Am I going full on bipolar?

So tonight I agreed to marry a 54 year old man and blew my a large chunk of my savings on an impromptu shopping spree. Does that officially make me bipolar?

3mo I don't use the term bipolar lightly. My mom was bipolar so I know what it looks. I legitimately feel like I'm losing it rn

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not a qualified specialist so I can't give quality advice on bipolar vs not bipolar. However, based on the knowledge I do have of bipolar disorder...
    -- Includes mania stages with things like impaired judgement, impulisive/risky behavior
    -- Can manifest late teens or early adulthood
    -- Often is genetic/runs in families
    So if this was kind of a mania episode, this does fit the bill, especially with your mom being bipolar and all.

What do you do now?
    Well, I think the worst you can do is freak out over this situation. Rather, stressing over the bipolar-vs-non-bipolar issue will just make you go crazy-- it won't help. Relax. Eat a snickerdoodle (if you like snickerdoodle cookies).

You may not be bipolar and your mind may be playing tricks on you. The mind often does that, and will even pretend to enact symptoms, even if they aren't really there. It's like how webMD always says "cancer." It's too early to say. For all you know, you could have been overly excited by the prospect of marriage with it not stemming from anything but that. I think the bigger issue at hand is the engagement.

What to do now?
    My personal advice: Squash this before it goes too far. I saw that you said you love someone else. Coming from his perspective, I'm imagining how it would be being told near the day of the wedding "I don't love you" vs being told before I bought the ring "I don't love you." Both will hurt, but I'd say being told before things take off would be better. The longer it takes, the harder the pill it is to swallow. (Not to mention he doesn't have to buy ring, and he hopefully wouldn't have told everyone and face less shame from that.)

I don't believe in the concept of learning to love someone in time when it comes to something like engagements/marriage. I figure if the engagement is already off to a rocky start, the marriage will almost certainly be very rough. Likewise, trying to force a marriage will be absolutely dreadful for you, because you'll be essentially throwing yourself in a trap. It will be wasting your time and closing you off to developing where you want to go off to.

From my perspective (as an internet stranger typing a long ass answer), it was a mistake to agree to engagement you weren't committed for. That being said, it'd be an even bigger mistake-- a huge mistake, to to follow through on a marriage you weren't committed for. It's ultimately your life, but that's my two cents on the matter. You are free to accept/reject it as you please. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• No, that alone doesn't make you bipolar, but the fact that your mother was bipolar does. There is a chance that the offspring of someone with a mental disorder can also have that disorder, though it isn't 100% likely.

With that said, it's normal for an adult to go on a random shopping spree. It's also normal to agree to do something you might not fully want to do, or to make a quick decision about important matters.

I agree with what dangerDoge said about your mind possibly playing tricks on you. For a couple years I used to research mental disorders a LOT, so much that I started believing I had those symptoms. Simply because the thought of it was on my mind, I tricked myself into believing I was OCD, then a year later Schizophrenic. I'm not actually, but I truly believed it at the time.
    So, sit back, grab your favorite snack, and relax a bit. Clear your head of mental illnesses. Maybe try returning some of those clothes you bought, too, and tell the guy your real feelings before it's too late.

What Guys Said 20

• 4|1
  • that's a total Gemini zodiac person act which is somehow bipolar by born, I can understand cause I had a girlfriend with that disorder and she destroyed my life !! bipolars should be held in a rehabilitation center or hospital, they are very dangerous and most likely to be criminals and psychopaths !!!
    it's the first step to schizophrenia and I don't have to talk about that !!
    bipolars are the most evil humans on earth !!
    by the way if you are really a bipolar then i have to tell you that soon you will cheat on him drag him to show his weakest ugliest face then judge him upon it to and use it as an excuse and put it as an explanation to your actions, you will turn him into a heartless beast who will revenge you through all women he meets after you !!!
    bipolar is not something you should wonder if you have it's something you should make sure you don't have !

• Oh damn your not seriously going through this are you? I'm unsure of what bipolar disorder technically is and have not dealt with it myself but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Message me if you wanna talk.

He is supposed to bring me a ring on Sunday. I said yes but I suppose I will see how I feel on Sunday.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know which ways up

Do you feel like you are lost?
      I say take a step back, breathe and look at the big picture. Than go from there. Are you with the person you love as well?

• Seems like you were maybe overwhelmed or something I know you know that's not the right decision to make!

• Wtf are you doing with your life lmao

• What the...
    are you sure your not drunk or high?

• Bipolar isn't teen slang. You can't go "Full on bipolar". Swag yolo deez nuts, ya feel me? Dank memes melt steel beams.

• Need more details, how long did you know the guy and were you serious about being with him before this? Thats a pretty big age gap

We met December of 2014 I believe it was. We've been very on again off again but he's always loved me. We picked up again recently.

That WOULD be sensible I agree, but he thinking a Vegas wedding next month, so I agreed to that

wowww, hmm, you can always call it off you know? I feel like it doesn't sound good but maybe it would work, in 10 years hed be 64 and you 31 are you ok with that? What if his sex drive is gone down and you want it more, or if he's older and you aren't as attracted to him anymore?

• Are you being honest?

• You agreed to marry a 54 year old man?

• What?
    What so!
    Gosh, for real?

• You're high

• meh.

what did you buy?

I bought a lot of clothes and underwear from VS and Ralph Lauren and Michael Kors and some smaller places. And I bought some makeup and fragrances. And some shoes. And some lighting equipment and lingerie and sex toys. Etc

• Will u marry me

• I feel sorry for that guy... He'll die young if he marries you

• I'd go with crazy.

• I think a doctor would be better suited or this question if its as serious as you feel

• Whatever you do, just don't go full retard. Never go full retard!

Anyway, I'm not sure I know enough about bipolar disorder, but if your mom had it you're probably at risk. Maybe go see a doctor?

• If he is rich, go for it. Then after you can afford treatment, ik there isn't any. But meds can help.

• Do u even know what bipolar is?

Intimately. My mother is bipolar. She was in and out of hospitals my whole life. I'm reminding myself of her since my dog died

What Girls Said 10

• Do you have me to thank for this, at least in some small part? (Well, thank me or curse the day I was born... depending)

__

In any case... I'm a bit sensitive to joking about bipolar disorder, considering that my teenage manic/depressive episodes were so bad that I barely made it out alive.
    But, **if** you actually DO have the other symptoms, then, yeah, you might do these sorts of things during a manic/hypomanic episode. (You would probably also be pretty much not sleeping at all.)

Oh, and, congratulations. (:

I am not joking. My mother is bipolar. I literally think I am right now. It just fits with my life and this recent shit makes it hard to think otherwise.

And thanks tho he's not the man I love

He's the actor I told you about. I will give you all the details. It's so all so complicated

Yeah lmk when you can.

... When you get a chance ahah

I have so many questions... LOL not least about what's going to happen with the man you actually love! Holy shit on a stick girlfrennnnnn

• No, it makes you illogical, and stupid. Use your brain, instead of trying to self-diagnose. If you are really concerned of being bipolar, go to a professional instead of the internet. You just seem like you're doing this for attention instead of actually getting help.

Just read the update, still, go get checked out instead of asking about it on the internet. No one is going to be able to help you here. See a professional.

• I don't know much about this disorder.. what you need right now is a doctor.. not a husband who's more than twice your age.. get your shit together

• Ask your doctor - a person who's going to give you the most conclusive assessment.

• I regret to say that I've now heard it all. smh

• I'm glad I read your update because I was about to bite your head off. My mom, father, and brother are bipolar so I know the signs. Spending and impulsivity are signs. What other symptoms do you have?

• Bipolar no, full retarded..(No offense) yes. What are you doing? You know damn well you don't want a 54 year old man lol is this a joke? XD

• No, but you should see a psychiatrist. That does sound like a manic episode.

• maybe you're in a manic episode.

• A 54 year old man got a gal! Nice!
    Sorta weird, but congrats I guess. 😂