1992 L. A. Riots, what are your thoughts on this incident?

1992 L.A. Riots, what are your thoughts on this incident?

A series of riots, lootings, arsons, and civil disturbance that occurred in Los Angeles County, California, in 1992. The riot started in South Central Los Angeles and then spread out into other areas over a six-day period within the Los Angeles metropolitan area in California, beginning in April 1992. The riots started on April 29 after a trial jury acquitted four police officers of the Los Angeles Police Department of the use of excessive force in the videotaped arrest and beating of Rodney King, following a high-speed police chase. Thousands of people throughout the metropolitan area in Los Angeles rioted over six days following the announcement of the verdict.

Widespread looting, assault, arson, and killings occurred during the riots, and estimates of property damage was over $1 billion. The rioting ended after members of the California Army National Guard, the 7th Infantry Division, and the 1st Marine Division were called in to stop the rioting when the local police could not control the situation. In total, 55 people were killed during the riots and over 2,000 people were injured. LAPD chief of police Daryl Gates, who had already announced his resignation by the time of the riots, took much of the institutional blame for them.

Most Helpful Girl

• The LA Riots were fucking horrible. I wasn't even living in LA at the time but I remember that week still even though I was very young. It was horrible.

Lawlessness in the streets like that truck driver being beaten nearly to death in the middle of the god damn day. I just remember coming home from school and watching shit like that in the TV every single day. I didn't know what to make if it.

I reflected in the La Riots the. Night Obama won thinking look how far we've come... Then there was Furgesin and the other events of late that showed me how naive that sentiment was and this makes me really sad. But I'm glad people at least aren't being quiet about it anymore because it is a problem we as a society need to look ourselves in the eyes and address.

Most Helpful Guy

• Recession, base heads trading their welfare check and food stamps for crack cocaine, bloods vs crips wars for territory to sling crack leave the streets painted in blood, militarization of the police reacting to crazy ass people conducting organized crime in the face of prohibition, aggressive police beat a drugged up guy, poor people burn down their neighborhood and then get mad that their not getting their government check to go buy some dope...

What Girls Said 4

• Just because of the verdict that was put down, doesn't mean they have to burn a whole city. What they did was still uncalled for and they could have done it in a better way.

• I'm not even to sure what happened to be honest. I wasn't even one at the time and this wasn't really something that was talked about in Seoul. Till this day, I'm not quite sure what happened exactly.

• is that truck driver ok?

• although i don't know exactly happened I understand why it was done; the African American community was upset with the verdict as they should be. No one deserves to get beaten like Rodney King; i believe they handled the situation wrong though. They were destroying their own neighborhoods and innocent people were getting hurt. I disagree with how they handled it of course.

What Guys Said 9

• Stupid.
    Yes, the beating was unjustified, and the cops should have been sent to jail, but burning down a city because of that? What's the point of stealing a TV? Is that gonna get you any justice? Seriously, explain me how that will change the opinion of the racists.
    How is beating up a truck driver who had absolutely nothing to do with the incident, gonna help your cause? Explain.

I don't get why they had to get violent with regular people, instead of taking it to the police and the government.

I feel like that incident gave thugs and low-life criminals a chance to loot and riot under the excuse of fighting for their rights.

See, I may be young and stupid, so correct me if I'm wrong, but, if a group of people thinks you are animals, and you're less than them... don't you think acting like a freaking animal will help strengthen those views?

Same thing is going on today.

When the bart police officer was declared innocent a little while back (not sure if you heard of it), there was rioting with violence in Oakland too. Supposedly some percentage over 1/2 of people arrested for the crimes weren't even residents of California. So they pretty much heard about the issue and flocked to Oakland to cause mayhem. They may not have even really cared about the killing. Like they may have mainly wanted to burn stuff? Lol. Those cases were separate from most of the protesting.

• rioting is never ok. it doesn't serve as any answer to the anger people feel. it only causes private citizens to deal with massive re-build costs and taxpayers are burdened with destruction to private property

i can understand the anger that leads to the desire to act out but just like fighting, physical violence and destruction are rarely if ever the answer

• I think that people were (rightfully) angry and rioted. Its something that happens and it is fairly similar to certain current events

The LA Riits were still way worse than any of the rioting we've seen as of late. Most of the rioting we've seen is only happening at night. The La Riots were widespread continuous rioting for nearly a week. Even when he national guard was called in it took a while to get the situation under control. It looked like a goddamn war zone in the countries second biggest city with tanks rolling down the streets.

• I remember that. It was definitely something worth getting angry about.

Plus it gave us the immortal line: can't we all just get along?

• Just a complete travesty. That's all I can say. Those who initiated it have only themselves to blame.

• The beating was horrible and unjustified and the cops should be in jail. However, there is never a reason to riot. Anyone that torched a business or looted should be in prison too.

• Yeah I remember that well on tv, crazy how they got over the verdict even though it was wrong what those cops did and was completely wrong destroying a whole city because of their color , I'll never forget that poor truck driver being at the wrong place at the wrong time getting ripped out of his truck and beaten so bad because he was white? Talk about being just as wrong

• Well according to legal records before the part that happened on video they tasered him and he was physically able to withstand it and threw two cops off of him which is quite a physical feat which is why the cops assumed he was on PCP. Still the cops were idiots and handled it like crap. The first cop to try and restrain him did it with her gun still out which is against procedure and then that's when confusion began and caused a domino effect of everything going bad.

The riots themselves were just awful. It was a self destructive expression of rage that Rodney King himself told everyone to knock it off.

Rodney King did not deserve that beating or the unwanted emphamy that came with it. His life was ruined and the man drank himself to death. He always struck me and a kind tragic sort with his sfamous words, "can't we all just get along?"

That's right Rodney, why can't we all just get along.

@sjoes006 I never said he deserved it. I'm saying how I understand how people thought he was on PCP because of his ability to withstand what he withstood early on in the beating. That is not even close to saying he deserved it.