What does "pay off" mean?

Please help me to understand it. I even don't know what off means , and also i still couldn't figure out how the word pay and the word off can be used together. I am not even sure if my sentences are gramatically correct or not. I hope you 'll understand me just fine and help me :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Pay off means that doing an act gets a reward. Example hardwork pays off meaning that working hard comes with rewards.

Hey girl if you can explain me why we use "pay" with the word "off" i will appreciate you. i am sorry it is really hard to understand for someone who speaks my language

We use pay to show that someone put work into something-their time and labor. Off means that what they put in is released to them in a form of money or other rewards.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• "I didn't pay off my student loans".

It means the person didn't pay.

Then why dont we just say 'i didn't pay my student loans' ? Why do we use pay and off together?

Oh i've just realized your profile pic after i 've read your last example 😄😄

Lol oh dear

• Depends on how it's used.

• Well a great example... Comey got paid off not to prosecute Hillary. Or Hillary paid off Bernie to endorse her.

I don't understand what happens to Comey when he gets paid off

He gets money or is promised job security.

Why do we use the word pay with the word off there? Do you know this? I am sorry if my question is silly i just try to understand this language

What Guys Said 0