Windows 10 was good for about 7-8 months, now it's being slow as ever?

I upgraded to windows 10, and I ADORE it, I have since I upgraded 7-8 months ago. I love all the new features, and it worked so much smoother. However, the last 2 weeks or so, my laptop has been so slow.

I did a disk clean up, as well as a full virus scan, and nothing showed up. I cleared browser history on chrome, and deleted some excess photo and video files I decided I didn't need. However, it's still being a shithead. Sometimes the mouse decides to disappear for a minute before showing up again, and sometimes it takes five minutes for the start menu to open, and it also sometimes slows down my typing, taking 30 or 40 seconds after I typed a sentence, for it to show up on the screen, and sometimes I have to retype it all.

Is there anything else I can do to get the sluggishness to stop? I don't know it's my laptop in general, it's only 2-3 years old, and I bought it refurbished, so it has specs that the manufacturers model doesn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• Windows is as fast as ever for me. I'm careful not to install bloatware and adware that come with many programs even from reputable sources. If it gets slow, I just reinstall. Takes 5 minutes to be back up. No big deal.

Yeah, that reminded me. I should go through my programs by hand and see if there's anything I can uninstall that I don't really need.

Yeah you should invest in an SSD for your OS. You won't believe, how fast it gets.

For example boot time goes down from close to a minute to about 16 seconds.

Most Helpful Girl

• It Sounds Sluggish due to probably Needing all of the Cookies Cleared and All of Your Millions of Updates Updated.
    There could be "Threats" this is Called when you Find many Times with the Updates, and These Need to be Cleared here, Dear... ASAP.
    I hope you have Anti Spy Software and a "Cleaner" that can be Installed which you may have to pay for but is Worth its Weight in Gold so No Viruses as well.
    Good luck. xx

Like I said, I did a disk clean up, and cleared cookies, as well as did a full antivirus scan.
      I haven't had any updates in awhile though, because I haven't gotten any notifications about them. There are a few updates that I have seen, but I cannot update because dell doesn't make drivers for windows 10.

Thank you, hun, for the Vote of Confidence, and Hoping everything has been ironed out. xx

:)) xxoo

What Guys Said 13

• Windows 10 fell flat on it's face about 2 weeks into installing it. Multiple programmes crashed and could be fixed even through system restore (although most of these have now been fixed through updates). Mostly Windows 10 just moved stuff around or gave it a different name

• How much memory does your computer have? Does it have at least 8GB of RAM?

I think it's best to back everything up and to a completely fresh reinstallation of the entire operating system. A full clean install of windows 10 and then reload all of your most important documents, photos, videos, important personal files, etc. back onto it afterwards.

You can also try going to the Setting page to Reset the computer.

Click on the Windows icon, then type in settings, or click on the settings icon, then click on Recovery, and then click on Get Started under Reset this PC. Select the one that said Keep my files or if you had already backed up everything important first, click on Remove everything instead.

Sigh. I really don't want to do that. I have games and such installed that took 12+ hours to install, and if I do a full reinstall, I'll have to reinstall my game engine and I don't have the internet for that anymore.

I do have 8gbs of ram.

And my main drive, my C drive is a 921GB, with only 88GB used so fat.

yes I defragment every week, and I do disk cleans which delete the temporary files every week.

Any idea what were the last things that had been changed on the computer before it became sluggish? Is is sluggish when booting up or is there some other slowdown or crashing or freezing issues after Windows had loaded?

What about updating to the latest drivers? Have you made sure you have all of the latest drivers for all of your system's components?

• Try to format the computer and install the system again. My Windows 10 still works perfectly, even after the last major update I got last week.

• Visit tomshardware forums if none of the advice you get works not to sound dickheadish but they are a lot savvier and will give better advice than here.

• Mine works perfectly. Make sure you do maintenance on your drive.

• 0|0
  • Lol never used win 10 i am on linux.

• Have you updated to Anniversary update? I myself love Windows but Microsoft is really s#iting everywhere. There ar so many bugs in both mobile and pc, very good features are being removed and bugs are being introduced. Mobile version has become little better now. I suggest you to upgrade to latest build and then perform hard reset. Then install the latest drivers.

Yeah I am definitely missing drivers because Dell doesn't make windows 10 drivers. I can't use bluetooth or my webcam anymore because the drivers are incorrect with no upgrades.

There aren't any correct ones to chose from. LOL. So it can't chose any. I've tried it, I get an error, because there no new ones to chose from.

I meant after fresh install of latest build (anniversary update)

• Check if there's nothing wrong with the hardware and that it's not overheating, if you find nothing then reinstall Windows.

• i hate windows 10
    i loved windows 7 very much.
    i updated because some games won't work on 7, they need windows 10

• Yea hell with window unless you really need that flexibility

5 year macbook pro still fast as the day I bought it

• Can I get a list of specs please?

• Microsoft is the godd*mn devil, Now you know :/
    Reinstall if nothing else works.

What Girls Said 1

• I've experienced a lot of driver problems with Windows 10 personally. Biggest being the displauy driver.

Regarding your issue, honestly if you have done a thorough virus scan (did you use Malwarebytes?) then those are classic signs of a hard drive going bad (I have worked in IT for over a year).
    Back up your data and replace your hard drive. I suggest choosing a Solid State hd over one with spinning disks; they are much faster as they use flash memory in the same way a USB device operates. I'd suggest installing Linux on your new hd since it's a free OS.

It'll probably be months before I have the money to replace the hard drive honestly, so I'm just going to have to figure out how to deal with it until then.

Run the chkdsk command