How is life in california?

hi im from Europe and want to move to california (studying), how is life there? is anyone here from california? would you describe it a bit?

and what would you say is california better or new york

Most Helpful Guy

• expensive. I grew up in northern california and lived in LA for 5 years. do not go there for college. it has an absolutely horrendous job market. i will say that the weather is much better than out here in vegas (it is hot as shit, all the time. you can't go outside for 10 minutes without feeling like a frying pan) but rent is half the price for a better apartment and the job market is much better. Don't get me wrong the job market still sucks, but its better than LA. Frankly they say hollywood is the place to be when you work in entertainment, but its not, you got a better chance of sticking in Europe and finding a job in london, or going to vancouver. New york is also very expensive in terms of housing. As far as outside the big cities, yeah, it gets cheaper. If you want a big house in cali it WILL cost you millions of dollars. But i'm just saying if you move out there, don't go there for school, go there when you actually have a job offer. You need a way to pay the bills. Lest you get stuck there with a degree that doesn't help you find work, you spent all your money on rent and you can't buy a plane ticket out of the city anymore. That sound boulevard of broken dreams, thats what that is about, the people who went to LA with big hopes, lost all their money, gave up on their dreams and got stuck there.

all that said i really miss the city and there is a lot more to do there that is enjoyable. Vegas blows. i like new york too. its just a matter of whether you're fortunate enough to survive the fickle economy. most, do not.

What Guys Said 6

• Besides being expensive I enjoy leaving in California because there is so much to do. I'm not a rain person so I enjoy the warm and yes many time hot days. I think California is better than New York to the fact that there are many great cities but their is also so much natural beauty about Cali.

• Expensive as hell, that's how it is. But I'd say it is slightly better than New York, since it's cold as balls up there.

Also, try to stay away from the bad areas if you can, since California's got one of the highest gang populations in the world.

• It's always hot here, and only one reason it's better than new York is because it's less crowded here. and rent is hella expensive , other than that it's ok I guess😊

• Great, just watch out for the bears

27.media.tumblr.com/...m13uwfX1UN1qamp35o1_500.jpg

• I live in san diego, Ca. the weather is nice but a bit boring cuz it's the same almost every day - warm and sunny. It hardly ever rains.

Places like los angeles aren't much different than new york city in the sense that they're very dense and congested and LA traffic is the worst.

Don't know what else to tell you unless you ask specifics.

thank you. and can you tell me a bit about universities in california

I went to san diego state university for graphic design and didn't learn much about design and actually learned more from books, videos and websites. But then again I also went to a university in virginia and didn't learn much.

That has more to do with the teachers sucking than the university itself which was generally fine. There seem to be a lot of german foreign exchange students there. not sure why.

you'll probably learn more about the university you want to attend from this website than from me though. http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/

thanks a lot

• California is overrated. You need to come to OH

What Girls Said 3

• My friend used to live there and he says it's awesome. There's much more freedom and it's just more fun. Watching the sunsets here remind him of Cali and I can tell he really misses it even though he doesn't talk that much about it. We plan on going on a road trip there later on :)

• California is so big that describing the state as a whole is impossible. In general it is a better lifestyle the New York

^^ this.

... for instance, the two posters on here who've described California as "hot all the time"... HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO SAN FRANCISCO. Fucking winter in the middle of summer

@redeyemindtricks I like my grass green but slight yellow with a Merlot wine. I have special shoes for rockclimbing and a helmet for bicycling. I have a bicycle the cost of thousand dollars so I didn't buy it. Who the hell can afford a bicycle for thousand dollars. I have four different kinds of shoes running shoes walking shoes working out shoes and shoes just to wear when I'm not wearing the others

Oh, it's *you* again.

• life is good just make sure to get rid of all ur winter clothes
    i.ytimg.com/vi/Iey7_N_mEx4/maxresdefault.jpg