I'm moving out on my own and food prices are too high, any tips on growing a vegetable garden?

Any tips would be appreciated.😄

Most Helpful Guy

• good for you, I love the garden! grow things that produce a lot. I don't know your area so...

Green beans: can get several crops.. I like the bush variety Dragons Tongue
    Peas: good for several weeks
    Lettuce: Get a lot of it
    tomatos
    Cucumbers... Pickels: jar them, saves $ and can give as gifts instead of buying stuff:)
    Blueberry bush: messy, but yummy!
    Potatos: grow like weeds. Sweet potato aswell, but is different, need to buy slips. I've not had great success storing them yet, so give them away.
    Invite neighbors and do a veggie swap
    Kale: grows like weed, good in smoothies and salad

Things that are more intensive and thus more work/cost
    Watermelon - need lot of fertilizer and water.
    Corn: grows well, but Raccoons get it before I do.

Other:
    start a compost pile of kitchen scraps (veggies, egg shells) and get some red worms in there to make compost out of it... that's your fertilizer.

Thanks for all that awesome information.😊

welcome, glad to see you want to get into gardens. thanks for mho!

What Guys Said 14

• In the summer you can't produce vegetables to both feed yourself and sell via a roadside stand. Find a plot of good, dark soil and be sure to deficate in it liberally for best results. If you choose to work a large garden you'll need to hire some local kids to stop by each day to poop and spread it among the vegetables. During the winter months I recommend planting some potatoes and vegetables in your bum!

• lots of sun
    water in the mornings
    put up something to keep critters from eating your veggies
    try not to use fertilizers
    try growing herbs. they are easy to grow and are often expensive in the stores

it is a little late in the summer though for gardens unless you live in a warm fall/winter climate area

Thanks for the information.😊

• Don't forget to rotate your crops each time. That is, don't grow the same veg in the same place each time. Rotate root crops, brassicas and climbers.

• I would advise you choose vegetable that you can regrow again and again making it very cost effective.
    Here's an article on vegetable you can keep regrowing and eating very frugal and smart in my opinion
    www.icreativeideas.com/.../

Thank you for the information.😊

• Potatoes...1 pound of seed potatoes can produce 25 pounds of potatoes in a harvest. They are also easy to grow.

• I grow most of my things at home, if you need some help around anything feel free to pm me, I'd be more than happy to help :) .

• Its too much hard work for a weak little girl like you just higher a Gardner.

• Yes. Go on YouTube and check out California Gardening. I found that channel very interesting. There are even step by step instructions how to make raised bed gardens, which you can buy kits from Lowes or Home Depot.

Thanks for the information.😊

Also, you might want to try out some cereals. Find a few different ones you like. Even the name brand ones are very cheap considering the amount of meals you get out of a box. Plus they tend to have lots of good vitamins. My favorites are Captain Crunch, Coco Puffs, and Lucky Charms.
      If you want something quick and microwavable, Spaghettios are good. Not for every day because of the calorie count, but they also have lots of vitamins. Try that with a cold glass of 2% milk. Mmmm.

• It will probably not work since you are not producing on a mass scale

• First piece of advice: Don't ask for gardening advice from people on a dating, relationship, and social betterment website.

• Go Hydroponic ( just don't grow weed it doesn't look like fennel )

• No but a can of tuna, mayonnaise and some kind of seasoning is always good when ya poor.

• Where do you live? City? Country?

• Fantastic but I doubt that it's gonna be that easy.

What Girls Said 1

• Do you have space & time for that?
    Honestly I'm not living with my parents (due to boarding school and now college) since I'm 16 and I feel like regional vegetables and fruit are among the cheapest foods you can get. That might depend on your location though.