Do you think this 13 year old boy who hung himself for being bullied would still be alive had he stood up for himself?

just a couple days ago this 13 year old boy tragically hung himself after being bullied and was ignored when he tried to tell teachers.

Think if he stood up for himself against his bullies things would be different?

Read the article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/staten-island-boy-13-kills-school-bullying-article-1.2749245

Most Helpful Guy

• Remember that Australian kid who bodyslammed his bully against the curb?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSd9rjiCHlc

I bet that kid watched wrestling lol

@cavmanier Yeah, I think you're right.

That dude was too fat to arch properly for a German suplex...

What Girls Said 19

• If he stood up for himself he would probably have been expelled for expressing violent behavior.

• Oh, God!

Yes, things would be different, but he was a little kid... they can't be expected to have the confidence to stand up every time. And obviously his mental health way extremely fragile. My question here is where were the parents.
    It might've helped if he put those things out of his mind when he got home, or was just less phased by it all, but those are things you can't really control at 13...

It's sad... and unfair.

• I think it's hard to say. It can be really hard for some people to stand up for themselves, and if you don't do it with enough confidence, it will just fuel the fire sometimes. That is absolutely unacceptable that the teachers did nothing about the situation though. This is a really sad situation.
    When I was around the same age, I had an issue with a group of teacher's pet grade A student boys teasing me, and it started to get out of hand. The teachers didn't do anything about it either, so I eventually did have to stand up for myself, but sometimes it just made them want to keep doing it because they thought it was funny when they made me upset.

• I think that getting support would have helped more than standing up for himself.

• No, he was a child, and the adults wouldn't help him (that's happened to me on a smaller scale, this kid was calling me names in 3rd grade, so, I got up and told the substitute (I was obviously scared and upset), and she told me to sit back down) Sometimes children feel like they have no where to go, and that's tragic, and his school SHOULD be held accountable for 1) encouraging the bullying (the gym teacher) and 2) never helping him.

• I don't think it would of hurt to try, but if it didn't do anything for him, we all would still be reading this article. He needed support more then anything. What I was taught in high school was if we had any issues (inside of school/outside of school) that we could go see and talk to a teacher.

It's terrible how this ended up anyways.

• Who's to say that he didn't? Some bullies feed off of that. They want you to get mad and fight back. So they can go even harder. The school should've been more involved. Or at least listened to what he was trying to say. It's so tough to see these situations end like this because I've been there. And have wanted it to all just go away. And bullying is 10x worse now so I couldn't imagine. It's just sad.

• He shouldn't have even bullied in the first place. I doubt defending himself would have done anything tbh. He would still feel and hear everything people are saying to him. Poor kid/:

• I want the bullies to be made to feel so terrible about themselves that they know how this young boy felt in his last moments, and then I want them to be thrown in jail. They are directly responsible for this kid's death.

• Who knows but maybe he might, though having the teachers actually listen to him would have helped too.

• He would still be alive if he did that and those asshole teachers should have done something when he talked to them about it. I hope the school gets sued, the teachers fired, and the bullies locked up.

• Bullying is a problem but the true tragedy was the help wasn't there when he needed it. If it wasn't bulling it would have been something else without the proper support.

• I think the school should be held accountable for this. Also the bullies and the bullies' parents.

• If someone would have helped him this probably wouldn't have happend. Poor kid

• It's not that easy to determine. He obviously didn't have parents with the "eye for an eye" mentality. I've always been taught that if someone pushes you, you push them right back. He clearly wasn't.

• 0|1
  • Yes, he would have been. He looks so adorable and happy in this picture...

• I can't believe bullying still exists! " Standing up for himself" would just get him into more trouble/fights. He needed support and love. I feel terrible for his parents. RIP😓

• Rest in peace, dear child.

No, I don't think that would have made a huge difference. My opinion is probably unpopular, but I don't think bullying leads to suicide. I think mental health problems lead to suicide. I have mental health issues, for the record. And there's a good chance my sister committed suicide, though it was ruled an accidental overdose. Don't get me wrong, I think bullying is terrible, but I don't think it's the only catalyst.

We NEED better, more affordable and more accessible mental health care. We need to stop looking for reasons other than the fact that mental illness is real to blame for mental health problems. For some reason, our society can't seem to accept that they are very real and much like diabetes or other physical disorders you have to manage your whole life.

what about if the teachers actually did something to stop the bullying, think it would stop his suicide?

@toad-1 this is mho right here.
      @pinkanon
      I know in my soul that this young boy has found peace

It's so tragic and of course the bullies are terrible - but that doesn't change that depression, anxiety and more serious mental health issues are generally behind suicide and we don't take them seriously enough. How can a teacher who only knows how to each reading or math know how to help with the vast complexities of the mind? But we act like mental health is somehow less real than physical health.

If better resources were available, so many societal woes would be decreased - drug abuse, violence, suicide and so on. 😔

What Guys Said 18

• Thanks for A2A!

Yes, of course. I was bullied till I turned 17. Bullying is a test, for survival, like animals. I was bullied because of my looks. I was fat, shy and had teeth like rabbits. My classmates used to call me names and hit me. I told my teachers, some teachers warned the bullies to not to call me names while rest did nothing but laughed because of how pussy I am.

I told my dad and he said that I should hit them back. Then one day, I was in park playing with my friends, then that bully came to attack me. I blocked his attack and slammed him to the wall, he started crying and said I didn't do right. After a few weeks, he tried again and took a beating. I learned a lesson. Bully or get bullied.

I'm not saying to bully people, but you gotta be strong. Accept your flaws. Everyone has them. In my teen years, there were a lot of bullies ready to beat you and show dominance because of increased testosterone. I always kept a weapon like screw (taken out from the bench, pointy pen and drawing compass) They all were lethal and legal in school. I managed to win fights from the strongest students of the school and their big brothers. I had to ridicule and take action instantly so that bullies will think twice before approaching me.

So, yeah! I agree. You are on your own in this world full of selfish and mean people. Suicide is not a choice. You have to tolerate pain in order to be a tough guy. Of course, not everyone can fight back, but everyone must, in order to survive. There are ways to get away too. You could apologise or do them (who are so strong) some favors. Don't take action in name calling, no need to fight over that. Accept that, but don't tolerate violence. Everything is about mind-games, capability and timing here. I believe that it's school's responsibility, but you can't be dependent upon them. Parents should teach the kid and let them aware about what's they are going to deal with in future. I feel so bad for his parents.

☮ PEACE ☮

screw (taken out from the bench), pointy pen and drawing compass

(Brackets closed at wrong place)

Do you think what ShaeNielson says in her answer has truth to it?

Probably. Depends upon the school staff. But, most likely no, considering how apathetic they were regarding his complaint. They don't take any actions. Had he been stood up, he'd have made it alive.

• He probably would be, the only way to get a bully to stop is to stand up to him or her and show them that they can't push you around anymore and that you won't let them. Liberals and teachers and go happy hippy guru's would have you believe violence is not the answer but when it comes to bullying violence is the right and only answer to get it to permanently stop.

If he had been my son he would have already been taught in martial arts by that age and he would have the confidence, the tools and the guts to stand up for himself. Both his parents and his teachers should have been there for him, and his father should have at least taught the boy how to defend himself.

I know this to be true because I was bullied physically and verbally almost to the point of abuse and I was younger then this kid was I stood up for myself, I learned how to fight, I got bigger, faster and stronger. And for over a decade since I was last bullied I was never bullied again and I made it my duty to stop bullying were I saw it. It's a terrible thing but if you sit there and take it, it will just get worse and worse, the only way to stop it is to stand up for yourself, if someone pushes you, you push back harder and you make sure they don't get back up.

That's the way the world works, the strong survive and the weak perish, don't allow yourself to be work, force yourself to become stronger, so that your not prey to predators. Because that's what bullies and all the other bad people of the world are, predators, who prey on those weaker then themselves.

• He might stand up for himself and get the crap kicked out of him. Or he kicks the crap out of the bully. Then he either gets left alone, or the cowardly bully gets his friends together to ambush the kid somewhere away from adults and kid ends up hospitalised or dead.

• A lot of things could have helped him. I think better parent guidance would have given him the best tools to deal with life. Of course not all parents have good advice and parents put different amounts of effort spending the time and energy monitoring and trying to help. Terrible story

• He didn't have the heart for life, what makes you think he'd have the heart to stand up for himself?

• Only if I was there smh :( that made me tear up not gonna lie

Bullying is NEVER ok. Me being a victim too, I know how it feels like :( not until I started fighting back and now I'm not messed with as much. I don't care if they're 13 year old bullies, I still would have beaten the shit out of them if I new what was coming 😭 COME ON PEOPLE, STOP TRYING TO FIT IN AND BE YOUR OWN PERSON!

• I have to say yes he would be. If he stood up to the bullies, they eventually would have backed down, and the bullying would have stopped, and he would still be alive.

• That is just sad , I can't really judge a kid about did he stand up for himself or not , it's just sad really

• Holy Angels Catholic Academy.
    Neat school name.

Shit teachers.

• Poor boy. Standing up doesn't always work, I should know. It would work if you have only one kid bullying you but if its a group it wouldn't so much. I think the kid needed support from adults. Parents and teachers both should take these problems seriously.

• I dunno if this is politically incorrect but yes, he would have been alive.

Why do you think standing up for himself would make any difference here? does that really stop bullying?

It probably does. The world is not a fair place.

• Very sad. =( We can only guess as to what would have been different. If it was so bad he hung himself I have to imagine it was bad enough that the teachers should have responded.

(I'll read the article in a sec.)

Okay so, I have a few issues with his family. That aside, it sounds like he tried to stand up for himself, at least once.

I'm not sure I feel that the vilified teacher did anything wrong either. The biggest issue was the absolute utter lack of action. This is why kids don't bother to tell authoritative figures anything. =\

• Yes and probably would of had a great story to one day tell his child growing up

But im sure it wasn't his choice. Given his brain anyone would of done the same

"But im sure it wasn't his choice. Given his brain anyone would of done the same "

What do you mean? can you elaborate?

Of course anyone given the sets of possible outcomes his mind is willing to generate for him at any given point... combined with his exact enviromental surroundings growing up, would probably do the same.

Do you believe that you have free will Toad...

• No I do not,
    May be rest in peace

• Yes I do. This all too common and tragic.

I do. Daniel Fitzpatrick's family needs to sue the shit out of that school.

• Maybe he did and they overpowered him. Bullies have no compassion. It makes me sick.

• No the bullies are the ones fault I hope their lives are ruined.

• its not just the bullies, its the classmates that witnessed but did nothing also responsible... .