Do people find lawyers boring?

They're so boring.

They just sit there and work long hours in boring work.

Most Helpful Guy

• As someone who is taking the LSAT on September 24th, I think law is fun.

I've been involved in two lawsuits. I won both. I sued the living crap out of my ex-wife and got everything I went after. Then, awhile ago, I got to argue a case in court against an attorney hired by an employer who violated a contract with me. I hit him hard and repeatedly, and really worked him over!

The research, strategy, planning, and evidence preparation are just the background to law. You're custom making the equipment you're going to use to attack the opposition, and defend yourself against attack. You've got to build armor and weaponry every time, and then you take it in front of a neutral arbiter and battle it out.

Most people who counsel pre-law students will tell you that if you don't really want to do the job, don't do it. If you're smart enough to get into law school and handle the risk of depression, substance abuse, anxiety, divorce, suicide, and the mandatory grueling hours- you could make the same money and have more fun elsewhere.

Good luck!

Why do you say the risk of depression, substance abuse, anxiety, divorce, suicide and gruelling hours?

I am smart enough to get into law school. I am not sure I have what it takes or even WANT to work the long hours. Mostly because it's almost like... is being smart a sin?

Sometimes I feel as though it's a burden. Is this really what life is about just working like a machine and then you don't have time to travel, read or do things that you genuinely like?

I've never entirely understood what to expect from myself.

Read "The Lawyer Bubble," by Harper. It's a compendium of unpleasant truths about the profession. Most lawyers aren't happy being lawyers. They get in for various reasons, but not because they want to live like lawyers.

According to President Coolidge, "The world is full of educated derelicts." Being intelligent is merely a capacity for work and productivity. You've never known what to expect from yourself, so you should try to discover that before committing your life to something "boring."

Besides, if we've got the same GPA and LSAT score, or if you're higher, I won't have to compete for schools and class rank with you. ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• You've described the average adult day working in an office, hooray

What Guys Said 7

• Fuck lawyers. No more specifically fuck public defenders... They've fucked me over, told me "no other options" then find out there was and then they want like 200 bucks for a half assed job?

• As people or just their profession is boring?

Both. I mean as people... I don't know. I can only imagine what the mental state of mind of someone who has to work to the extent that even if they liked their job they'd be extremely worn out

I had a professor who was a lawyer and he was pretty normal however he was also... I don't know.

Very humble. I almost forgot sometimes that he was a lawyer.

So I'm not really sure I had an accurate understanding of what the profession was like regardless of my experiences with the course itself

You probably never got to know them, some of the most interesting people I know were lawyers

• I find people who sit at a bar and drink beer all day quite boring.

But to each his own though.

• Who cares, I plan on being a lawyer and making good income. As far as if its boring, no. I'd find doing the same repetitive manual labor very boring though

I've never had a real job for me to truly know what I do and don't find boring.

I studied in school because it was important to study, and I do appreciate my education. But if someone told me I didn't have to work because I won the lottery or something and I can devote the rest of my life to travelling I'd do it in a heartbeat.

So I think either I don't understand the notion of a career (do something to pay your bills), or I've just not found what I'm passionate about

• Well lawyers make good money. A lawyer husband can get you a nice car, nice handbag, secure home.

This is not about my future husband.

This is about the career I want to work in. And I think I can be good at law but it's boring

Well I am working at a law office. It is VERY time consuming, but money is very good. It is actually quite interesting knowing why people are suing and how defendants work out the situation. I think it is definitely fun to help the defendant that is truly innocent. It is a complicated profession, but far from boring.

Hmm you say it's time consuming... to what extent?

I mean a lot of professions require long hours. I've never really understood what incentivizes people to work that much.

Education is important to get perspective about this world. But over-working yourself for money I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It could be me. I didn't grow up in North America so I found the whole system to be odd. I would think that the higher the education of the person the more freedom they also have (as in they have more time for themselves).

• Uhh it sounds interesting to me and it's something I would be open to get into when I'm older.

• Nope

What Girls Said 3

• Lol some of them are but not the one I'm dating :)

• I find them attractive when they are so focused in their work.

• yeah