Have you ever gotten so depressed that you stop brushing your hair or caring what you look like?

I have days where I feel so bad that I just don't care. While other times I try my best to dress my body! Is anyone else like me?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. After the appeal against my permanent expulsion from school, for causing £9.95 worth of damage to a wall display with my head (it's a long, long story), failed, I went through a period of depression which was so intense that I gave up on absolutely everything for a few months- before that, I'd been intensely driven, an almost obsessively organised cleanliness freak. But during that period, I stopped caring about anything- my life was over before it had even begun, so what was the point?
    I didn't just stop brushing my hair, or stop caring what I looked like. I stopped venturing out of my bedroom, stopped changing my clothes, stopped getting out of bed, stopping brushing my teeth regularly and washing my face and wearing deodorant, and practically stopped eating. There was no point of doing any of those things any more. I even stopped bathing for a short period; the first time that I had a bath after being expelled, I lay in the bath for almost two hours trying to drown myself in it, and hated myself for being too weak to do it- hated my subconscious for forcing me to surface for air and breathe when I was consciously trying with all my might not to. I had no friends, no-one to turn to. I've never gotten any counselling or support- I had to get through it all on my own, get over the complete destruction of all of my life's dreams, hopes and previously realistic ambitions (repeatedly- it would happen again and again, to the extent where it's become the story of my life) and 'be a man'. And to an extent, I never have completely managed to get over it entirely.
    I'm not suicidally depressed any more, but I'm still depressed- I still feel so bad that I don't care about myself a lot of the time, but I also know that in spite of how little I care about myself, I still care about myself infinitely more than anyone else ever has or ever will. I know that no matter how much effort I put into looking as good as I can, other people are still going to think that I look like shit. I still try my best. I still go through the motions, because I have to. I still fight as hard as I can, because there's nothing more that I can do on my own. But just because you're doing your best, doesn't mean that your best is going to be good enough. Life isn't fair- some people have walks in the park, others have to soldier across a constant battlefield. And there are only so many gunshots to the chest you can take.

by the way, I'd really rather have said this in a private message, but that wasn't even an option. Why?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know if it's considered depression but there have been days when I get so down that I would just stay in my pajamas all day... Hardly eat, don't even wash up, or care what I look like. Days like these I just stay in and don't feel like going anywhere or doing anything, and don't even wanna talk to anyone.
    Usually I feel this way because of some reason, like someone hurt me or something happened. I don't just feel down for absolutely no reason.

What Guys Said 18

• Sure, that is the first thing I do when I am sick or sad. Forget to shave in the morning, neglect to get my hair cut.

Just paying attention to growing can help break thorough a spell of sadness or depression; that's why girls, for example, often go shopping when they feel down.

• On my worst day, though very rarely, I have been feeling like that :-(
    What's best to do is:
    - Get into nature, fresh air makes you relax and relaxing will make you feel better :D
    - Make plans to solve the things that make you feel bad. Even if it's a 15-steps plan, it will make you feel in control and that will give you a mucht better feeling!
    - Talk to your friends. Don't close up, seek shoulders to cry on or listening ears whenever you need them. Also, being with friends will give you a good feeling :D
    Come on Apple, better times will come :D :D :D

• I just view that as being lazy, at least when I do it. Or I pretend I'm becoming one with the couch. img.buzzfeed.com/.../...age-8270-1300406355-43.jpg

• Yes I've had days where I just let myself go and sit on the couch all day eating crap and looking and feeling like shit.
    As long as your able to pick yourself up again then its ok to have an off day or 2

• The only reason I brush my hair and such is because of one of the reasons I've been as depressed as I am. I still live with my parents because of my f***ing epilepsy! But I'm sure I've told you the whole story a hundred times, so forgive me, your highness... 😣

• Flip the undies inside out... no brushing... room filled with glasses and bowls of finished cereal... no shower, shitty feeling...

can't say its gone that far yet... but we all have our days, its good to express them and let me play out for a short duration until the person Figures out what the underlying trigger is

• I don't care much about my looks but I'm very far from feeling depressed (these years).

• That was me for a bit. I just kinda said to myself one day, "Who are you trying to impress?" and only do basic grooming to look presentable at my professional job.

• Nope. Depressed or not, I still watch my appearance. Mostly with my hair and facial hair. I hate going out with neck beards because I look very scraggly which is why I have to shave my neck almost every day.

• Yes, for me its how often I brush my teeth really. If i'm REALLY BAD off I don't end up brushing my teeht

• Sorta, I'm usually always depressed but as long as I look presentable I could care less. Other days I do care and want to look my best

• Do I look like I ever did?

• I have days where I just don't want to do anything, yeah

• I've had moments where I get like that and then regret it

• I shower, brush my teeth everyday but I've never cared what i look like. Ill go out in sweats, cut off shirts with flip flops any time of the day.

• Yeah I even end up not showering for days and just don't talk to people.

• Oh yeah

I think of death daily

But because if my family I stay here

• I stopped combing my hair after sixth grade. I haven't done it since. What does that have to do with depression in your opinion?

I thought you have a bald head, or a really close buzz cut, or something? Mb confusing you with someone else

@redeyemindtricks He has a masters degree, works in IT at a large retail company, and owns his own home. He's doing alright. He made plenty of poor decisions that will influence is opportunities in life, but he's smart enough to manage it and tenacious fight though it.

Glad to hear. Give him a hug next time you see him, from... someone else who knows. <3

What Girls Said 14

• Mmm yep I think that's a sign of depression , and yep I've gone through those fazes... Sometimes they would last a day , other times they would last a couple months... But you gotta pick yourself up , dress up , and try to make plans with friends... And set a few small goals 😊

• Use to be like that; when I was younger I hated clothes shopping and couldn't be bothered to dress my best. Now I'm trying different styles of pants and tops and starting to develop some fashion sense lol :)

• Yes and no... When I'm that deep I'm the dumps I won't be leaving my house except to walk my dog and if I can get someone else to do it I won't get out of bed.

• Yes. I stop washing myself for days. I always brush my teeth but I won't shower or wash my hair, I won't brush it, I wear dirty clothes cause I don't care about what I look like. It's horrible.

• If people stop brushing their hair and caring what they look like when they're depressed then I must be depressed all the time

• Yep. I end up looking like medusa, don't look me in the eyes when I'm upset. I said don't look!

Dammit! *adds you to my collection of statues*

• No, I care too much what others think for that, but that happens to many people unfortunately.

• YES! I have days where I find it hard to get out of bed (every day, I'm lazy and not a morning person) or take a shower because it just doesn't seem worth it.

• Yeah I reached that all time low before.

• Yes sometimes it happens that I have a bad day that I can't even notice my flaws lol.

• Yes, when my dad passed away my sister would do my hair and makeup because I was so depressed; I couldn't even function for the first month.

• Yeah for days

• Lots of times.

I'm embarrassed to admit it but sometimes I can barely shower and I smell awful and look awful.

I wonder if people suspect something's wrong.

• No but I did have severe anxiety.