Can you answer this trick question?

I've asked this to a bunch of other people and all of them got it wrong.

Handsome Jack is looking at Lilith, and Lilith is looking at Roland. Handsome Jack is married, but Roland is not. Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?

A) Yes
B) No
C) Cannot be determined

Most Helpful Girl

• C

We know Jack who is married is looking at Lilith and Lilith is looking at Roland who is not married. There's nothing stating whether Lilith is married or single.

So Jack being married and looking at Lilith who we don't know the status of we're unable to determine if a married person is looking at an unmarried person. Also without knowing if Lilith is married and looking at Roland who is single we're still unable to determine if a married person is looking at an unmarried person.

you solved it right
      then picked the wrong answer

@Dimmu To pick any other answer you'd have to know if Lilith is married or single. We don't know if she's married or single. The only way I can see a married person looking at an unmarried person would be if Jack were looking at Roland.

If she is married:
      Lilith (married) looking at Roland (unmarried)
      If she is unmarried:
      Jack (married) looking at Lilith (unmarried)

Most Helpful Guy

• Must be A since she is looking at an unmarried man so she must not be married that's why jack is looking at her but jack is married so that means jack has wandering eyes, lol

That's not really how this works xD you're making this waaaay too complicated lol

It does matter though xD unless you know how to look at it lol

Yeah I did @thisperson98 explained it well also

What Girls Said 12

• Depends if Lilith is married.. i'm gonna say no because why would a married man (Handsome Jack) be looking at another girl if he's already married. I'm thinking the Lilith is Handsome Jacks... But then if Lilith is married to Handsome Jack, why is she looking a someone else (Roland)... I've just gotten myself confused now

• C) can't be determined, because you didn't say if Lilith is married or not

• C because you don't know what Lilith is

• I don't like this question

• Surely it's C? As we don't know L's marital status?

• Yeah cause if jack is looking at Lilith then isn't he married to her? and she's looking at Roland. so it's A because she's married and Roland isn't.

• isn't it C since there is no way of determining whether or not lilith is married. The only way we would know is if we knew what direction both lilith and jack are looking and where the 3 people were standing since roland could possibly be in the line of sight of jack

You're making this way too complicated XD Handsome jack is looking at Lilith and Lilith is looking at Roland. It's that simple xD

• It's C!!!

• It has to be c... right?

• C is the right answer

• C!!!

• We dont know what Lilith's marital status is. So C..
    If I had to guess Jack is married to Lilith but she's looking at Roland.

What Guys Said 10

• Can't be determined.

1) Lilith who's status is unknown is being looked at by a married man (Handsome Jack).
    2) She is looking at an unmarried man (Roland).

Unless you knew Lilith's status, how could you know?

Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. It's all about how you aproach this problem.

Okay, now I understand. Time to get out the Mensa book and start with the "Liars and Truthtellers" questions. You know the one where only less than 6% of the population get?

This isn't really the same as liars and truth tellers. With those puzzles, you get a few statements and you know one person is lying and the rest are speaking the truth. The you compare the statements with eachother till everything makes sense. Not really the same thing here lol

• The answer is A

Because Jack is married but Lilith is not and Jack is looking at Lilith.

Or Lilith is married and it just doesn't say so and she's looking at Roland who is not married.

Either way the same answer A would probably be the right one, simple matter of using of akums razor, after all the simplest answer is usually the right one, right?

• the answer is A, yes

2 scenarios:

1. Lilith is not married:
    - Jack -> Lilith (married -> unmarried) true
    - Lilith -> Roland (unmarried -> unmarried)

2. Lilith is married
    - Jack -> Lilith (married -> married)
    - Lilith -> Roland (married -> unmarried) true

so there is always one married person looking at an unmarried one. Really easy if you just check both possible solutions

• The only person you mentioned thats married is Jack, Roland isn't so the major factor is Lilith because Jack is looking at Lilith. You didn't say she's married or not so 'It can't be determined' until you establish Lilith's status.
    You could say they are in a line therefore the answer would be yes, but you didn't say that so it's still not determined.

What do you mean "they're in a line"? I don't get that part lol

The 'line' part was if Lilith was in the middle, Jack behind and Roland in the front, but technically thats also wrong because we don't know their 'height' either, therefore I was trolling. XD

I see lol xD well I'm pretty sure their height has nothing to do with it :P

• A) yes, because if Lilith was married, it would be correct because they are looking at a unmarried person. If Lilith was unmarried, Jack would be looking at a unmarried person.

I do like the way you're looking at this.

If Lilith was married she would be lookin at a married person but Lilith is looking at Roland and he is unmarried.

@Juicy__Guard if Lilith was married, Lilith would still be looking at Roland. That will mean that Lilith (married) is looking at a unmarried person, Roland.
      So if Lilith is not married, it Lilith would be still looking at Roland. But Jack will always look at Lilith, so that still means there is a married person looking at a unmarried person.

• C. We have no clue what Lilith

• cannot be determined. we do not know Lilith's marital status.

• C. it tdoesn't say where roland is looking

• Yes. Handsome jack

Sure handsome jack is married. But can you be sure lilith is unmarried. If not, a is incorrect.

• A) yes

Lilith marital status doesn't matter
      cause it will satisfy the condition both ways

wow,
      there is no single girl solved it right