Religious teachings vs sexual revolution?

Sexual revolution has taken whole of the West, and most minds of East. Do you think that religious teachings are no more relevant, or that we don't wish to follow them? What is the reason behind change in thinking.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think that the two need be linked. Granted, some 'Religions' make it a sin to have some kinds of intimate contact, out of wedlock, but others do not address it.
    I think a person can choose, today, what they believe, and many follow what they were raised with.
    I believe that in Western culture there is a good reason for people to understand the basics of the Judeo-Christian basis, as it is pervasive throughout that society in the culture, art, movies, and mainstream.
    That isn't to say that knowing, and having an understanding means a person is obligated to follow that!
    Quite the contrary!! I was raised with those values, and I respect those, their beliefs, but they are not what I believe now.
    I choose my own Way, and I choose what I like among many beliefs, and call that my own.
    Sex is NOT a sin, in my belief, unless it is degrading, and hurting another.
    Consensual loving, and intimacy, among willing partners is a wonderful thing, and nothing to be ashamed of or in any way, sinful.

Most Helpful Girl

• More freedom, more information and with that a lack of fear regarding a spiritual afterlife. Religion is for controlling the populace but we have too much knowledge to accept it blindly now. Religion doesn't hold the answers or claimed to before we have science (now that religion has stopped trying to make it heracy).

Many have been liberated from religion by information and knowledge, this spreads to all sorts of places due to our increased mobility and communication.

What Guys Said 16

• Am Christian. I think the purpose of the Bible is to protect one from themselves and from the flawed state of existence we live in. One wonders why the Bible would suggest don't have sex before married (e. g. don't mate before you are committed). There are various obvious risks to mating before married... it can result in connecting to the wrong person and emotional pain, can result in offspring you aren't ready for or cannot handle, and further suffering of human kind via the offspring's emotional wounds that play out over their lives. We all harbor emotional core wounds... shame, fear, anger. If you think about the time when Christ was here...2000yrs back, people have babies they didnt' want and instead of aborting early, they'd have them and throw them out to the dogs or leave on the street, or just run a sword through them... a very honest way of abortion, albeit we all would agree that is really awful.

I believe the Bible is right in what it states and myself, I'd rather have had one good committed relationship. But you have to make your own decisions how to live life and we are all working out what it is we need in life, who we are, if we are lovable and how to love ourselves and others. Intwined with that is sex drive.

I myself stayed pure until 30 (naked girl no intercourse) and year later intercourse, so I gave it my best... but I was screwed up from childhood wounds (couldn't bond emotionally) and had issues in relationships and it took a very screwed up relationship to dislodge me to where I'm mentally healthier and now able to have a good relationship. Sometimes... the pain and suffering from all of the choices is what is helpful to get us to grow... If we stop and learn from each relationship.

So I would advise others to go slow, establish healthy boundaries for yourself, be an adult and accept consequences of what you are doing. If I was young I'd wait for a committed relationship, no question on that. I would not casual hookup.

You learn a lot about yourself and others as you mate, but you really want to take it slowly as the bonding chemicals take over. I think people are way too promiscuous as society has degraded to be quite selfish and demand immediate gratification without long term commitment. Possibly planned, or continual degredation.

Best advice I can give is be an adult, accept who you are (you are imperfect in an imperfect family and world), work on yourself to be the best you can

• The reason behind the change in thinking is that is part of a plan by the global elite to destroy the moral fibre and cultural integrity of Western Civilisation.
    Their willing minions and useful idiots in academia, the arts and Feminism have implemented this plan with glee. Not because they or the elite had something better to offer. Rather, they wanted to watch the world burn out of sheer hatred and spite.
    I am not a Christian, but anyone who claims to be cannot engage in pre or extra martial sex, or homosexual acts. The Bible places an absolute prohibition on such things.

• Religious teachings can be viewed as a crutch. 2,000 years ago, we needed this crutch so we could walk better. Nowadays however, we have strong legs and a muscular back and the crutch doesn't help us - in fact, it constantly gets in the way and makes walking more difficult.
    Modern ethics developed by philosophers of the past 200-300 years are FAR superior to any religious teachings.
    In fact, most of the things people these days mistake for religious teachings are in fact things they believe in thanks to secular humanism.

• Religious teachings shouldn't have been relevant for the past 600 years. But the Church loved burning people alive if they disagreed with them, which was a totally okay thing to do in the name of God and all.

The reason behind change in thinking is the Internet. People are finally not obligated to follow the mindset of those that surround them, and are exposed to other ideas other than what their immediate family and immediate surroundings force down your throat.

Which is why Islam is a bit more strict and legit stones you to death and cuts off your hands and decapitates you and burns you alive for "leaving Islam". They don't want to lose their influence on their slaves, so they enforce it with an iron hand.

I don't agree to your opinion's last para. It is not Islamic teachings, rather man-made laws which are nowhere implemented except by a few , militant group, having no state of their own.

And yet it's only and exclusively done in Islamic regions... hmm? It seems odd to think that's a coincidence.

• Basically the reason is the technology (effective birth control and prophylaxis) allows us to have sex with little chance of unwanted consequences. in my opinion that's a fine thing. The old morality was intended to prevent transmission of disease and bastard children. We have better ways to do that now.

So in short, yes, I think that religious sexual morality is no longer relevant. And at least most people in the US seem to agree. Since 1940 about 90% of men and woman in the US have had sex before marriage.

• I think it has to do more with the elite (who used to be almost all religious leaders) trying to the control the populace based on their own ideas of what was right and not. There are actually lost books from the Bible that describe Adam & Eve having sex, and there's many sexual themes in the bible. However, religious leaders seem to have twisted the meaning or made their own for these sorts of things. Really the only thing the Bible actually says is that all sexual acts within a marriage are okay in the eyes of God, but remember people in that age got married at like 14 and barely knew each other, so today the translation of a "marriage" might be one in spirit and not physical.

• i still follow religious teachings and my religion rules. but it is true that sexual revolution has taken whole of the west and east.
    but then again, its one of the signs that judgement day/qayamat is near. its written in quran if im not wrong that, people will get more shameless and gets sexual when judgement day/qayaamat will gets near

• Religion played its part in history, it worked as a glue and binded colonies to form throughout thr wold. A trust amongst everyone aside from money and gold was needed

Today we need to think like superhumans. soon enough if space travel actually becomes a thing in maybe the next 100-200 years then things are going to change big time

• Nothing has changed but perhaps the ratios of who does and who doesn't live by the "I do what I want!" kind of childish mentality.

• I think people are realising what bullshit religious teachings really are, so people are not very interested in them these days

• may be it's the society and advancement of technology.

Please do not want to stay or think in silos anymore

• Religious teachings have never been relevant. Unproven fairytales should not dictate our lives.

• A bit of both

• As slatyb noted the sexual revolution in the west coincides with the development of effective birth control pills in 1960.

other factors are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_revolution

• Religion teachings is nothing but teachings of the norm and morals of that past tried to be created as a law under a pretense it's a word of God..

It has so many contradiction, I took the good and left out the bad. Some people took the bad and left out the good. Religion can create good and evil because religion is imperfect. How can a religion supposedly be good can be an instrument even for the evil. Why must people have to cherry pick and turn the blind eye just to avoid the bad so that they can pretend their version of scripture is the perfect one.

The reason behind change in thinking is simply people are curious and wants to question things.. One of the first thing people have question is the legitimacy of religion and that was during the enlightenment age, as more people become enlightened the more they question things shoved down their diaphragm and showed up their ass.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• It's not a revolution LOL! Religion is bullshit in general and basically limits people from being who they naturally are, part of which includes being very sexual beings. As society evolves, it progresses and leaves bullshit like religion behind. Don't make it more than it is, its not a sexual revolution, it's just people finally using their brains and realizing religion has held them back. And sex is just a small part of that.

• We are just more enlightened. Context rules interpretation, you have to think of the time period religious texts were written in. I am still a christian, but I am not saving myself for marriage

• It depends what you mean by religious teaching. Sex and religion are two completely different things for me.

Sorry I failed to clarify my question. It relates to religious teaching regarding nudity and sex. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Thought something like that. But still for me its two well seperated things. Religion (or whatever you call it) is your behaviour towards other people in an open minded, understanding, and caring way. Sex has northing to do with that. You can have steaming sex and still help the poor and needed wherever necessary. A lot better than going every Sunday to church, but religion stops at the exit of the church.

• There are still billions of religious people.

• I'm not religious and do not agree with religious teachings