Do grand-parents have rights over their grandchild?

My boyfriend and I have been together for around 3 years now. We are starting to think about having kids. Not in the next year but in a few years. His parents have always abused (sexually and physically), neglected him, etc. I am wondering if we have kids, can they go to the court and demand visits? We don't want anything to do with them.

If he would want our kids to see his parents, is there a way I could stop his parents from seeing our kids? Is there a document that I could sign to make sure that I don't have to worry about them because they would bring us to court. They are crazy.

I am from Canada... just so you know because laws may be different. I live in Quebec but his family is from Ontario.

I know this sounds so negative but I'm worried.

Most Helpful Guy

• Parents usually have soul custody of their children until they are deemed an adult (usually 18). This means that you can decide who can visit your children and who can't. If you believe that his parents could possibly harm your child you can get a restraining order on them so they cannot visit.

If however he wants his parents involved in the children lives he has just as much say over what happens with the children as you do so that's something you have to deal with as a couple.

Most Helpful Girl

• They don't have rights but they can be considered next of kin. If you're really concerned I'd visit a lawyer and have something written up that any children go to your parents and not his or god parents or something.

What Guys Said 4

• Nope

Unless something happens to you, the grandparents get no power

• No they can't tgeir your children

• Parents policy rules.

• No. Parents have full control of their children. Grandparents cannot fight for visits.

What Girls Said 1

• Not really, unless they have full custody of the child.