Ever went to church and instead of feeling enlightened, you felt anxious instead?

I went to church a couple weeks ago with my two Aunts, my Grandma, my cousin and her 4yr old son. August 6th would have been my Grandpas 94th birthday, so my Grandma had a mass said for him on Sunday August 7th. I went with and I'm glad I went, the church was at my old school St. Jude's and I really liked being there seeing my school building and being inside the church all that was great. Until the priest started talking and saying his sermon, then I felt anxious and depressed. Instead of enlightened and up lifted. Which I know is not how church should make you feel.

I realized though from that experience, living my life in the good way that I do, treating people in the good way that I do and praying to God one on one and believing in him in the spiritual way I do, is all I need have peace within myself. Which, I think is a good thing.

Even still, I wonder if anybody else has ever went to church and felt that way. So, have any of you ever felt that way?

Most Helpful Guy

• In my belief:
    Going to church is a person’s way of interacting on a Spiritual level with God. We come together as a group, because God says not to forsake the assembly and when we come together in Jesus the Christ name, then he is there in the room with us. This is how a great many people feel. It is deeply personal and each person connects to it in their own unique way. I seriously doubt any two people would view their Spiritual path in the same way; as I said. Deeply personal.

So this being said, my answer to your question is yes. I have gone to church and felt depressed instead of uplifted. In part some of the reason behind my reaction had more to do with my own personal ‘demons’ and regrets regarding life and the choices I’ve made, the things that have happened to me over the years, and my desire in wishing I could have changed them and made different choices, therefore while sitting in church reflecting on my life, the past, and the future of my own existence, sometimes it can be a more depressing church experience rather than uplifting and enlightening one.

Then there was a time when I was sitting in a church and as the person stepped up to the podium and began preaching the sermon I was perturbed by the subject matter. There wasn’t anyone one particular item he said that set me pondering why he was giving his sermon in such a way; it was filled with anger and as depressing as one could imagine.

Perhaps he was attempting to make a point about sin and the things we should or should not do, but what stuck in my mind was he wasn’t tempering the sermon with uplifting points as well. So the sermon came across as bitter and filled with the old “hellfire and brimstone” type of feel. It really was depressing and I left the assembly feeling worse leaving than when I arrived. And it shouldn’t be that way in my opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• That means you are feeling some kind of bad energy rather than the presence of God. I would not go to that one or when that particular priest is doing the homily. It makes all the difference. Some are annointed. Some are the opposite.

What Guys Said 16

• I was 12 the last time I went to a church. My mum was having one of her monthly moments and was being religious for a bit, so I had to sit there on a pew wearing a shirt that said "cool dude" on whilst a bunch of old people ate those weird circle things.

• Definitely. I grew up going to church, but then eventually me and my family stopped and struggled to find any good churches. A few weeks ago I started going again with my cousin to her church, and now we don't go anymore because the pastor keeps expecting money. I don't like that part either.

Preachers tend to be too aggressive about teaching the word, and that makes people feel uneasy.

• Did your priest ever tell you to read the Bible? I don't think so... Did you know that the Bible is incomplete? The reason is the Church only let certain books in the Bible... The Catholic Church for some reason dose not want you to actually read the word of God... Most Catholics never read the Bible... Even though it is incomplete... God Bless You...

• It was most likely his sermon and old school catholic. Seem to have that effect on people. I've been to a very few catholic services and I've felt that way. ( I am Lutheran)

• I've never felt enlightened in a church. More often than not it's an uncomfortable feeling, best case I just feel nothing. But I can count the times I've been in a church during the last 15 years on one hand... so it doesn't matter

• Yes, I've had that experience.

Try another church. If the minister's preaching style doesn't help you, maybe another's will.

• Every time i ever went to church i felt it was a waste of time. I also felt like they were draining away my intelligence.

• What was the sermon about if you don't mind me asking. That might have something to do with it.

• When you're a black guy living in the Deep South going to an all white church in the middle of nowhere, you get pretty anxious

and considering that my gf's grandma is racist and goes to that church, anxiousness seems pretty justified

• I don't need a church to talk to my gods...
    A church is just a house made by people.
    Go into nature if you want to feel enlightened.

• Was it more of what he said or how he said it?

• yeah anxious to get home and watch the game

• I'm always as nervous as a whore in church

• Yup, A friend got married and i clicked pictures.
    Nice ambience though.

• Nah never been to church

• Every time. I hate having to sing in public.

What Girls Said 3

• Yes, because my parents would volunteer me to help the priest and read something from the Bible.

• Yeah, priests can say weird things and bring their own personal interpretations into everything.

• I'm not religious