Why does America keep losing the Olympic host bid?

0|0
2|12

Most Helpful Guy

• theyll get it soon

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 11

• Actually, fewer and fewer countries want the Olympics anymore. For the next several events, most of the applicants have withdrawn already.

The problem is that most countries don't have the majority of the facilities needed to host the games - and they don't have them because they otherwise have no use for them. So, if they host the games, they're required to spend billions of dollars (often money they don't have) to build a bunch of very expensive facilities that then end up not being used after the games are over. Did I mention that these facilities commonly get built on top of what used to be people's homes, businesses, and farms?

You have to be a wealthy country with lots of existing facilities of the right type in order to host the games and not have it bankrupt you. Brazil is going to be in massive debt, and many of their quickly-and-poorly-built buildings won't be usable in 5 years - so all that money will be wasted.

in my opinion, the smart play would be to have the games be hosted in Greece every time - the real home of the Olympic games. That would allow one set of facilities to be built and be reused every couple of years - saving everyone a ton of money.

When the modern Olympics first started, only a handful of countries participated, and only a handful of events existed. Today, there are hundreds of sports/events, and everyone wants all-new facilities for every event. It's simply insane, and it isn't sustainable.

But you'll definitely see the US getting some games soon - we're one of the few countries who can afford to host them (because we have many of the facilities and infrastructure already available).

fivethirtyeight.com/.../

1|1
    0|0
    • 3mo

I totally agree with you on the need to have the games hosted in a single place (Greece makes sense) every 4 years. The entire process of awarding the games to different cities has become corrupt. All of the participating countries' Olympic Committees could financially support the recurring hosting of the games by Greece.

• simple as they like to give other host countries especially those that have never hosted or haven't hosted in a long time a chance. USA had the olympics twice in the past 25 years so i think they are sort of low on the rotation

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't know and don't care. I rather them just focus on winning medals.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it has turned against the Lord and doesn't abide by the word of Holy Jesus Christ and God his Father.

0|0
    2|0
  • YouD think that would be the most sense. Lots of athletes already live and train ( those from other countries as well) in the US why not just hold it here?

0|0
    0|0
  • There are a lot of countries bidding. The summer games have been in the US two of the last nine times.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because most of the other countries are jealous of our awesomeness. We already have the facilities in our country to host summer and winter olympics because we have so much here and they are jealous.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because fug'em.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because you are occupying half of the countries that participate in the olympics.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because the country's a shithole with the rotten economy and the skyrocketing debt.

0|0
    0|0
  • Might have something to do with the fact that the last time the US hosted the Olympic games in Salt Lake City, a bunch of people were fired (but not jailed, because apparently it's impossible to actually put any politician in jail!) for bribing the committee to get the host bid. Also, huge amounts of taxpayer money is needed to support the games which are always over budget by about 2-4 times the estimated cost, which usually means a public city-wide referendum on weather or not to spend the taxpayer money. If the ask for too much they are sure to be downvoted, which they usually are anyway, because most people would rather spend their taxes on other things, like our crumbling roads, or our underfunded public schools.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• I don't know. It would be better than having it in Zika infested Brazil.

0|0
    1|0
  • The U. S. has hosted more Olympic games than any other country.

0|0
    0|0