Can I report a patient for sexual harassment?

I work at a hospital, and there's this middle aged female patient. She's been always throwing flirty comments at me, and I just laughed it off until today. She squeezed my buttocks, and told me that I have "very nice firm butts." It caught me off guard, and was very unsettling. I didn't tell my coworkers or adviser, and I'm afraid that they will tell me that accuse me of being too sensitive, and tell me to man up. Is it possible to report a hospitalized patient for sexual harassment or should I just let it go?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you feel unsafe or like this could be a problem for you then yes report it. If the mental state of the patient of the patient is an issue though then I wouldn't expect it to go far. I've had my boobs grabbed by people not quite with it but never saw it as a potential threat to my safety. Do you feel unsafe? Demeaned? Do you feel like the patient does this to you to put you in your place or show dominance? Do you feel like this person will use these acts (even if from their end) against you? I feel like there are a lot of questions to ask yourself before reporting something but this is just my opinion. I worked in the medical field and unfortunately these things happen like I said I ask my self the above questions to discern if this will be an on going issue and what the intent is esp. in the case of patients. Goodluck!

Also does this happening hurt your ability to do your job? That's a big question to ask yourself as well.

Most Helpful Guy

• Before reporting her you must be able to demonstrate clearly that you've told her the behavior is unwelcome. Otherwise she'll just say you were asking for it.

What Girls Said 12

• Yes you can but I would just let it go. I'll give you the same advice as your coworkers: man up. If you get hit on take it proudly. I get my ass slapped all the time and I don't file complaints each time. Sure I get upset but who really cares in the end?

Yeah, you don't really have a job. I have a professional job. It's a different story.

• It's completely unacceptable. I believe that you should notify someone of the situation, and if it happens again, make sure you tell her it is unwelcome. Perhaps if you say something, they will take you away from that patient. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Harassment is not fun, not a joke, and a very difficult situation.

• That's creepy. With her being middle aged, she probably doesn't think anything of it. Guys at one of my previous work places used to grab, spank or pinch my arse. They were around the same age group as me and it was only a bit of fun. Not to be taken seriously. Let it go, but if she keeps doing it then report her.

• If you feel violated then yes. If a female experienced this, I'm sure everyone would support her reporting the patient. Yes go for it. Sorry you experienced this ;-;

• Try to report since it makes you feel uncomfortable. I don't know if it's possible but you should try, you should be able to feel comfortable in you place of work.

• Yes you totally should

• i don't think this is a suitable place to go to ask about that. Does your workplace have an hr department? They will probably just assign someone else to that patient. That would be my guess

• I don't believe this story is real but if it is no offense.
    Yes you should and tell them that she makes you feel uncomfortable

ah yes. only females can get sexually harassed right? it's really hard to believe that women don't sexually harass men.

• Lol that's funny just tell her you have a girlfriend.

• Probably possible. You can ask to switch with another doctor or nurse

• Just be proud of it or switch with a different doctor/nurse

• Yes, report her! That's disgusting and she needs to learn to keep her old hands to herself!

What Guys Said 9

• I think what @outmyroom meant to say that it's not a very big deal, for some it is for some it isn't. For me it not that awkward that i file a suit. She is your patient, maybe it's meds, she is being flirty, have you told her how you feel? Or are you enjoying that n didn't told the authorities yet? However it would be a completely different story if a random out of nowhere, someone grabbed your ass. Then i would consider it reporting.

• Is she on medication?
    Sometimes when people are on certain meds they act very differently unintentionally.
    Some of them even hallucinate and stuff too when in the hospital on meds.

• You could, but being a male, harassed by a female, the chances are you'll be ignored.

• you should report it asap

• Let it go.
    If that is the worst that you have to worry about you have a pretty good life.

• Why am I thinking this is a posted who will go "why isn't anyone flirting with me?" in a few years?

• Consider it part of her healing process

Just Dodge her next time. Let it go

• Only if there are witnesses with you.

• first, tell her to stop! if she doesn't then go ahead and complain to your superiors, or check out when she's leaving so you can decide to endure her if it won't be too long till she leaves