What do you think happens when someone dies?

Been thinking about this lately and as an Atheist I don't believe anything happens, but it would be nice to be wrong and have there be some sort of afterlife. I have considered that there might just be a 4th, 5th etc dimension we cannot comprehend that ends up being where we go, and we just have no way to measure or realize it currently.

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe the energy that comprises 'you' just continues to be a part of the universe in other forms, like your body fertilizes the soil so you become a part of plants, your heat energy warms the area around you, the impacts you've had during your time as a human live on in the lives of others and their memories.. The thing is with an afterlife in any other sense is it has to assume that your consciousness is separate from your body, and I don't believe that. I'm a monist and I believe in Universal consciousness; so I think we are all, the same as the rest of the universe, just made of the same energy that comprises everything else, and that energy is constantly moving. Eg. every 7 years or something all of your cells regenerate (like, they die and are replaced every day; every 7 years every cell you had at the beginning of that period will have died), so you've essentially grown an entirely new body. Your body therefore 'dies' several times if you think about it, and when your cells stop regenerating then that matter (I believe matter and energy are the same) still exists, we just don't define it as a person any more. I believe that individual consciousness is just electrical impulses and chemicals etc. in the brain (sorry for the lack of proper science there :') ) - while universal consciousness is just the will of the entire universe which is to perpetuate itself; collectively, all of our will and the general movings of everything contribute to and perpetuate that.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is a proven fact that energy can not be destroyed. It can change form. There are thousands and thousands of people throughout the ages who have died and come back. Most tell of a near identical experience, mostly good. The common things I can remember are eveyone appears to be around 30 years old. Even children we knew that passed away appear at that age and are recognized. They talk about being in a meadow with trees, pets they had and several family and friends who have passed. They talk about an amazing sensation of love like they have never felt or known. When they are told it is not their time and they have to go back almost all of them do not want this.

I strongly recommend watching this video. It will give you things to consider as this guy's experience is medically impossible and yet he completely recovered.

He is a brain surgeon and became brain dead from an incurable condition.
    Very easy to follow. Hope you take the time to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbkgj5J91hE

What Girls Said 8

• My mom's spirit was still around until we laid her body to rest. They are often led by an angel who will greet them during the final days of their life here on earth. Sometimes the spirit leaves the body as the body is dying. When their is no electricity in the heart and every organ has shut down, the heart will slowly beat until it completely stops, the person last long ago stop breathing. The body is unnaturally stiff. Heaven is in another plane/realm just like hell is. Yes, there is life after death. Some people's spirits I believe can be stuck still in this life. I honestly don't know how that works, as only God would know or allow. But people are immediately judged if they get eternal life or eternal damnation. On the night my mom passed away she visited me in my sleep, and we had talked. I had apologized to her for not being their when she gave her last breath as I was asleep, taxed out from taking care of her and our dogs. She told me that I didn't need to be sorry because she knows I worked hard and I deserved my rest. Told me how so proud she was and was thankful to God that I was her daughter. After a while I said for her to not dwell here, go home to God and say hello to my siblings who didn't make it to be born.

On the day my older sister, her kids and my dad went to settle on getting her buried at the funeral home. It was the very first time in years I have seen my sister, and the very first time I have met my niece and nephews, the oldest is 13, the middle son is 11 and my niece is now 9. We finally saw her body before she was prepped to have her clothes makeup and jewelry. Before we were about to leave we tried to have my niece give my mom, her grandma a kiss but she was very nervous and afraid. Then suddenly she said that she heard grandma. I was a bit taken back, because I remembered I told my mom to go home. So I asked my niece "What did grandma say?" She said with a smile: "Grandma said 'she loves me'." Sorry, you have to forgive me right now. Just thinking about that experience makes me want to cry again. Because my late mother always wanted to meet her grandchildren, and it was an unfortunate event that at the time of her death is the first time they ever got to meet her. And before anybody ask how was that even possible. I lived in New York, just moved to PA, my sister has been living with her husband and children down south in South Carolina. They don't have the means or finances to get up here. My dad helped pay over $1000 to get

them up here for 4 people alone. I have not seen my sister since I was 18 years old, and just met her again last December when I was still 23. So wither anybody believes me or not is irrelevant. But this is my personal story and experience. As well as my honest opinion. I cannot say exactly what goes on in the spiritual world, because I only know but so much. Overall God is in control and he has the final say.

need*

Yeah just because you believe it doesn't mean it's true. It's a lotta bullshit. Nothing more.

• I don't think anything happens in the supernatural sense. As in- in my opinion, there isn't this heavenly place where we (or our souls?) float around in eternal bliss. Bouncing from one puffy cloud to another.

I think we die and soon after, are simply forgotten. I get that it's a comforting thought for many to insist that guy feel their deceased family members are still with them in spirit or whatever but... I mean, believing that what you wish we're the truth, despite it not falling into line with anything that we are certain is reality, is a very common and human phenomenon. Present not just in people 'feeling the presence' or the deceased, but even in the early stages of dating.

• It's an interesting thing to think about about. I don't believe in a god either, but something seems odd about the nature of consciousness itself.

We are literally nothing more than matter and energy. The Stuff in our heads is tangible particles reacting in ways the we first call psychology, then chemistry, then physics with physics being the absolute bedrock description of what those particles are doing aand in what way. But that conclusion leaves us with an interesting proposition.

Either free will is an illusion, or consciousness is more than what we know at present. I can't anwer that question, no one I know of has answered that question in either way that satisfies my skepticism, and it may take another 500 years before scientists and philosopher come to a conclusion that satisfies.

Right now I'm under the impression that when someone dies theyre dead. Heaven and hell aren't things I believe in, coming back as ghosts or being resurrected are just as silly based on all that we know right now.

• We didn't exist before we were born and we won't exist after death.

• Either sox feet under the ground or posted up on someone's mantel 😭
    I'd like to think all my friend who passed away are somewhere nice but I don't know 😒😒

• I agree with Reixun

• I believe in reincarnation

The thought of reincarnation terrifies me,
      I've had a tough enough time in this life,
      I'd just like an afterlife

• after the cause of death the body is prepared for burial or cremation, (not too nice)

What Guys Said 14

• I can't see anything but a state of non-existence (which I find rather peaceful) since I don't see how consciousness can be divorced from this biological machinery.

It makes no sense to me when it can be so deeply affected by narcotics and brain trauma that my consciousness would somehow survive death. I can't understand how memories can be retained when merely damaging certain parts of the brain could lead to a state of amnesia which causes permanent memory loss (erasing large parts of our history and even understanding of who we are).

• As an atheist, I think we simply either rot away in our graves. Kind of daunting tbh. I wish there was an afterlife, it would make things easier.

• I think nothing happens, but I hope I'm wrong (though I wouldn't like an afterlife where you get judged).

• Well... I dunno... anyone wanna volunteer? >:)
    Lol I dunno really, some people who die temporarily say they've seen the afterlife... some say nothing... I honestly don't know... but I'm sure I'll find out when it happens.

• Everything stops.

• We enter the afterlife

• Well the thing we call ego ceases to exist, cause it's physical basis or carrier stops working.

• If your thinking about this stuff maybe you should read the bible my friend that's where you will find your answers, and the truth.

• Evolution is just a theory

• Once everything dies, the universe is in the same state as it began.

• Who says wer dieing?

• Advanced life forms in this universe have the power to collect departed souls and bring them back to life in their part of the universe.

• Judgment day starts

• Like how it was before you were born, nothing.