Why can't dogs eat chocolate?

Why can't dogs eat chocolate?


0|0
14|8

Most Helpful Girl

  • "The reason that chocolate is dangerous for dogs is due to one of the chemicals found within it – Theobromine. This is perfectly harmless to humans thanks to our digestive system; however it’s a different story for our four legged friends. Due to their inability to metabolize it fast enough, it can lead to a toxic build-up."

    1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

  • "A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea. With large amounts, theobromine can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack. The onset of theobromine poisoning is usually marked by severe hyperactivity."

    www.hillspet.com/.../is-chocolate-bad-for-dogs

    "The simple answer to your question is yes, chocolate is toxic; however, it is the ingredient theobromine that is contained in chocolate that is toxic to dogs. The toxicity is based on the amount of theobromine that the animal ingests when compared to the animal’s weight. It also matters what type of chocolate is ingested because the amount of theobromine in chocolate varies.

    Any dose of theobromine over 45 mg/kg is potentially toxic and possibly lethal for dogs and should be treated aggressively by your veterinarian.

    As an example, milk chocolate contains 44-64 mg theobromine per ounce of chocolate β€” so an average sized 80-pound Lab would need to ingest approximately 30-50 ounces of milk chocolate for a toxic dose. That is almost 3 pounds of milk chocolate! However, unsweetened baking chocolate contains 450 mg theobromine per ounce of chocolate. That means that same 80-pound Lab would be at a toxic dose after only 3.5 ounces!"

    www.animalhealthfoundation.net/.../

    0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 13

  • Its poison to them as well as very toxic. Their bodes cannot process and break down the chemicals and ingredients that its made off. They can die from that if it becomes fatal. So since I have dogs and if I have anything with chocolate, I always make sure to wash my hands throughly and dry them, so that I won't get that around them for them to lick my hands. And that includes my face as well.

    0|1
    0|0
  • Their digestive systems are different than humans. My dog recently got into my secret chocolate stash. She is already very healthy so it wasn't a big deal. We monitored her and she vomited it up herself and she had the shits all night. If she didn't throw up or we couldn't make her throw up, we would've taken her to the vet.

    0|1
    0|0
  • Because it can make them go blind and is in general just very detrimental for their health.

    0|1
    0|0
  • Chocolate contains cocoa and cocoa contains the compound theobromine. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and other pets at certain doses. Chocolate poisoning is a problem that occurs mainly in dogs but also occurs occasionally in cats or other animals.
    - SOURCE: kb. rspca. org. au/why-is-chocolate-toxic-to-dogs-and-other-pets_476. html

    0|1
    0|0
  • I guess it's because dogs don't have periods

    0|1
    0|0
  • A dogs intestines can't digest the chemicals in chocolate sadly😥
    If only they knew how pleasurable it is when the Coco hits your pleasure center.

    0|1
    0|0
  • Because they're watching their weight :)
    Dogs are very body conscious :)

    0|1
    0|0
  • because they don't know how good it is

    0|1
    0|0
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PsmXYzs9AZ0

    Sorry, I had to πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    In all seriousness, there's a whole list of shit dogs can't eat. Chocolate contains something that's toxic to dogs, I'll leave it up to nerds to explain what exactly.

    1|0
    0|0
  • Their digestive system can't process it like we can. They can't eat grapes or raisins, either.

    0|1
    0|0
  • They cant?

    0|1
    1|0
  • I'm not saying to go feed your dog a lot of chocolate but mine eats it all the time and is still living. I will hide it and put it away and she still gets to it and eats it, she's jumped up on my counter, the stove, table anywhere to get what she wants, I just clean up the wrappers when I get home and see it.

    0|1
    0|0
  • They just can't

    0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

  • Cocoa is toxic to dogs.

    Also, a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips.

    0|1
    0|0
  • It can kill them. Also anything with too much sugar can cause a dog to get diabetes within a few years. My dad used to give candy to his dog because he couldn't resist the begging, and the dog got diabetes and eventually went blind and couldn't walk and had to be put down. It really sucked.

    1|1
    0|0
  • google. com is a hell of a search engine.

    0|1
    0|0
  • Tummy ache maybe?

    0|1
    0|0
  • Its bad for their liver i have heard.

    0|1
    0|0
  • i give my dog a bar every night

    0|1
    0|0
  • silly dog treats are for kids

    0|1
    0|0
Loading...