Did your parents ever give you the “birds and the bees” talk?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, they did. Luckily, my parents are both very easy-going and cool about sexuality, especially my dad.
    When I was 4-5, my mom started reading sex-ed books to me. It was mostly about pregnancy though, not so much about sex. I was an extremely inquisitive child and constantly asking questions. One of the big questions was where I came from, so my mom explained it to me. The books had a lot of nice, cartoon-like pictures and I really liked them ;-). One or two years later, my mom also told me about sex and periods and these things but I think it felt a little too abstract to fully grasp.
    When I was 12 and up early one Sunday morning, my dad came downstairs, sat next to me on the couch and started talking about masturbation. I was super shy and embarrassed because I had started masturbating just a few months earlier (his timing for this talk was awesome) but the talk wasn't awkward at all. My dad is a really sweet guy and way less reserved/authoritative than other fathers. He petted my hair and giggled and told me that I don't have to be shy. Then he told me about some sex experience he had with a girlfriend as a teenager and that got my interest, so I sat up properly haha :-). And after that, he just asked me some questions about my masturbating habits but it didn't feel invasive at all. He managed to be both light-hearted and dad-like at the same time. He told me that masturbating is fun and healthy and that I shouldn't be shy about it ;-).

Most Helpful Girl

• Haha no. Basically I had to bring a sheet home from school for her to sign saying I could take sex ed. I already knew everything because of people at school, but I had to go anyway. My mother just kinda looked at it and was like "oh". Then when I came back from school she asked me if I had any questions and I said, "hell no" and she was like, "thank god".

What Guys Said 66

• Yeah when I was 18. I was returning with my dad from nearest town he was driving!..
    He doesn't actually ever gave time to me /us kids!.. And he knows how it was between me and women around me!.. If anything starts it always DEFCON 5-4-3-2-1.
    My mom is a manipulative bitch!.. He proved that a lot of time to me!..
    And as he started about women's!.. 'Thanks to #Girlsaskguys. com' I was already having clue that what was he trying to start, and I shut him out saying!..
    Me : Dad I don't want to know!.. I had enough shit with the annoying maniac women teacher in school.. A manipulative mom and you whipped in a her leash...
    I seen enough of women... Women understand each other and they hate each other... So there is really no point in discussing any of this.
    DAD ( HE WAS LIKE) : Won't you have a family!.. Kids wife!.. Won't you ever get married..
    Me : ( I started laughing loud) really you think I women will put of with!.. Me 5 second and she will put a bullet in either one of ours head!.. Either me or her will be dead!.. You know!.. I am high alert war zone when it comes to women.. So thanks.. But no thanks I am not getting involved with them..

That's was how the bird and the bees talk went..
    - he never saw me talking to girl of my age.. (after 12age)
    - I have only guy friends
    - I have only brothers no sister in house. Cousin. Sister yes but never met them they won't even recognize me
    - I never chat with a girl on phone!.. Just no friends ( male) usually casual abusive language. ( not a conversation of more the 10 min in whole day)
    - I spend most of my day inside!. Like a looser with my tablet or on PC obey parents!.. I was a bit rebel.. But I seen my brothers condition after rebel.. ( he had to swallow what he spit) poor guy!.. He is going nuts,.. They controled him financially.. I pity him.. Right calm as a sea!.. Once I get my place!. I will make sure!.. My parents walk in on me the next morning!.. When I am between 2 chick's after threesome!.. Sleep happily!.. ( I wonder this will kill my mom)..

• My dad came so close! He backed out as soon as I had questions! I was almost 14.
    We were driving to the store and he started with.
    "Do you like any girls right now?"
    "Not really"
    "Well you will soon. And when you do you'll feel all happy and joyful, especially if she loves you back.
    But son, a man and a women mustn't be too physical until they know they are right for each other. And the right time is marriage.
    Do you know how a baby is made after marriage?
    "Not really"
    "Well when the man and women love each other very very much they sleep together. And when they do that a little tiny white thing from the man's privates goes into the woman's privates."
    "Oh... how does it do that?"

*no answer...

then we got to the store and he just kinda pretended that conversation never happened.

and about a week later i Googled it and learned a lot more than just sex! I also learned abut porn, dildos, boobs, semen, menstrating, sex positions, anal, golden showers, oral, handjobs, fingering, and pretty much everything you can think of.

Thanks, dad! Thanks for making me curious!

😂! "Well when the man and women love each other very very much they sleep together. And when they do that a little tiny white thing from the man's privates goes into the woman's privates."
      He summoned up everything in that one sentence lol

Yup. That's "the talk" from a Christian dad.

• my dad talked to me about sex and relationships but not like a how to or biological thing but mostly about having safe sex and good relationships

i learned the sort of science of sex in sex ed class

• My dad started to and I told him I already had sex, at first he was relieved but then he was like "Wait, you're not even old enough to drive"

So I was like bye

• Yes but honestly it was more of a puberty talk. They never got into the sex part. It was filled with mediphores that I never really understood. I learned about sex the normal way a teenager does. On campus from other kids bragging.

• Nope. Had to use the old fashioned internet: printed magazines and books. lol

• NOPE! Found out myself.

• No. I asked my mother what sex is when I was 7. She explained me the biology behind it. Penis into vagina and things come from penis that makes the girls egg grow into a child.

• Nope. Never. Doesn't seem like they'll be giving it to my bro either.

• Can't say I ever remember having that talk with them. I learned it more from videos and classes.

• AHAHAHAHA. I've knew about it since I was 7 or 8. Adult Swim, man.. they teach you things.

• Lol yeaa when I was in 10th.. I was learning science... and then while reading one chapter came the embarrassing part... hahah 😂

Well I didn't needed particular chapter at all.. :-P I already knew

• No nether did. I didn't have sex till I was 21 but did not wait by choice. Just ddnt find a serious girlfriend till then.

• My parent just assumed I'd figure it out so they never bothered

• Rarely or not, they let me discover it with some help from biology teachers :D

• No my sister taught me all there is about sex and masturbation and the opposite sex

• Nah I am indian and Most Indian parents would not tell u about any basics of having sex even if u r married and have children LOL

• Nope, I got a computer when I was 10. But instead of looking at porn, I studied a program call "ADAM The Inside Story". It was fun to me. XD

I have enjoyed learning about physiology and psychology since.

And at what age did you started watching porn then? Loll

lol Probably a bit after. When I was 11 or 12. Though the first time I saw it was when I was 8.

• Mhmm.

• Yeah. I was 4-5 yo. knew everything, when we finally had sex Ed school xD

• yeah really early too.

• Nope, not really. Had sex-ed, and then one or two offhand comments about "we believe in waiting for marriage."

• Nahh, they didn't I learned it from my bitch-ass cousin when I was like 10 :D I was shocked in the beginning, then got use to it.

• Nah I figured everything out myself.

• Nope never xD

• not really they just let the sex ed class in school do it

• They didn't need to, I had the internet for that

• Nah. I found out on my own / sex ed.

• Yes. Gave me books too. They basically said it was immoral and wrong to do.

• Yeah, I did, in a really really exceptionally awkward way

• More from Guys
    36

5 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 46

• my mother caught me masturbating to pictures of girls b4 she had a chance lmaooooooo

• Nope, I had sex education at 10 years old in school.

• Honestly? Not really. I kind of just discovered it on my own plus the information I learned at school.

• Yeah, they did, my father more actually, he didn't talk a lot, but my father gave me a sexology book to read.
    As I remember my father mainly portrayed boys in a bad light in his short talk :D I didn't take that seriously, I thought I have my own head, so I didn't need advices or threates he gave

• no, never. but i wish they woulda. lol
    did urs?

• Nope... learned it on my own

• Never.

• Nope. Didn't get any of that.

• NO never thank GOD lol that;s awkward af. I learned it at school.

• No, I was just told don't do it!

• Yes, with a childrens picture book that talked all about it.

• Fortunately not.

• My mother threw at me an anatomy book about reproduction and told me
    "you gotta learn this by tomorrow" and so that's how I learnt about sex.

• Not really. My mom only said that "men only want sex. They will all use you" which let me totally confused until I got older. My mom and dad were not very good at these talks... their talks turned me into a neurotic mess. I unlearned them all, thank GOD.

• yes, my mum being open minded about it after I have a potential fiancee
    she even gave me a book bout it

• No my parents are traditional 😑

• Sort of... my mom gave me a talk, I didn't know what a penis was at the end of it... but it was a talk.

• My mother most certainly did, as indeed she did the same with my younger sister.
    It certainly hasn't done us any harm at all.
    We did of course get a full sex education programme in school, from the start of our teenage years.

• Not really.

• fuck no. Found out the old fashion way... the internet and friends and school! hahaha

• Yeah my mum did, and got ticked off when she figured out I already knew what it was.

• No they gave me science books to read. My grandpa is a doctor and gave me children's science books that talked about sperm and pregnancy

• kinda in a way

• Nope never did

• Never did.

• no
    they just told me you'll find out when you're married, lol

• I think my mom told my brother and just thought he'd pass it down to me, but no.

• When I was 6 but I didn't understand anything

• No, and I'm pretty sure they still think I'm clues as to knowing what sex even is

• They never did actually.

• More from Girls
    16