How's my drawing coming along?

I just wanna see what you guys think of this one, this time I'm drawing Venom. I'm using mainly charcoal for this one if any of you were wondering. Feedback and criticisms on how I could improve is welcome! Suggestions for a background will also be taken into consideration
How's my drawing coming along?

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with dangerDoge and just want to get more specific with some of his points.

Tonal values do need a bit of work as a whole, like he said, but specifically on the neck part. As it is right now, there is too much contrast on the side of his neck for just that bulge, giving the illusion that his neck ends where the white part ends - does that make sense? X) Anyway, it makes the neck look really thin and kinda disconnected from his head. It would help to make the very top of the light part just under his jaw as dark as the tones adjacent to it, so as to make the neck look thicker and more connected to the head, and then gradually lighten that to about halfway between your darkest and lightest tones to set that bulge back a bit. This is really hard to explain, but hopefully you get me. 😅

The eyes also look quite unfinished. :? Just be careful with the shading on those, because the way that the side of his left eye is shaded right now might make it look like his eyes are bored into his skull when it should be the opposite.

Also, his shoulders look a bit weird. It looks cut off from his chest, when it should be connected to it, particularly to his collar bone. You can easily fix that by just softening the edge of his chest though.

I think those are the only obvious ones. The "nose" just needs to be a bit darker on the bridge. X)

The gums could use a bit more color and also maybe the teeth a tiny bit of yellow. A deeper red on the tongue would tie nicer into the overall picture as well, as I imagine it'll look rather gloomy. It would also look reallyy cool if you added a bit of blue to the dark parts, since shadows are blue, and then a tinge of orange or yellow for the highlights to really give dimension to the drawing.

I don't really have a suggestion for the background, X) but I just wanna tell you to be careful with it. Strategically set it according to its tone, like say for example his forehead is dark but his right eye is light, the background behind the forehead should be light and behind his eye dark so that your subject don't get swallowed into the background and be emphasized instead by the contrast you created - well, if that's what you're aiming for, that is. You could always do the "crawling from the dark" thing where you can just partially see the subject. Or you could do a combination of the two! X)

All in all, I think you have a good start here. :D

Most Helpful Guy

• Not bad!

Couple criticisms (which you may or may not be addressing later on anyway):
    1.) Given venom is an almost pitch black character, you may want to consider making the lights and overall values a little more dark. This will also help the eyes and spider pop on the chest pop out more, since there won't be any competing whites on it. It's difficult since it's black, but I think you generally just need to make things darker and then make the contrast very subtle.
    When trying to determine how dark to make the values of certain parts, I first find the lightest part of my drawing and the darkest part. I then base everything off that. Stuff that is in the mid range shouldn't be as light as the lightest part (in this case, the eyes) or as dark as the darkest part.

Same goes with the reds for the tongue and gums. Comics tend to use very bold colors, and I think that this drawing would be aided by a bit bolder red on it.

2.) The blending could use a bit of work via texture. I like how you blended it on the whole-- the lights to dark are smooth. However, the texture of it is very colored pencil-ish pre being rubbed with blender or finger. Given it's charcoal, I wouldn't suggest using your finger to rub it (since the oils), but I do suggest getting a blender / cotton ball / piece of paper / paper towel / whatever and blending the values finely to get a smoother texture. This will really make the drawing pop a lot more and seem realistic.

As for the background, I imagine a sort of purple swirl like this.
    thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/purple-swirls-824314.jpg

Keep in mind this is all my personal criticism towards your piece. In the end, the decision is yours as an artist to determine whether or not to take heed to my advice :)

Dude honestly, I haven't said this but you're always a great help with your feedback. I do realise now I will have to go darker considering how he actually looks, thanks for reminding I was gonna forget and keep the rest of him as light as it already is. Also just wondering, but is blu-tack gonna be as effective of a blender? I tried it a bit but I went back to my finger, I found controlling it was easier than having tack accidentally squish and spread the charcoal elsewhere on the paper. And that little swirl gradient thing is nice, I'll be sure to think of some sort of fade thing or something similar in mind. Thanks dude!

I honestly don't know. That is why it's always a good idea to have scratch piece of paper no matter what drawing you are doing.

I would suggest getting a scratch piece (of the same type of paper too) putting a bit of charcoal and testing various things out to see how it works. Testing it straight on the piece could damage the work (or at least cause a lot more trouble).

Ok sure, I have plenty
      more of the same paper I'll do some tests on it

What Girls Said 15

• Really good, well done :D Only thing I could suggest is use more colors, not just one type of pink/red even black. I am not sure which reference you are using but usually you get hints of other colors within the black (blue, purple sometimes even green, they are subtle but there). This would really make the image "pop" out. Also careful with using simply white highlights, again look at references more closely (but the highlights currently also clash with the white background, so if you change the background it should be better). Anyways, awesome drawing, keep it up :)

Thank you, you're right about the colours, Venom does have subtle shades of purple in him as well. I'll think about that, maybe add it later but thanks for the feedback

• OMG!!! Most Amazing Talent, @Somewhat_Normal.
    I See as Well, I can Tell, that You have a Future here, dear.
    Good luck and Keep going. xx

• Amazing drawing! As for your background, it'd be interesting to see burning/wrecked buildings, like sky scrapers that have been damage in a super brawl 😂 Good luck my friend!

• very good drawing

• Shit that's awesome
    I can't draw so I started making digital art instead lol

Lol thank you, is making digital art any fun?

No prob. I def think if you just digitize your current art you would be able to sell it online really easily

Lol thanks for the advice, I can't believe I didn't think of doing this before lol

• Don't really like the subject matter but holy damn you have a talent. It's beautiful.

• i think it looks really good its venom right

• given the fact that I'm also 16 and still draw stick figures- you did a really good job. For the background you could poss consider just doing some really cool black shading or some spider webs

• Cool pic.
    I keep imagining a huge thought bubble.

• Looking good man

• It's sick

• It's vert good :) you are very talented

• I like it

• It's beautiful really talented
    Check mine

Thanks, also are you talking about the one in your profile pic? If so, that's honestly pretty amazing, I don't know if I could ever draw realistic figures like that haha, I don't know if I'm that skilled yet

Technical drawing course
      Also I paint portraits etc stuff like that
      I'd say painting in general
      And no I don't have it as a school subject

Wow it's cool you're doing all that, certainly sounds a lot better than the stuff I'm stuck having to do anyways, it's a lot more painful haha

• Awesome!

What Guys Said 9

• It's nice. It looks like it could make for a cool desktop wallpaper when finished. I think a background with purples and dark blues would look good. I imagined a simple nighttime cityscape behind him when I first saw it, but a color gradiant/fade should work too.

I think the pose is great, and I like how you're mindful of the contours of his face and muscles. I do have some similar thoughts as dangerDoge with respect to going a bit darker overall.

On a general note, one thing to work on as your artistic career continues is developing your feel for the picture's light sources, and how they impact the shadows and highlights of your figures. "If my primary light source is here, is there light hitting this spot, either directly or reflected? Is it in shadow cast by other parts of the figure?" I can tell you have it in mind, just keep developing it. There are plenty of resources on the internet about the finer points of light and shadow as well.

Thanks man, I was keeping the light source in mind actually but I think it went a little off in some parts, I might be able to fix it up possibly later on so there's a definitive source. Also did you have any specific shades in mind if I were to do a fade background?

Something like:

https://i.imgsafe.org/f078f0dd97.png

One thing you can do is make mini mock-ups. Draw small rectangles on a piece of paper, draw a very very simple venom shaded as you have here, and then try out different themes and color schemes to see what YOU like. Sometimes it's hard to figure out how the background will impact both the subject and overall picture until you see it.

That seems like a good choice with a purple gradient, I'll also definitely be trying that mock-up thing. I remember doing something similar in art like 2 years ago but I think it'll definitely help me out in trying to find what would suit Venom best, thanks dude.

• This is actually pretty cool dude. Props to you.

• Sick, man Keep it up!
    I love that villain

Thanks, I was actually planning on doing more like Carnage, Toxin, Spider-man himself and more lol but that will be a while away

This motivates me to draw again :)

• Showing your work before it's done brings back luck bro. That's like the number one rule of painting.

• I like it. I'd put more depth and outline to Venom's eyes. For a background, maybe part of the NYC skyline or to be Marvel/DC related, part of Gotham, I suppose.

How should I put in the depth? Because I noticed his eyes are white all over, I'm just not too sure on getting the shades to make it look less flat and more curvature on his head. Also thanks for the idea bro, that sounds pretty cool!

Yeah I'm not sure how to put in the depth maybe it's not the word I'm thinking of. Any time man. :)

• WOW well done! Venom is one of my favourite characters all round ahhaah

• looks dope, you have skills my dude.

• it looks awesome, post the finished version too!

• looks like shit fgt

Thanks bro! Can I ask why you think that? Because right now it sounds like blind trolling hate, I would like some substantiated foundation for your argument, that is IF you have one of course besides the fact that's it 'looks like shit' and because I'm a 'fgt.' Learnt to spell a bit better as well.