Does anyone know about cars? Can I do this safely?

My car is so low on gas that it won't start. Usually I have a jug of gas for the lawn mower that I can use in this situation but I've run out of that has as well. All I have is a mixture of gas and oil for the leaf blower. I've used it before and had no problems, but since there's no gas in my tank to dilute it, I don't know if it'll mess up my car or do some other kind of damage. My plan would be to add enough so I can make it to the gas station, which is only two miles down the road.

Most Helpful Guy

• Go ahead and do it. The reason Oil is added to gasoline is to lubercate the moving parts in your car that it runs through. You will notice the smoke coming from your exhaust will be a little more dense and the car will idle roughly until the fuel has been replaced.

There will not be any long term problems but if you want to go crazy with being careful I would tell you to fill your tank with premium fuel. And grab some injector cleaner somewhere at some point (This is good to do every so often anyway)

This will clean up any residue left behind by the oil and many other fuel byproducts that can find their way into your fuel system. So go ahead, add enough fuel that you feel it will get you to the station and don't let the guy at the station try to look under your hood. I'm sure he knows exactly what's going on and is only trying to scare you.

What Guys Said 10

• In a modern car, you are risking burning out your fuel pump and/or sucking up some of the crud that settles at the bottom of your fuel tank through a fuel injector and messing that up instead.

Putting two-stroke fuel (which is the sort of engine your leaf blower will have) into the car probably won't hurt it.

Letting yourself run this low is really foolish. The potential damage to the car aside, if you are arriving home so long on fuel that the car won't then start later, you are coming extremely close to stranding yourself.

• No... this is not good. How the fuck do you end up in situations like this?

I was thinking the same thing

Except u can't get back. Unless you're moving, you usually want to do that.

I have always made it back home. I understand this isn't good but I'm in a bit of a hard time here so I'm doing what I have to do

• The reason for the oil and gas mixture is because smaller 2 stroke engines aka your leaf blower need the extra lubricant so the Pistons and cylinder don't wear fast.
    A small amount shouldn't hurt your car but you said you have a gas can for the lawn mower. Can you walk the two miles fill that puppy up and walk home? Or call a friend to help you?

Someone helped me out. Thanks!

• it depends on the mixture, but it might damage the o2 sensors and maybe the catalytic converter and trigger the check engine light, plus it will run like its burning oil of course, but if its only a little bit to get 2 miles it shouldn't harm anything. just have extra non-mixed fuel with you next time

Thanks for the information!

• Not a good idea. On old cars with much simpler engines you could get away with it. With the precision of newer engine, there are a lot of things it can screw up.

It's a 2000 car if that makes a difference

• Just walk and bring back gas

I wouldn't mix random shit together

• No no don't do that
    And after you solve your situation
    You will need to change the gas pump and filter

• Hell NO. Good thing you ask.

• just walk to the petrol station and fill up a jerrycan. 2 miles is nothing.

• It is not as bad as the other way round. But it leaces more dirt in the motor and the motor will run less smoth. You should avoid this or you will destroy it on the long run.

What Girls Said 2

• Walk to the gas station and use the time to think on why cutting it close is usually more expensive.

• If the gas station is only two miles then walk and bring a can to fill with gasoline.