What is your opinion on Defense Lawyers?

They seem to get a bad rep, yet they are absolutely needed if you were wrongfully accused of something.

What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• i agree, if anyone was wrongfully accused of something it makes sense, you want an attorney that can act on your behalf to provide evidence of that, but if they are the attorney for a criminal defendant then that is well despicable. Why'd you defend a criminal in the first place?

There's been times where the defense attorney doesn't do what they are suppose to do and do a poor job at it. There was a man in his late i think 50's who was in jail for 20 years of his life as they accused him of murdering his wife. When they reopened the case, they figured out that he didn't in fact murder his wife. They were interviewing him on a 60 minute news case. So if they get a bad rep, they're doing a poor job.

What Girls Said 8

• I think that it can be an incredibly immoral job, though so can the prosecutors.

media.giphy.com/media/glmRyiSI3v5E4/giphy.gif
      Immoral? How so?

And as you're irreligious as you've stated, what is your code of morality?

@MakeShiftThug If the lawyer isn't sure whether they're guilty or not, then defending them and therefore making a fair trial is okay. But if the lawyer genuinely does know that their client committed the crime, then they shouldn't defend them. There are obviously some lawyers who will defend someone even though they know they committed the crime because they know they can put forward a convincing enough argument to get them off and will do it for their own gain. Innocent in the eyes of the law does not genuinely mean innocent. If the lawyer has no doubt that this person is not innocent, then defending them is unjust.

Na fam, I ain't about that life. Mans should have a fair trial n that. In my opinion that system you described wouldn't work. As you know, we have a right to an attorney.

• Hmmm, like scummy accident lawyers, they can kiss my ass. Getting rich off of their lazy clients ripping someone off when they aren't even hurt.
    Beyond that, I have little idea of the bad rep defense lawyers get off the top of my head... are those the people that defend you for 'free' if you can't buy a lawyer. And they have a reputation of being really bad? (like in TV shows)

• *they're necessary for giving fair and competent representation to the accused
    *they mostly exist not so much for determining guilt or innocence but for working out a favorable plea/sentencing/settlement deal given the evidence (e. g. life in prison v. death penalty; robbery v. larceny; lowering bail)

• Real defense laws I don't have much of an opinion on them.

The ones in Ace attorney aren't as cool as the prosecutors. :D

• As you said, they're necessary in helping prove the innocence of some people.

• I think lawyers can be uptight. I love free spirit people.

• I like them so as long as they fight for justice.

• Lawyers have saved me from MUCH in life + are never ever boring + have a great energy.

What Guys Said 17

• In our country we have a right to an attorney and to be represented by one in court. So its necessary. Its also the right to have a fair and speedy trial.
    It may not logical and they may be scums of the earth but necessary. How the sleep at night I don't know. How they work with murders especially those freaky ass ones I have no clue lol

• I used to wonder why a lawyer would defend a person that just killed 5 people, and I still wonder why. But Defense Lawyers are necessary if you've been wrongly accused, so my opinion on them will depend on the case.

• I think that everyone has the right of being defended. So, defense lawyers are necessary. Not everyone is a perpetrator, like you said.

• They can be the best or the worst persons for some, according to the situation.

• Everyone is entitled to a fair trial and that means having legal counsel.

• They are important to have. If gag gets sued, you wouldn't want them to go out of business right? 🤗

• Necessary evil.
    Guilty people shouldn't get off unpunished, but unfortunately they are needed to protect the innocent.
    I really don't now how they can defend some of the shitrats they encounter.

• innocent until proven guilty. but u can't hide ur secrets from God who is the ultimate judge. therefore, i am asking Jesus to be my #1 defense lawyer to save me from my sins.

• They own very large boats, have eye candy secretaries and have breathtaking office views if they successfully work for the mob. Had one who was a friend of my father fight for me when I got hit by a car as a kid and almost killed.

• The Best Defense lawyers are found in England , trained in British school of thought and Jurisprudence. The reason is majority subscribe to the leftist ideology.

• We've all gotta make a living somehow.

• What is with all the Ace Attorney questions as of late, Toad? Por que?

lol this has nothing to do with those games, i actually been watching this documentary series on netflix called 'Making a Murderer' and the defense team there is pretty good.

I tried getting into that show, the first episode bored me half to death!

I really liked that show, @Toad-1! It made me questions some of these same things.

• They are more necessary than prosecutors because of how many innocent people get put on death row.

• They are like doctors. No one likes to see one but you'll give them your life savings if you have to.

• As a law student I understand their importance. They ensure everyone gets a fair trial.

• It depends. The ones that go all out to protect people that are seen in a video committing a criminal are the ones I don't care for. Those who fight against a case of biased justice is the one I support.

• eh? who says they are wrong?