Can accents change?

I have an australian accent, however I've been in Canada back and forth because my parents divorced really young and then decided to go to uni in Canada, any who i've been dating my boyfriend for over a year and he and my friends have said my accent has sort of went away, they can tell i have it a little however its barely there and even my mates back in aus say this! I didn't know this was possible lol. Has this happened to anyone or know anyone

Most Helpful Guy

• Once you get past a certain age (your teens, give or take) it is extremely unlikely that much will change.

My mother emigrated to Canada from the UK as a child and sounds Canadian. My dad did the same as a young man and sounds mid Atlantic at best.

I moved to the UK at 18, and retained my Canadian accent.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, they can. Its like learning a different language when being in the country. You adapt the local accent of that language.

What Guys Said 9

• I think it is possible. I remember reading somewhere about Mel Gibson used to have an Australian accent in his early days as an actor such as when he was in the Mad Max movies, but then he spent a long time in the US and over time his original Australian accent had disappeared or something, so when you hear him talk now he speak, he would just like most Americans. So I guess over time your environment and where you are living at for a long time can affect your accents.

• You're probably quite suggestible. I'm not, so I doubt my accent would change. Also, the English accent is righteous. So there's no reason why one would change it if one is already speaking correctly. If one is Canadian or Australian, then it makes no difference if one subtly moves to the 'other side', since both are somewhat awry.

• Not for countries of the same language. But if you start speaking French constantly, it might change a bit

• Yes it can, but you'll never loose it entirely, which is nice. It also depends on the person, a great example of this is Arnold Schwarzenegger - his Austrian accent is very strong, and he's been here sin the '60's. He is an example often pointed to, concerning your ques.

• Of course! My mother lived in Ireland for the first 15 years of her life and now she has nearly no Irish accent.

• Yeah I have a coworker that is from Ireland and her accent is quickly changing from just living in the US and mine is constantly changing depending where I'm living

• I don't think so my mom has lived here for most of her life and still speaks with a Mexican accent.

I think sometimes its if we want to lose it then we will if we don't we won't

• I just know the fact that a Australian girl loosing her accent makes me sad
    Rip cute as hell accent

• yeah.
    he can effect ur accent.
    same as everything else

What Girls Said 10

• Yes accents do change..

• Yes it is. When I was younger I had a very heavy southern accent then I moved to Michigan for a few years. Completely lost my accent.

• For my dad it did. He had a Boston accent for 18 years and once he came to Seattle the accent went away.

• Yeah it's possible.

• Yeah accents can change depending on where you live or what you hear the most

• Nope, I still have my accent.

• Mine changed into an American originally I had a kiwi. Yes but not when you're too old

• Yeah I lost my Brazilian accent after 2 years of living in America :( kinda miss it to be honest

• Yes, they can, but it really depends mostly on age.

• they can if you live long enough somewhere else