Is it possible to work and get two weeks a year off for travel?

One bitter reality I realized when I was expected to be an adult is that, Americans work a lot and employers expect you to follow suit and be okay with that. I want to be an EMT but I can't take of people if I don't take care of myself. I am not asking if I can get months off for traveling, just two weeks a year off. And I have to be honest what I am doing during those two weeks. I only have so many family members that "die" and I have to go to an out of state funeral for them. A funeral that will last two weeks.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the employers and the company you work for. It takes a long time to have lots of vacation time and personal time that you can use to take time off from work. Typically in the beginning when you start working for a company, it's just 1 to 2 weeks of vacation time, anywhere from 40 hours to 80 hours of vacation time. Then you'd have to stay there anywhere from another 5 to years or more before they will give you any additional vacation time or personal days accumulate that you can use to take time off from work. There's also things like Emergency Leave fir Family and Medical Emergencies and Leave of Absence.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course u can take two weeks off. People go on vacations every year.

Is there any special conditions that come with that? I was working for a pizza place for less than a week when they fired me because I am going to Europe for two weeks. Even though I would've happily worked the hours I will miss when I go to Europe and my employer never had complaints about my quality of work.

I am thinking that's the reason why. But my boss was completely dedicated to this pizza place. He quit a prestigious job in psychology to work here and according to him, me getting fired is my fault. The problem is that, my family travels a lot. We decided instead of gifts for Christmas, we will travel and we already have the trip booked. I hate lying but I am thinking of saying my aunt died and her funeral is out of state.

I don't want to be the one to encourage u to lie but do what u think is best.

What Guys Said 3

• Yeah it is, my dads vacation time a year is often over 2 weeks , I think he gets three

Is there any special conditions that come with that? I was working for a pizza place for less than a week when they fired me because I am going to Europe for two weeks. Even though I would've happily worked the hours I will miss when I go to Europe.

My dad works for Oracle, He was an electrical engineer now he got promoted to systems manager

If you don't know who Oracle are, they make software you are using right now,
      Java, thats them, they are one of the largest tech companies in the world and their owner larry ellison is like the 7th richest person in the world

• You can save your paid vacations

• That shouldn't be too difficult. My dad gives his employees 2 weeks paid vacation a year.

Maybe it was just the place I was working my old employer would never give his employees vacation time. I was working for a pizza place for less than a week when they fired me because I am going to Europe for two weeks. Even though I would've happily worked the hours I will miss when I go to Europe and they never had complaints about my quality of work.

It'll be different when you have a real career. Your old employer sounds like kind of a tool.

What Girls Said 0