Would you rather bully or be bullied?

Hypothetical question. You have to take one side. Which one?

• I'd rather bully. Good offence is better defence
  • I'd rather be bullied than causing harm to someone

Most Helpful Girl

• Been both.
    Being bullied is just awful, and the bullying trauma still sits with you years after, and its harder to let go of insecurities you've been bullied over. Things I've bullied or made fun of people over, I've long forgotten about. Selfish as it sounds, I rather be a bully. There are less psychological consequences in it for me, even though someone else will have to be the victim for it.

I feel like some people on here are lying to themselves about the answers to not make themselves look bad lol. Bullying makes you feel powerful and superior, while being bullied makes you feel utterly weak, hopeless, stupid and ugly.

I agree. Maybe it's because most girls were not bullied and that's why they don't know how how terrible it is and hence, they chose option B

@ProbablyTooMature Considering that Im already diagnosed with depression, I haven't got the strength to be bullied more than I've already been, which has also caused me to get anxiety. Sure it might be selfless and "morally good" to take the bullying in someone else's place but there are cases you have to be selfish too for your own sake. Both options are essentially like having to pick your poison.

Fair enough. =)

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a hard question because there are multiple angles to consided.

1.) How well could I withstand bullying? You see people in the news pushed to suicide from bullying every once in awhile. I haven't had to deal with extreme bullying in my life because people never really targeted me for whatever reason (friend network, popularity, idk).
    From that, it's tough to know how well I could handle it. I'd like to say with confidence "yeah it's no problem, I'll choose B." But, if I have a possibility of being destroyed mentally, A might be a better option. One of those look-out-for-yourself, self-preservation moments.

2.) How bad of a bully would I be? Would I be so horrible as to push someone to a destroyed mental state and possibly suicide? I would say there are different degrees of bullying. I've never been a bully in my life so I dunno how exactly awful I'd be. I can just imagine the extreme guilt associated with doing that, and I want no part of it. Blood on one's hands sounds pretty frightening to me.

It's a bit of a rough choice either way, but I think I'm going to say B. I think I'd stand better up to the bullying better than I would stand up to personal guilt of being a bully.

What Girls Said 19

• Be bullied, because it makes you stronger than you were and wiser as well. Eventually you learn that every situation doesn't need a reaction and you grow a thicker skin to non sense daily. People only bully people because they are hurt and want to lash out on others to feel better, if you don't give them what they want they can't hurt you over time. Everyone from adult to child, popular to unpopular has been bullied in some form in life. Take me for example growing up I was picked on constantly from strangers to people I knew and as an adult it doesn't faze me one bit, it has molded me into one BAD MOTHER SHUT YOUR MOUTH😃 people's opinions of me aren't any of my business, hell some of the rumors may be true😂 depending on who you ask. I take the blows like a mountain baby... shit can't take me down when my roots are too well planted in the soil.
    by the way uhhhh if I witness that bullying shit... you've been warned😠 #MamaBear

• This question actually really angers me.

Probably because of how many kids are being bullied without getting any help or support for it.

I'm strong physically and mentally. Can and have handled what people have tried to do to me when I was younger. Anything said, has no effect on me. Just keep laughing it off, knowing they have nothing better to do.

If they cross a line into physical violence, don't expect me to hold back. :*

Sweet and innocent angel, right? ;)

• I would rather be bullied. I could never put other people down in that way or hurt others. I want to be a positive influence in the lives of others, not a negative one. I am capable of standing up for myself though so if anyone did try to bully me, it wouldn't get them very far. Lol

• I'd rather be bullied because I know how to handle it now. Furthermore, you obviously hurt yourself one way or another by hurting others, even if you don't realize it. I think that harsh words degrade the person who pronounces them more than the one they could be directed towards.

• I would rather be bullied.
    I don't like causing harm to other people.

Last year I practiced taekwondo (ITF) and sometimes we should lie down in a row and one would walk on our stomachs and then it was the next persons turn.
    I hated it when it was me walking on the other people, but did not mind being walked on.
    The same when we had to punch and kick, if we had to make contact I was not fond of hitting the person, even though it was my trainer who is a muscular grown man. And can handle it no problem.

Good analogy :)
      in my opinion, you should hit them hard. That's how you'll learn and get better. Your trainer knows the limits.

I know that I should, he kept telling me to not be scared of hitting him, but it is so deep inside of me. If it is not a pillow I'm aiming at, I find it difficult to hit as hard as I can.

• I would rather be bullied. It means i wouldn't feel guilty when i grow old

• I would rather be bullied. I don't have the heart to bully anyone or use anyone. Certain people "bully" me because I allow it, such as my mother <3 , haha.
    As for non-family members who tried to bully me or use me because of my kindness and compassion, I will disassociate with them after some time. And I will teach them a good lesson without them knowing and without doing them any harm :-) See, I am always so benign :- )

• Be bullied. I've been through it. And I wouldn't wish those feelings on anyone.

Sorry to hear that :/
      Well, we all have been through tough times. That makes us stronger.

• I'd rather be bullied. I've been through it, and I can endure. I would never do that to someone else, it's a terrible feeling.

• I'd rather be bullied. As much as it "traumatizes" some people, words don't hurt you if you don't let them. If they do anything more then that I can report it to a teacher.
    Plus usually bullies are going through a lot of stuff...

• I know it sounds terrible but I would rather be the bully. I say this knowing that the word "bully" is so over used. Bullying is an issue, yes but people are using the word so lightly.

• I have been on both sides of the spectrum.
    Been bullied and has bullied someone.

What did you like? I mean, prefer?

I actually prefer being a bystander the most. I was also a bystander.
      Being bullied made me feel like shit and me bullying someone else made me feel like a bitch.

• I wouldn't exactly call it bullying, but I have been mean to people. I don't exactly bully, more like banter. I know that if someone bullies me, I'd probably just say something back

How about violence?

Nope never. Only kicking under the table back when I was younger and kicking a ball into a guy's nuts. I'm not the weakest but I'm not the strongest. I know I have a good punch and good slaps and will only fight if necessary. Back when I was 10-11 I got in trouble twice as I defended my friend.

• I'd much rather be bullied.

Could you tolerate it?

It's not going to be easy, but I know I'll cope with it and eventually get over it. In the worst cases I will get help from a counselor.
      Being cruel and having a disgusting behavior is something that never appealed to me. I would rather be weak and go through hard times than to be evil. I don't have the heart to destroy other people and put them down. I don't even like having an attitude let alone be cruel.

• I'd rather be a bully. I've had enough bulling.

• I'd rather bully. Im done any kind of bullying thats in the past

• I hate bullies.. people always bullied me for my mental disabilities but i wouldn't bully another being

What kind of disabilities? And was it verbal or physical?

Im a slow learner special ed. And they bullied me verbally

I can understand. Hope you made it happily.

• I would rather be the bully. I have been bullied for 8 years of my life everyday and I don't ever want to re live this so I would rather be the bully.

Wow! Was it verbal or physical?

Sorry to hear that :/

It was rude but now it's end so that's great. :)

• I'd rather be bullied, been there already, I hated bullies in school, I could never be one, actually I used to defend my friends from the bullies even if that brought me trouble

What Guys Said 24

• If there is no choice in this, then I'd rather bully. I will not pretend that I am Gandhi or some other selfless moron - the world ain't perfect and if I have the choice between being a victim or the aggressor, I'll be the one who's not weak.

LOL ditto!

But if you get bullied and stand up for yourself, and don't let the mean words get in to you, it doesn't make you weak just because you get bullied.

@Hollywood-Glam OP's scenario said that EITHER I am bullied, or I bully. Nothing was said about standing up. If there was a chance to stand up and stop the bullying, there would be no point to present the choice, since it then would become a choice between bullying and not being bullied (since I would stand up for myself and thus prevent it)

• Had to deal with bullying , would never bully others ever. Never started trouble in my life , but have finished it a few times !! The bullies made me tougher if anything , saw one many years after leaving school , I was in my British Army uniform sporting para wings & red beret with a very different demeanor..." I would NOT fuck with you now !! " were his words... and bought me a drink too !!

• rather be bullied

obviously don't want to be either but i'd feel pretty crappy about myself if i was causing some emotional or physical harm in someone's life

Could you tolerate that harm?

i think i could. i was bullied a little in high school but not physical bullying just comments. it was rough (and the bullying i experienced i'm sure was minimal)... but i think i'd feel better long term looking back and not knowing that i may have hurt other people

• I don't think either will happen to me.

One guy tried it... once, in the army: once. I reacted once.
    Later I heard he had been abused during his adolescence. I felt a bit guilty about my reaction.

• I have been both. Both are shameful.
    But I would much rather be the Bully.

What was it like to be a bully?

Oh! Thanks for sharing :)

You are welcome 😅

• I've never bullied anyone, but if I had it to do over again, seeing how people turned out anyways, I would bully people in school and enjoy it very much. I would bully some of the jocks at my old high school. I was stronger than them even back then, but later found out how much of a jerk they were to lots of people. It would be fun.

I would also bully the people that talk S#! t all the time. they don't physically bully people because they are actually weak, but they rub it in if they have more money, and make fun of people that did good in school (good grades). I'd mess with them too if I had it to do over again.

I understand. Good.

• Bullying feels Pretty Bad from the active part... But I'd still choose it over being bullied any day.

• No way in hell am I going to CHOOSE to get bullied!

So imma have to bully.

• What you would want is to not live in a country that is centered around bulling - the US of A - but somewhere decent and humane instead.

I don't think there is any country free of bullying which also has good living standard.

• Honestly I would say neither, I would not want to put others down, and being bullied is not fun.

• Been on both sides and would rather be the bully. A predator chooses when to hunt the prey is always hunted

• Rather be bullied... I'm not the sort of guy who would bully people and enjoy it :o

• I rather be bullied, so I can retaliate and make them regret their actions >:)
    Bullying just doesn't work.

• Uhmmm I would rather take offence rather than giving it
    And I can handle bullies

• bully. the strong conquer the weak.

• Whyyy God did u have to use that picture when my mom was looking

• Be bullied so i can take revenge and i fight for a just cause.

• I'd rather be bullied, then I can knock him out and go back to what I was doing.

• Neither, I would fight the bully till I have life in my bones

• Shame on guys who voted for being bullied :D Its not good to harm someone but if its needed, yeah.

• Eat or be eaten. Most girls have bullied a few times in their life so poll results are fucked.

• I wanna see someone try to bully me, I'd lift him up n throw him away

• id rather be bullied