What's your religion?

I'm an atheist and I'm taking a religion class in college that got me thinking about people's religions. What's yours?

• Judaism
  • Buddhism
  • Catholicism
  • Islan
  • Hinduism
  • Atheist
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm agnostic. I don't know if there is or isn't and believe there are probably unknowns about existence which humans (an organism which evolved on one small planet in solar system on a far flung arm of the milky way which is one galaxy out of billions) cannot comprehend

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 37

• I went to a protestant high school but I'm an atheist. Like the vast majority of atheists, I'm also an agnostic.

Agnostic is someone who is unsure of whether there is a God or not (they are open to reasons)
      Atheists on the hand, believe there is NO God. They are definite.
      I just had to mention that because I saw you used Agnostic and Atheist almost interchangeably.

@BlueCoyote I am a Nursing Assistant/Nursing Student. In my school we read about these different religions because it is what we have to encounter on a daily basis. The information I provided you with was a general summary of what one of my books stated about those religions. Are you saying the book is wrong?
      Because as far as I know, that's what I believed up until now.

@Stacyzee Yes, in that case the book is indeed wrong. Like I said, I'm not trying to be or a smartass. The reason I'm so strong about this is because it's one of the main reasons people have bad opinions about atheists. Atheists are often thought to be some kind of extremists but that's not the case. SOME atheists (gnostic atheists) claim to be absolutely sure that god doesn't exist. Just like the members of the Westboro Baptist Church claim to be absolutely sure that god exists (gnostic theism). However, when pressed, most atheists AND most theists will admit that strictly speaking, they don't have any actual knowledge or evidence that proves/disproves a god. It's just that they choose to believe or not to believe.

Think of it like the chart in politics with progressive vs. conservative and authoritarian vs. libertarian. The two things work on different axes. You can be conservative and libertarian or conservative and authoritarian. Just like you can be a gnostic or agnostic atheist.

• It probably would have been smarter to use Christianity than Catholicism.

Anyway, while I do believe in the spiritual existence including a god I don't follow a particular religion. I think all religions are different paths towards the same aim and not to be seen as absolutes (except for the core-rules such as don't kill anyone and love your next), but rather as guidelines and metaphors to reach said aim.

• I used to be agnostic, I became a Catholic in university after studying, history, science, philosophy and naturalism. I have yet to be given a rational reason to believe the coherence of any other belief system

I lack a belief in naturalism and scientism, thus can't rationally be an atheist

one qustion i've yet to hear answer or find a sufficient answer myself for atheism. Is... many atheists have this concept of there being such a thing as "good" or "bad", something that's more so wishful thinking than rational thought.

I'd like for an atheist to be able to define an OBJECTIVE value to base there even being such a thing as positive or negative morality.

Or... it's just your opinion, no different than anyone elses who completely disagrees with you.

• I'm a spiritual atheist. I don't believe in any gods, but I do believe in some "supernatural" phenomena (e. g psychokinesis, telepathy, levitation etc), however, I think there will be a scientific explanation for these abilities eventually.

• Christian... follow Jesus Christ

• I'm a baptised Orthodox Christian and attended church when I was a kid but I always was sceptical and I grew not to believe in any divinity... By this, I'm a Christian Deist (a person who is a part of a religion but does not believe in the divinity, only the moral teachings (basically an atheist)), but voted atheist since it's the closest thing to what I am...
    Not believing in anything has opened up my views on all the other cultures and religions...

• I am an hellenist. I believe in the values of the ancient greek religion (yes with Zeus and Poseidon). I don't believe in the Gods themselves but believe in the values. So I'm technically semi-hellenist and semi-agnostic. No way to tell if there is a God or group of them after all.

• I'm Pagan. Maybe the only one on GAG!

• Atheist, more specifically an Anti-theist.

How very Freudian of you haha
      I used to think like that but after studying a lot I changed my mind... (Not saying you're wrong just sharing my case) :D

• Buddhism and Hinduism is the way to go. Polytheism 'religions' are excepting of all. Buddhism is a way of life

• All of those beliefs are wrong. The only true belief is Protestantism. Catholics are corrupt.

• I'm spiritual but not religious I do believe in a goddess

• I'm an Alevi.

Alevism is an offshoot of Shias. While Shias are a minority branch of Islam.

There's like 20 million of us in the world, quite small to be honest.

• Odinist.

• atheism isnĀ“t a religion. it falls under "no religion".

• Atheist here

• Atheism is my name, Hell is my game

Agnostic is my technical name

• I was raised Roman Catholic but I am not a believer anymore.

• I went to a chriastian school but im not a christian. Im atheist.

• I claim atheist but umm its not a religion. I grew up catholic though.

• Nihilist

• Atheist in short, secular humanist if you'd ask me for a long explanation

• I'm a Taoist but not religious.

• I got a question for u. As believer, why u dont believe God's existence? What is ur reason?

Honestly? I don't think I can explain it... I just never belived in anything "bigger" I was always a very sceptic person. As a kid I didn't belive in Santa or anything cause no one could prove it to me. They took me to malls and stuff but it was never the same person so it was obvious to me that it was fake. I think it's the same, there are so many Gods so many beliefs so many things... And yet no one has proof.

Besides when I was in school they teached me about Greece and how they were "wrong" with their Gods and explained to me that they only had that many Gods cause they had no knowledge and needed an explanation. Isn't that all the same?
      I wave nothing against people who belive and I'm not one of those stupid atheist that think they're smarter or anything I'm truly just very curious about it all

Well I respect your oppinion too but I'm very fine without faith. Besides even if God proved to me that he exists I wouldn't like him. The violence, the hunger... all could be fixed by him right? So why make those people suffer? That's not a test to me it's just sadism. That would be my pov so... I think I'm just fine with the atheism

Its okey but u know we r not living in banana world. There is bad and good people its all life's structure. Yeah he can prevent it but if he do it what would the life's purpose? According my religion, violonce is exist coz of u have to struggle with it. I mean the principle is never give up. And in addition u know even u dont believe there will be always bad people. And I wanna ask one more question by my curiousity. What will happen after u die? Nothing just stop breathing?

• I'm an agnostic atheist

• Atheism isn't a religion though XD

• The internet

• I'm Catholic

• I'm on the fence of Christian or being agnostic.

• My religion is contradiction bullshit.. Its the same with any other mainstream religion but with an honest name

• More from Guys
    7

3 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 27

• I'm a mix of Hindu and Buddhist.. My maternal side is Buddhist and paternal is Hindu but my family respects both equally and we celebrate holy days of both religions.. My dad is pretty chill on these things to the point where he made the effort to learn Buddhist culture and my mum did the same for the Hindu culture. I think my parents have taught me and my siblings to take the best of both religions.

• I am more Pagan than anything I guess. I mean, I think I'm more a mix of Pagan, Atheist, and Agnostic, because I think there is something higher out there but it's not what we think it is.

that entire sentence, made no sense at all

@Dave20154 Yes, agnostic atheism DOES exist. In fact, the vast majority of atheists are agnostic atheists. Please inform yourself.
      Yes, agnosticism and atheism are two very different things, you are correct about that. One talks about belief (atheism), the other talks about knowledge (agnosticism). If I say I'm an agnostic, I'm basically saying "I have no knowledge of any god". With this statement, I haven't said anything about my beliefs or disbeliefs. I simply stated my lack of knowledge (ancient Greek: "gnosis" = knowledge). If I say I'm an atheist on the other hand, I simply talk about my belief, not about what I know or don't know. The two things work on different axes and thus they are not mutually exclusive.

As an example, take the chart from politics: the x-axis is progressive vs. conservative, the y-axis is libertarian vs. authoritarian. This gives us a chart with four boxes and you can land in any of those. The same is true for theism/atheism and gnosticism/agnosticism.

agnostic atheism does not exist

• I chose "Other".
    I am Agnostic.
    I don't doubt that there could be a God I just need more proof.

• Not religious at all
    I have no opinion of religion

• I am Jewish.

• I have no religion since I'm Agnostic.

you can have a religion, and still be agnostic. im an agnostic jew. i question things, but, still celebrate the jewish tradition

well that's what it is

When did I said I have an opinion about what Agnosticism is?

I said "I have no religion" , therefore I know it's a definition.

What I mean when I said "That's not what Agnosticism is to me." is that I know that Agnosticism is NOT questioning things.

• syriac.

• I'm Agnostic. I don't believe in anything 100%. I disbelieve any kind of dogma.

• Atheist

• Baptist Christian background

• Christian, but not very serious about it. So more Atheist than Christian

• Atheist.

• Freeform christian

• I'm agnostic. But was raised with more Buddhist beliefs.

i thought buddhism wasn't a religion?

@Dave20154 Buddhism is a way of living rather than a religion... But you can still be a Buddhist and uprise the teachings of Buddha and still believe there is a higher power responsible for all that's happening...

• Grew up in a athiest household started thinking for myself now im a christian.

• I'm a free spirit atheist

• Im a buddhist :)

• Muzzylim

• i am a apostolic christian

• Im also an atheist

• Christian

• I'm a Zoroastrian

• Agnostic.

• A Muslim but not strict practicing one.

• I went to Christian school all my life but I'm a Muslim still

• My parents are hindu and I'm agnostic I guess...