Which Decade Was A Bigger Explosion For Music 1980s Or 1990s Please Explain?

Its Hard For Me To Choose Please Explain Why You Think Which One

3mo @MrAtticusLebowski

Most Helpful Girl

• i like 90s music best

thank you
      my favourites from the 90s were
      mariah carey
      celine dion
      robyn
      ace of base
      aqua
      spice girls
      backstreet boys
      britney spears
      christina aguilera
      mandy moore
      nsync
      lots of eurodance/ddr tracks
      atc

Awww no Nirvana?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 5

• Any Era, @Red88xxx I love Most Music to My Ears.
    Good luck and Great question, Thanks for Sharing. xx

• I don't know which was a bigger explosion but I prefer 90s!

• The 90s

• I personally luuuurve 90's grunge/punk/rock.

I think 1990s was the bigger explosion for music and I agree I love Nirvana and I like Stone Temple Pilots hby?

Did you ever listen to Come As You Are In Bloom or Heart Shaped Box on the radio? (:

... not lately.
      I am all about Spotify, my playlists there and podcasts.

• 90s !

What Guys Said 13

• i'll say the 80s because it essentially set the stage for the 90s. the rap, grunge rock, ska/ska punk that came out in the 90s really started in the 80s. in fact most grunge bands popular in the early 90s really got their start in the 80s

plus the 80s had the big English new wave (not that i was a fan), and lots of big pop acts

You don't like bands like The Police?

The Police are some of my favorites

yeah they are a great band

• 90s by far. The 80s pretty much sucked for music. That's not saying there was no good music in the 80s, because there was. But overall it pretty much sucked. The problem with the 80s is that the music was too studio and formulated. On the other end of the spectrum the music was taken to extremes just to be different, but musically sucked badly.

• This is a tough one. I think the later half of the 90's produced some of the SHITTIEST, overproduced music till that point. I mean were talking the boyband explosion. The marriage of cheesy pop w/ hiphop. Some really shity' Alternative Rock.

Early 80's was pretty bad to. You can tell how some of this early 80's sounded SO dated. Weird computers noises and beats that can't be mistaken for another era.

Im gonna' cheat here... 85' to 95' was the sweet spot. Now that i think about it 65' to 75' was another sweet split-decade. I think @Azgeda hit the nail on the head. More access to more music has changed the game. The gate keepers that decided what music we could here are gone.

• Almost everyone prefers the music they listened to when they were in their teens and early 20's. By the time you are in your 30's, you're not too fond of the current tunes and you suddenly realize that this is the process of getting older.

Which Decade do you think was a Bigger explosion for music in your opinion?

I meant between 1980s and 1990s

The 1980's was a bigger decade for music IMHO.

• Everyone is going to choose the era that they were teens, growing up, as the best! I would say 1980s, Genesis, Marillion, Deborah Gibson, Tiffany, Sheena Easton (No, not Prince or Boy George! Hate them!!)

Why do you hate them?

OK, maybe 'Hate' was too strong. I just don't like their music. Something about it just doesn't 'feel right' in my ear. Harmonics, sub-harmonics, something! Sorry if you like them!! I didn't mean any offense to anyone, just my opinion.

I like Boy George not really the other one to be honest

• Depends on the genre. 80s Rock is some of my favourite stuff, mostly because 80s Rock held on to the old notion of music being fun. I've never been a fan of grunge myself as being a musician myself, I find it reeks of poor musicianship. (But everyone has the right to their own opinion). Pop music began to shift in the 80s with the advent of Synths, and drum machines, but it still took a while to get from Spandau Ballet, and Madonna to Britney Spears. The biggest shifts were in Country, and Rock probably. I prefer 90s Country to 80s Country (with the exception of Alabama) mostly for similar reasons to preferring 80s Rock over 90s Rock.

TL;DR: Both decades were instrumental in creating the modern music environment but the 90s saw the shift of Rock becoming much more depressing, and Country picking up the slack where Rock left off. (e. g. Shania Twain vs Conway Twitty)

Grunge has some very fun songs like Nirvana Come As You Are Or In Bloom you don't like those songs? Have you ever heard those songs in the 1990s?

I'm a music lover, I listen to everything. The minor key tends to put me off

How did you hear those songs Come As You Are and In Bloom radio or something else?

• The 80's.
    People will probably say 90's cause that's when they grew up but frankly those people are wrong.

The 80s was an explosion of new sounds whereas the 90's was mostly just the evolution of those sounds.

• Eh... neither really.
    I think the present day is the biggest explosion for music.
    Now everyone can be a producer , FruityLoop , Caustic , CrossDJ. Music creation has never been more accessible to the masses.
    BandCamp , SoundCloud , iTunes , AmazonMusic.
    Both the means of production and the means of distribution in this new golden age of music.
    The future is bright.

• I really feel it was the 1980s since we started having the music videos on MTV appear

• 1980's EASILY

Better music + bigger explosion from what it was

• 1980s started the revolution and 1990 built on it.

• The 1990's by far is better, It had the under ground house music, Real Rap, Grunge and alternative rock was original not mass produced Mtv joke.

• There was a lot more upheaval at the tail end of the 70s and early 90s. Big changes that shook the industry. Mainstream 80s musis was pretty bad but there was a lot of interesting stuff going on in the shadows, some of which blew up post 1991.