Is it common not to get pregnant after nearly a year of trying?

My older sister got married last year on September 17, 2015. Both of them are 32.

She's hasn't gotten pregnant yet and seems concerned. Should she wait a bit more or see a doctor? She never got pregnant before but wants to by now.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, my now ex and I tried for over a year to get pregnant before we did. My daughter is now grown and on her own, but it is not uncommon to take time. In my opinion the fun is in the trying.

Most Helpful Girl

• It can happen to some couples yes. It's not a personal friend of mine, but a friend of my sister's. They kept trying for a baby and it wasn't happening. They both checked out fine when they went to the doctor. He advised them that perhaps it was because they were stressing about it so much. Apparently that can happen. I never knew that until she told me that story. So maybe that is what's happening with your sister. Maybe they should just stop trying and stressing for a little bit. I'd advise them to see a doctor as well just in case, but maybe it is just stress.

What Guys Said 13

• Both she and her husband should have their fertility checked. Husband first because all he'll have to to is jizz in a cup. If he checks out fine your sister should then go.

• She could wait a little longer, but having both her and her husband checked out by a doctor may not be a bad idea because the issue could be either one of them

• I'd give it a few more months, but if still nothing after that? then I'd advise her seeing a doctor and making sure there isn't anything wrong with her or husband.

• I'd give it another few months. You have to remember, one, they should be having a much sex as possible, and two, she's less fertile because of her age. I wouldn't wait more than another 6 months though.

• Depends on the person, but yeah, it can happen.

• It happened to people I know. They have a boy now.

• She should see a doctor and so should her husband
    It could be either partner as of now.

He might be impotent or she might be unfertile

• No go to a doctor.

• See a doctor.

• To the doctor with the both of them. "Ladies first"-policy is omitted for now.

• Took over a year of trying on the first child.. 2 times on the second..

• yeah my cousin's wife currently can't get pregnant. they're trying invitro right now

• It's seems to be harder to do so after 30 for some people. I know a couple that had to do that IVF in the end. SUPER FUCKING EXPENSIVE! Poor kid blew through his college savings before he was even born.

I don't know... seems unfair. You're the most prepared at that age but somehow can't seem to get prego'.

What Girls Said 5

• Well if she was on birth control for a very long time it can cause problems with fertility later. Plus she may be having sex at times where she is completely outside the fertile window for her. And yes, it is common. Its all depending on the sexual health of the both of time. Its possible one of them is infertile. Diet, environment, stress etc can also cause play a role. So that is something to think about. Find out when is your fertile window, check your secretion if it's milky looking [filmy], sticky or slick. If its so clear that you can see through it [literally] it means your fertile and an egg has passed through. If it's sticky, it flings from one finger to another by stretching it and its near yellow, it means your not fertile

Overall speak this over with your gynecologist. Hopes this helps.

@Asker Sorry I meant this for her. Just relate back what I said. :)

Thank you. I'll relate her the message.

• They should both see a doctor.

• It took me 2 years to conceive my first then 10 months later I was pregnant with my 2nd but honestly before I got pregnant with my first I was partying a lot and I think that's why it took so much longer because my body wasn't healthy

• The longer a woman waits the harder it is to conceive a child.. so I would visit a doctor.

• Maybe see a doctor