Would you marry a doctor? Even if they have to be on duty for long hours?

I'm just curious.
Can you be understanding and stay with them?

Most Helpful Guy

• What I've seen, most doctor's spouse is a doctor. That doesn't mean other way is bad , many great couples are like that. At some point work does take your most of the time, higher in case of doctors. But some things worth mentioning
    • high paycheck
    • free medical treatment n supplies
    •high repo
    things can workout great if there's good communication.☺

can things workout if he can't give his attention to the family?
      I don't know where I read this but this husband would be really busy with work so much so that he would be tired and sleepy most of the time.
      Which made me assume he works maybe from 7am till 9pm everyday.
      and even on the weekends he would get calls from his work : /

☺ tysm for MHO

lol welcome!

What Guys Said 13

• In my experience the longer hours revolve around residency. Beyond that, I don't believe they work the 12 hours shifts like nurses. (I could be wrong) Even if so, they get more days off (again, like nurses) so that could counterbalance the longer days.

• 1|2
  • Not really. Basically i'd be have all the restrictions of a relationship w/ little upside and benefit. The main plus for most would be able to say "im dating a Doctor...".

The question could be phrased as ""Would you marry a [insert well paying profession]? Even if they have to be on duty for long hours?".

• Yeah I can understand I've actually already been with someone who has a familiar career, same field, medicine but more dangerous circumstances.

• Maybe, I would have to weigh the pros and cons based on her other characteristics.

• yes of course!!

• who would do such a stupid thing !

• So marry someone that is in one of the few professions that get paid more than a engineer, why not?

• fuck no. and no d2 dentists either. liars all of them.

• id date, cause i work long hours myself,

• no since doctors are bad people.

• I have worked 12 to 16 hour days before so sure

• From what I've seen, not many doctors wind up getting married

What Girls Said 26

• Yes of course. I'm used to people around me working long hours, espeically 3rd shift. So it wouldn't bother me as long as we can make time to be with each other. Plan dates, and even just sit and watch tv for a bit at some point, and talk about our weeks.

• I myself am going to be a doctor, and I can't imagine marrying someone who's not a doctor. Not that I wouldn't be willing to, I just feel like we wouldn't have a ton in common but if we did I would be down. :p

• I'd prefer not to.

• Yeah.
    My boyfriend has a job where his hours are long and unpredictable. Also long distance.
    It's hard but you just gotta deal with it.

• Yes, I plan on being a doctor-so, we'd be working similar shifts hopefully. If all else fails, we can take long long vacations with our amazing salaries.

• Yes of course I would. If we found a way to make it work through out the time we were together (dating) then I think we would be able to make it work after we got married. And just like I would respect/understand his job and his long hours hopefully he would as well.

• I dated a doctor once. I didn't mind the long hours, and the times he had to cancel plans due to work. I do like spending time with my guy, but I have a lot of other things to do, like my own work, hobbies, and friends. He got a great job across the country and we both felt the relationship wasn't going anywhere long distance, so we moved on.

• Yeah. It's their job. I'm a "get consumed with my job" kind of person too. I can work for 10 hours then come home and talk about work for 2 hours.

• Yeah I'm very attracted to doctors in general (^_^)

• I would. My boyfriend is thinking about becoming a doctor and me an astrophysicist, so both of us doing long hours and/or weird hours

• Absolutely. If you know any, send them my way.

• Yes. I feel it's necessary to accept that you have to spend some time apart especially if it's to work. You don't work you don't eat. And a career that great would call for sacrifices like that. Its only fair to be understanding and supportive.

• Sure, as long as we still get to play doctor ;)
    I mean I'm busy all the time too it would make me feel better that he was doing something with his career while I'm doing something with mine.

• Yes I would

• Nope.

• If you love them, yeah...

• my work also requires long hours
    so as long as we're compatible, not big deal

But I have noticed that it becomes a problem especially after having a baby

when that happens some sacrifice has to be made on one end
      my family knows a lot of people who are married to doctors
      usually they will just synch their schedules or move into a private practice where they have more control of their hours

• Nope.

• Well yeah if I l realize he my true love other then that we see.

• Similar to what I want to do so I wouldn't mind as long as we found time for each other

• If I loved them, then yes, of course.

• I would!! And plus I plan on being a doctor too!!

• No, I want a man to come home regularly

• No. I would be paranoid that they would cheat on me with a nurse or something. ><

• Yes if you really love them.

• Yes, of course! If I love the person, and I know that they are intelligent and are passionate about their career of helping others, then I'm all for it. The time we spend together would be even more special.