Can someone fill me in on what a safe space is, I've heard the term kinda get what they are but my colleges didn't have them, I'm being serious here?

3mo I ask cause wikipedia is not being very helpful
"In educational institutions, safe-space (or safe space), safer-space, and positive space originally were terms used to indicate that a teacher, educational institution or student body does not tolerate anti-LGBT violence, harassment or hate speech, thereby creating a safe place for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students."
3mo ""In educational institutions, safe-space (or safe space), safer-space, and positive space originally were terms used to indicate that a teacher, educational institution or student body does not tolerate anti-LGBT violence, harassment or hate speech, thereby creating a safe place for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students." I mean isn't assault and stalking and shit already like illegal so whats the point

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Although assault and stalking are illegal, more pervasive forms of abuse and violence are not.
    That's the point of a safe space, to be safe from forms of abuse that you normally wouldn't be.

I chose one of both side of the argument on this question because I can kinda see both sides and now I'm just completely neutral on these

Well, for example, if you read the definition of violence that the WHO provides, you will notice that catcalling, fat-shaming, victim-blaming and purposefully calling a transgender person the wrong pronoun are all forms of exerting power over them without their consent, thus being violent.
      A safe space protects them from that, at least in a small environment.

What Girls Said 8

• Basically a safe space is a place where marginalized groups (think Women, People of Colour or other groups) can safely talk amongst their peers about issues that affect them. It can be hard to have conversations (especially on touchy subjects) when people who are not part of these groups are in attendance because the people who do not experience certain things do not understand. Some may even talk over the people who are trying to explain or talk about their experiences. Or the person is simply not believed.

It can be tiring, painful and frustrating when you are trying to talk about something that is affecting you and the other person will not let you speak or challenges you at every turn to the point where you can't even express your opinion. This does happen!

When a person is going through tough times. It's nice to know there are others there who understand, validate their experiences and support them.

• Well.. I've only ever known it to be a secure environment.

Eg. "this is a safe space" means nobody is going to attack you or judge you for your thoughts.

If you are uncomfortable and are looking for a "safe place" it's somewhere you can go and be yourself?

I don't think it's a particular location, like 2nd door on the left. It's more about the environment you are in, how you feel there and what is/isn't okay to be said.

• Given that the country is live in was the first country in the world to legalise gay marriage & adoption & there are huge annual parades and plenty of activist groups to help with LGBT rights all over the world, my entire city is a safe space :P

• It's a bullshit term to shelter the thin skin/overly sensitive SJWs & feminists.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv2ZMN3T18E

• The only time I've heard the term being used in real life is at a diversity summit, and the facilitators made the disclaimer that "This is a safe space. You can say what you feel and no one is allowed to jump down your throat." So...

• Well just because it is illegal does not mean it is enforced. Plus they can still be bullied and called names and stuff. So it is an environment that actually enforces those law and does not tolerate bullying.

it also doesn't tolerate differing opinions or even people sometimes hardly just for bullying.

• I think it's an area for people to not have to be attacked for being the way they are. Like homophobia, transphobia, racism. The people who call them oversensitive obviously are doing the attacking rather than the other way 😐

• A safe-space is basically a zone free of judgment and negative, toxic words that completely make the dialogue a combative shit show.

Some people mock the idea of a safe-space because they don't appreciate being informed that their presence is not welcomed. Not every conversation is meant for someone who just wants to be argumentative, combative, and nasty or hateful.

YES!!! Especially this: "Not every conversation is meant for someone who just wants to be argumentative, combative, and nasty or hateful." How exhausting is it to have personal experiences invalidated or argued by someone who has never experienced them in the first place! Simply because they argue that since they haven't seen them personally so they must not exist! SO FRUSTRATING!!!

@Darkfairie17 *applause* Some people honestly just don't have the mental contribution necessary to be present, welcomed, and valuable in certain spaces.

What Guys Said 9

• A safe space can be a physical or virtual place e. g. a room or a website.
    The idea of a safe space is to make everyone feel nice and cosy, no "offensive" opinions or even contrary opinions. So that no one "feels" like they are being discriminated for gender, sex etc. An example I can think of is where california college students wanted non-black roommates as it is triggering or some shit, honestly it's just segregation of undesirables.
    www.theguardian.com/.../facebook-ad-nonwhite-roommate-claremont-california-college

• Safe spaces are places for people who can't take criticism, argument or who's causes are just so stupid that they can't survive scrutiny or logical debates or for people who are just so fragile then just about anything will break them.

Basically places for people who are weak and can't face reality or belong to groups that can't survive agaisnt logical and reason.

• Imagine you believe that homeopathy is bullshit and you say that out loud, and then a bunch of idiots start to harass you, bully you and actively difamate you because you challeneged their own perception of what medicine should be. They are deeply offended for you not seeing "the truth" and they'll frequently say that "while you're entitled to your own opinion, freedom of expression does not equal freedom of oppresion, and millions dont get the wonders of homeopathy because you advocate against it".

A safe space is an area where you dont get to say what the politically correct leftists dont agree with. Im not even joking.

• I guess it might be something similar to a safe house here. Somewhere to go when you are scared or being threatened?

• I think it's a place where people go to prevent feeling offended from others. Of course, I bet many of them have felt offended, even in a "safe" space.

• Learn something new every day. I thought it was the space you goto in your head and tune out the world around you.

• I have no fucking clue we dont gave this in Europe.

• like places for gay students, or place for oppressed people to hang out without fear of judgement.

they do exist, but aren't that legitimate now.