Can weed actually be addictive?

I've always taken drugs and I've had no issues. I can take something a few times and nothing happens. My only constant is weed.

I've never had issues with that either, tho. I can stop smoking for a few months and I'm fine but this year I started smoking even more. I've been high almost all day for the past 2 or 3 months but I haven't been able to smoke any in like a month and I was kind of ok because I had to deal with other things that kept my mind bussy but this week, life went back to normal (meaning I don't have those other things anymore) and I've been feeling really anxious and guess what's all I think about...

I can't buy any weed right now because of reasons but I'm starting to feel desperate so I think I'll try my best to get some tomorrow but this got me thinking... is this addiction or what the fuck? can you even be addicted to weed? specially if you have no issues with stronger drugs?

Most Helpful Guy

• Marijuana is not physically addictive. However, when consumed regularly and in relatively large quantities, it can be mentally/emotionally addictive. The same goes for tobacco.
    An example for a physically addictive drug would be heroin. A heroin user can't get off his drug without going through 1-2 weeks of excruciating pain and illness, often referred to as "turkey". Alcohol can also be physically addictive.
    When a regular smoker of weed stops smoking, they usually don't get sick. However, they might have a strong emotional urge to pick the habit up again.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking about! because I know addiction usually involves sweating, pain and who knows what else but with this, I just FEEL like I really need to smoke right now. Thanks

Yeah, three times a day is definitely too much for weed. Like I said, I'm not a drug-hater or anything like that. I've smoked it myself for a couple of years (very, very moderately though). Unfortunately, weed can have some rather ugly long-term effects if you do it too much. There's nothing wrong with a good joint on the weekend with a couple of friends but it shouldn't be something that you feel like you need to do it...

Yeah I'm shit lol

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah sounds like your going through the side effects of having weed everyday. If you do stop you do start to feel anxious and paranoid, if you stop for a few weeks it should go away eventually. It can become an addiction if you rely on it to stop any other effects, for instance drinking makes you less stressed out - the more you rely on it the more your going to want, hence an addiction.

I've never heard of that happening with weed. I'm shit lol.

Thanks.

Haha, no worries, you should go back to normal and once you start (if you start again) smoking weed you'll get higher quicker lol

I hope so lol because yeah I definitely will

What Guys Said 11

• Yes weed is addictive. There's different types of addiction.

Physical addiction is when your body suffers from withdrawal symptoms and the body begins to shake and sweat.

Weed is more psychological, much like masturbation. People smoking weed or masturbating don't show physical withdrawal when they stop. But the urge to smoke up or wank off increases over time. The person wants to do it... they know they can do it... and then well... they do it.

Yeah I think my psych once mentioned something similar happening with sex (I forgot about it until now that you mentioned masturbation).

Yeah, I think some of the responses below had a more coherent explanation than the one I gave. I wasn't thinking straight, as I was eating chips... which is my addiction.

• Not in the form of physical dependence like tobacco and the whole opiods family but more so psychological dependency. A sort of temporary escapism. Much like a sweet dream that ended , people wants to close their eyes and go back to the dream again. Psychological dependency is rare but very real.

"Much like a sweet dream that ended , people wants to close their eyes and go back to the dream again" good way to describe it

The pursuit of happiness , when people can't find in it reality , some looks to the world of narcotics , as false as that temporary happiness may be.
      #philosophical

• there abstinence symptoms and it negatively effects your mental health and especially your memory in the long run.

by smoking weed a lot, it supplies your body with certain stimulations. those stimulations are usually caused by hormones that the brain produces. by constantly supplying those stimuli, your brain gets used to not produce the hormones that are usually needed for those stimuli, hence you can get addicted.

also smoking weed totally kills your short term memory. i know that from a friend of mine who smoked weed for like 10 years. he almost appears demented... telling me the same storry more than once sometimes.

Yeah I have a couple of fucked up friends who can be annoying if you hang with them for too long

• depends on your mind state are you strong or are you weak?

if you are easily manipulated , unstable , or go through emotional setbacks how do you cope with stress or ill feelings

basically do you have any type of depression and if yes how do you deal with them

if you are strong willed with your priorities together knowing what must be done in life you'll be okay but if you EVER have a set back in life

remember to stay strong because weed can consume you down to a bottomless pit if you let it

I'm all of the things you mentioned lmao

bad things**

i started smoking at age 12 and now i am 22 with a marijuana problem , i am doing a lot better now getting my life together , striving for success to be respected as a independent man but there was a very dark period in my life where weed consumed me mentally and it played a huge role in how my life turned out , so granny KEEP YA HEAD UP , STRIVE AND LIVE LIFE , KNOW THE GAME OF LIFE and DONT FALL OUT YOUR LANE.. and smoke some weed get lifted to a blissful breeze realizing there is a beauty to life while we soul search on a deeper level contemplating this life xP... stay strong willed granny... it is best to be in control of yourself in times like these... since you been smoking for couples months straight... try to find new hobbies

• It can be psychologically addicted... But on a physical level, no, its actually safer than tobacco in that respect.

Yeah I don't feel anything physical. It must be hell to be addicted to heroin or stuff like that.

Oh god no.. the coming down phase of that crap can kill you, not joking either.

• Can't wait till it's legal next spring!!

• Yes it is addictive.

• Physically addictive, as in causing withdrawal symptoms, no.
    It is psychologically addictive however, and damages the frontal lobes of the brain is consumption is done regularly for over 14 months.

I hope they get better on your side too.
      :)

Thanks

• I've known some guys who smoke all the time and they try to quit from time to time and it's never worked out.

• First hand from a friend of mine without even reading this, I can tell you "Yaaas!"

You mean in a "he lost his money, house, etc" kind of way or "he's stupid af now"?

He cleaned up his act, but not before he did some permanent brain damage. Not quite the sharp witted guy he once was by the time he was 25. He works in construction nowadays. Still lived at home when he was under the influence.

• I just quit smoking for a dug test for a job for 5 days and I got the job lol. I am going to stop smoking it for a while. I think I need a break. :)

I can't believe I passed at the clinic they made me do weird things like actually locking up my stuff, bringing it to them, not flushing the toilet. =)

whatever, got the job!

Did you not read the description? that has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked

I don't think you're really addicted. It could be your mindset about enjoying it and you could be a bit stressed because of work and you sometimes think about doing it.

I'm not really sure how your reaction to it is first hand because I don't really know you Granny.

What Girls Said 8

• It's not physically addictive but it can be psychologically. Same as anything that makes you feel better when you're down or stressed. If it's becoming a problem for you it's a good idea to speak to your doctor (it's confidential remember, they're there to help, they won't turn you in if it's illegal where you are)

Right now, the last thing I need is more problems but I'll talk to someone eventually. Thanks

Good luck <3

• Don't believe anyone who says it's not for example I'm extremely addicted. It is addictive.
    And you do sound addicted.

• Not physically but I think people get addicted to the feeling, once you taste something that relaxes you, you'll keep going back to it to get that feeling again.

• If you have anxiety you need to get on medication, not weed

I don't think I have anxiety as a disorder. I have some other shit with anxiety related symptoms or something but I've never been diagnosed with that as an official disorder. But anyways I can't afford meds lol those things are expensive.

Sorry, your profile said the U. S. Well since you said you think you dont have it as a disorder I would just white knuckle it until the craving goes away

thanks

• Maybe too much of it.

• Yes! Weed is addictive. It can also cause brain damage.

Yeah I know that last bit. I actually have a couple of friends that are insanely slow and I blame weed.

Then why do you take it?

• I smoke weed sometimes. It might be, but I never been to addictive to weed.

• Weed can definitely be addictive