I don't know if I am cut out to be an EMT because I'm hard on myself?

my sister has offered to schedule a ride along with her since she's an EMT and that she can get me a job at REMSA. I took a CPR class and I passed. But I weigh a hundred pounds if I get a big patient that I have to do CPR on, that'll be difficult to do compressions because I know it's important to get 100-120 compressions per minute. If I work hard to gain muscle and hit the books, can I be a good EMT? It's not in the moment of trying to save a patient that I feel nervous or anxious it's just I wonder if I did enough afterwards.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's why they train you. They will let you know if you are good enough. Your job before you take classes is to assure yourself that you will be good enough. As for CPR and a big man, you should still be able to do CPR on him. After all, what if nobody is around between you and him and you're the only one to give it? At least, you would give him a fighting chance to stay alive. Big men may not necessarily be as tough to do CPR on than you think. I've taken CPR courses a few times.

Most Helpful Girl

• Do the ride along, it should be just what you need to help you decide. My brother was a volunteer fireman and was going to be an email. He went on his first ambo ride and learned he couldn't possibly handle it.

What Guys Said 4

• At you tender age, you never know until you try. You will experience something unique at the very least. Go for it.

• Did you ask your sister this?

I haven't talked to her about it. Knowing her, she will say I am stronger than I know.

I thought she'd say that as well, maybe ask her something like, does one need to be strong to do this job? what if the patient is a big person? maybe she'll give you a more objective answer if you don't use "I"

I think if you want to be an EMT then you will find a way to over come this, or else maybe there is something else that you'll enjoy doing and be better suited for it.

• As a former EMT your job is just to stabilize a patient & get them to the hospital so a Dr./Surgeon can do their thing. Then move on to the next call, don't look back & don't get emotionally/personally involved.
    Some people just can't be saved.

• It's not easy but rewarding , don't give up, you'll be saving lives regardless

What Girls Said 0