What movie has the saddest ending of all time?

Movies are very predictable, and most of the time the protagonist gets some sort of happy ending. However, there are some movies where there is no happy ending. What movie, in your personal opinion, has the saddest ending? I'd have to say it's The Mist from 2007. For those of you who haven't seen it, or read the book and the original ending, or don't feel like googling it here's a quick summary. The movie The Mist is all about a group of people who take shelter in a small grocery store while surrounded by a supernatural monster infested mist that was accidentally unleashed by the US military. When madness begins to take hold of the survivors a small group of people decide to leave the safety of the grocery store and take their chances on the road in a truck in the mist. The group consists of and elderly woman, an old man, another woman, a man named David Drayton, and his young son Billy. After seeing the devastation caused by the creatures in the mist and running out of gas the group decides to end their lives using a revolver, but there are only 4 bullets for 5 people. David shoots everyone and then decides to wait in the mist to be killed by a creature. Instead of being killed, he is rescued by the US military who have taken control of the mist situation. He killed 4 people including his own son for nothing.

Most Helpful Guy

• Roots

Did you see the Roots remake? It was really great.

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh wow, that sounds like a pretty good film to watch... In a sad sort of way of course.

Boy In The Striped Pajamas gets me every time.

Or Marley & Me

The boy in the striped pajamas was incredibly sad. I've watched it a bunch of times and it still brings me to the verge of tears.

What Guys Said 10

• 0|0

Oh you said the one I wanted. The Grave of the Fireflies

What's Grave of the Fireflies about?

Cartoon drama about a brother and sister in Japan who struggle to survive during WW 2. Almost the exact same thing happened to my grand uncle and aunt so it might have a bit more of an impact on me than usual.

• Great question.

For me its the end of atonement, when she reveals the truth that she didn't write in the book.

• Bridge to Terrabithia is a killer :(

I've never watched that movie all the way to the end.

I was in tears and i didn't cry during the birth of my three kids

• Forest Gump great movie I bet you will cry

• Me Before You , A Walk To Remember and Titanic

• Green Mile

incendies

Love that film. Him wanted to be at peace made the end just about bearable, but great call.

@Ray-98 amazing movie dude. really amazing

• The saddest thing is good people do some bad things, like The MIST. so, I agree with you.

• Operation Valkyrie

• Hachiko
    Marley n me
    Saving private ryan
    The notebook
    I forgot many damn

• Catch Me if you Can

What Girls Said 10

• Old Yeller
    King of Kings
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• That's really sad!

I would say Pay It Forward had a pretty sad ending. Chokes me up every time.

• Omg the mist was the first movie that popped in my mind as I read the title. But.. It was sooo frustrating!!! The ending in the book is so much different and way better than in the movie.

Yea I know! In the book there's at least some hope for something better. In the movie the ending is completely different. Everything starts getting better but he's lost his wife, kid, and he's killed 3 other people for no reason.

Yeah, and immediately after that the mist went away. He just couldn't wait for 30 seconds xD I read the book first, so the disappointed was there. But I didn't think the book gave hope for a better future. It was just an open ending, which made me think about the Walking Dead. But I liked the overall idea of the Mist.

• Boys Don't Cry
    Ghost

• The Notebook

I've never seen it.

• Me before you

• La vita รจ bella (Life is beautiful)

• City of Angels

• Wild things and bridge to terabithia. Everyone on class was crying to the second movie. Lol xd

• Legends of the Fall is a movie that makes me bawl almost all the way through.