What does "pay off" mean?

Please help me to understand it. I even don't know what off means , and also i still couldn't figure out how the word pay and the word off can be used together. I am not even sure if my sentences are gramatically correct or not. I hope you 'll understand me just fine and help me :)

0|0
4|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Pay off means that doing an act gets a reward. Example hardwork pays off meaning that working hard comes with rewards.

0|2
    0|0
    • 3mo

Hey girl if you can explain me why we use "pay" with the word "off" i will appreciate you. i am sorry it is really hard to understand for someone who speaks my language

• 3mo

We use pay to show that someone put work into something-their time and labor. Off means that what they put in is released to them in a form of money or other rewards.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• "I didn't pay off my student loans".

It means the person didn't pay.

0|1
    0|0
    • 3mo

Then why dont we just say 'i didn't pay my student loans' ? Why do we use pay and off together?

• Show All
    • 3mo

Oh i've just realized your profile pic after i 've read your last example 😄😄

• 3mo

Lol oh dear

• Depends on how it's used.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well a great example... Comey got paid off not to prosecute Hillary. Or Hillary paid off Bernie to endorse her.

0|1
    0|0
    • 3mo

I don't understand what happens to Comey when he gets paid off

• 3mo

He gets money or is promised job security.

• 3mo

Why do we use the word pay with the word off there? Do you know this? I am sorry if my question is silly i just try to understand this language

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!