You only know what you have when you lose it?

Do you agree? Why? Why not?

• I agree with this
  • I do not agree with this
  • I don't know
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• i agree to an extent. the saying you don't know what you've got til it's gone certainly has some merit

but some people certainly can appreciate what they have while they have it

Most Helpful Girl

• I totally agree. There were times when my ex would annoy the ever living shit out of me, and even though he was a great boyfriend even I know better than to say he was 100%. I would get frustrated too often and now that he's left I regret it more than anything. However, we didn't really fight about things, because the things I was annoyed with were never of enough significance to bring to light, it was small trivial things like not answering his phone and being stubborn. Now I wonder if he ever feels the same about me, now he's flirting with 100 other girls and hasn't been able to keep one since me. I guess even after 7 months, time will tell

Time really does tell. But sometimes when you think you lost a great thing its to make room for something even better.

What Guys Said 18

• 40 years ago , my left eye lost 50% peripheral eye sight. At first I thought "50% of one eye= 25% of total eye sight, I'll get used to it, no problem."
    I'm still not used to it.
    Only yesterday, a lady with a caddy in the supermarket suddenly appeared, I stumbled and fell on my face. No serious damage , contusions. Just a reminder that I'm still not over losing that 25% peripheral sight. (I don't count the times I bumped into park meters and said 'Sorry!' to such a moneyrobber. :D )

• In most cases it is true , but in some cases if you already had it bad then you find yourself in a position to be getting it good , then you don't squander it or take it for granted

• Yes, and it's also true that you don't truly know what you're yearning for until you've obtained it. Once something is attained they usually feel a degree of disappointment. It doesn't make you as happy as you thought it would.

Once something that was your's is lost there is usually a greater than anticipated sense of loss. You become more unhappy than you anticipated.

We tend to carry unrealistic expectations.

• Great lyrics in a song, but otherwise those that are losing a good thing actually know it in the moment. May be true in some scenarios but not as a general rule.

• Where does a person even start with an answer to this question, beyond affirming what everyone seems to already know. A person truly does NOT know what they have until they've lost it. I know the pain of this from personal experience.

• Everybody can agree, but I don't think it's fully agreeable for everyone. Many reasons and too many to list right now

• To quote immortal technique "Cause you never really know what you got until it's gone".
    The implication is that you may not acknowledge or you take for granted whats right in front of you, until you dont have it anymore or its taken away from you.

There are however exceptions.

• I agree but I chose other, like if you don't or have never had something you really want you would treasure it. I want a girlfriend and nobody really cares about theyre partners these days if they're my age but I would jump through hurdles to keep mine if I got one because it's not easy for me to get girls since I'm skinny.

• It's one of life's tougher lessons but it's true.

• It really depends on the person, most people indeed don't know what they have until they lose it. But a few smart people cherish what they have.
    Seeing things from another perspective (from another person) helps realising what you actually have.

• It's definitely true. Most times in life, we take everything for granted and then it's gone then you realize what you had was the best.

• Nope I know I have a GAG account and it will never be deleted

• tragically true

• no, if you have lost it then you know what you have lost.

• I don't agree. If you understands somethings worth when you loose it. it means you are dumb.

• yes its true

• i agree.. we take things for granted

• That's true with most things

What Girls Said 7

• Sometimes thats true but sometimes people don't even realise it when they've got nothing left.

• Yes. There's also indeed knowing what you have, but never thinking you'd actually lose it

• Definitely. I've had too many experiences I've had to deal with like this

• Too an extent yes. After you loose enough things in life i think u get better at recognizing what you have and preventing urself from loosing 'it'

• One hundred percent

• yes definitely true

• Yes for sure