Work place sexism. Where does it end, and am I wrong in this case?

I work for a fairly large company, but their individual stores are small and cater to local communities. Its actually a really nice company to work for, however the middle/upper management are mostly female. Thats not a problem in itself but this last week I was attending some training as a supervisor and one of the subjects was workplace sexism and sexual harassment.

I agree everyone needs to feel safe at work and as such its an important subject, but im really pissed off because it seems as though there is one rule for women, and another for men.

A female colleague of mine made a joke and said that she's all for equal rights so long as the men do the heavy lifting (we deal with bulk bags up to 30kgs) and got plenty of laughs. I then made a joke and said i'll happily deal with the heavy stock if the girls make the tea... I got a fucking disciplinary because some stupid bitch complained.

How is it fair that women can stereotype men, but as soon as we say anything remotely sexist we get shit on. As a result I now refuse to help any of the girls at work when lifting heavy stock, and state that we are all equal and as such girls are just as able to lift heavy loads by themselves.

Most Helpful Girl

• Indeed, it is unfair.

It actually reminds me of a time where I was asked, in front of quite a few people, if I was Mexican by an Asian girl. I stayed quiet for a moment, along with everyone else, and it bothered me because I was in the middle of a sentence, not really because I was offended. Instead of answering her question straightforward like I probably should've, I retorted, "Yes, are you Asian?" Right then, everyone around us was saying things like, "Wow, that's so racist!" :/ I had to stand up for myself, and responded, "Why is it okay for her to ask me my race, but not me her?" It made no sense whatsoever. Then they all fell silent again.

What I learned, though, is that people are too sensitive, and will easily get offended over trivial matters. Granted, these were 12 year olds at the time, but it still applies to many people of all ages. Sometimes it's best to stay silent, or if you're not afraid, speak up for yourself, because obviously no one else is going to do it for you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh wow, that's typical.. It's just the society we live in now unfortunately and no I don't think you're wrong. If they decide that you can do certain jobs just because of your gender why can't you do the same to them? I think you should address these concerns to the management, there's no equality so long as men do this or women do that. If they're serious about preventing sexism then they need to be fair to everyone and if you don't get a solid response from them you could threaten to take it higher. I've seen job ads where they openly say that women are preferred because they're trying to diversify their company... Now if that's not sexism then I don't know what is. Who cares if you're a man or a woman just do your job and I'm sure most women will agree that they'd like to be seen as equals and given a job based on their own merit and not because of their gender.

What Girls Said 1

• It's not fair, personally I'd have laughed at your joke. What happened to you was unfair, childish and uncalled for.

What Guys Said 4

• I agree with you that this was really dumb of them. Unfortunately, America has a huge problem with political correctness. Having a little bit of political correctness is not a bad thing. It's good that people think twice before they speak. But in the US it has reached levels that practically all non-Americans and even many Americans find completely absurd. You live in a climate where you constantly feel like you have to censor yourself because somewhere on the other side of the country, somebody might possibly feel offended by something you've said. It's a good example of why Americans aren't quite as free as they like to think they were...

• You got in trouble for the comment about women making tea? Are you frigging kidding me? Upper mgmt. Should have offered the offended severance pay... This whole world has gone to the damn crapper

things have indeed gone to shit. Its to the point that i refuse to lift bulk bags by myself anymore and will ask for assistance. i dont need it, but if the girls can get away with it then so can i.

Equality will always work in their favor regardless as to what's going on

• That is sexism. If one sex can make a joke about the other sex, both sexes can make a joke.

• YOU HAVE BEEN DISCIPLINED BY THE FEMINAZIS.

You can't do anything. You are an enslaved person. It ends when feminism ends.

on the plus side i now take great joy in watching the girls struggle with the bulk bags, and feign weakness when it comes to lifting heavy things. Fuck em, we can both play these games.

Better not to play any games... just fight against human rights abuses and expose the nature of women... have a noble heart and people will eventually accept your noble point... play games and people will see that you're being a bastard, and thus find reason to demonize you