

The only time it's shown that Cinderella was physically abused was in Ever After when the nicer stepsister heals her back wounds, after the stepmother whips her. She got whipped because she punched the mean stepsister who had been nasty to her for so long.

3mo It's only on the 3rd sequel however, the stepmother is given a more sinister role. She actually wants to have Cinderella killed.

Most Helpful Guy

• “The Cinderella story as we know it now is largely the product of the simpering 1950 animated Disney film: companionable mice, a fairy godmother who doesn't question her only ward's decision to go to a strange party solo, and an incredibly tiny-footed heroine, so miniature in the tootsies I've always doubted her ability to stand. The Cinderella story is so enduring that it's even been remade as a live-action version with Cate Blanchett as the evil stepmother, out this March. But, frankly, the filmmakers are missing a trick: if they wanted to seriously pull in theatre goers with a tale of gore, inexplicably helpful foliage, far too many lentils and bird-armies, they should have gone back to the fairytale's original source — mainly, the Brothers Grimm."

“See, in English, Cinderella has two written parents: Charles Perrault's Cendrillon, published in 1697 in his Tales Of Mother Goose (yes, Mother Goose was a dude), and the Grimm Brothers' Aschenputtel, which came out in their fairytale compendium of 1812. It's a popular story across many cultures, with China's own Yeh-Shen folktale, for instance, replacing the fairy godmother with a fish. One academic's managed to track down 345 versions of the story, written down and spoken. As a species, it seems, we really like good girls going to balls in disguise."

If you're interested in reading more here's a link:
    www.bustle.com/.../61053-9-things-about-the-original-brothers-grimm-cinderella-story-that-are-nothing-like-the-disney-version

In Slavic folklore she's known as Vasalisa the Beautiful and the infamous witch Baba Yaga even makes an appearance.

Interesting.. thanks

What Guys Said 4

• Well, the original story for Cinderella was Chinese (which is pretty obvious, given the whole glass-slipper thing, and the big hullabaloo about Cinderella having the smallest, daintiest, prettiest feet in the Kingdom), and dates back to the 9th century; in it, the magical fairy godmother's the reincarnation of Cinderella's real mum, who was killed by the evil stepmother and stepsister. So is it likely that Cinderella was severely physically abused? Of course- how is this even a question?

• What I don't understand is how Cinderellla didn't sentence them to the death after becoming the princess

Me neither. I also don't get how Cinderella all of the sudden forgave the red-haired stepsister. At least in Ever After, one stepsister was always nicer.

• I have red the epic of Cinderella. They were extremely abusive to her in the book... Not the happy BS story that Disney made it out to be.

• You know that's just a fairy tale, right?

I know. I'm just asking because I'm an analyzer. If someone was made into a slave like Cinderella was for 10 years, I would assume there would have to also be physical abuse/bullying involved.

What Girls Said 1

• In the original story she was abused by them, and I think one or two died if I'm not mistaken. The Disney version is a fictional retelling to make it family friendly. Do research on the original stories and you would be shocked.