Can a person's name affect their personality?

Does your name have anything to do with your personality?

Most Helpful Guy

• Just about anything can affect a person's personality if they allow it to affect them. You name someone Zeus, they might feel they are meant to be dominant and strong. Give someone the name like Dick and they may become jerks and arrogant. You could name a girl Hera and the same could be true of her being aggressive and dominant, or you could call your child Hugo and they might get it into the head to be a playboy. And we're not even discussing yet the nicknames people can be labeled with as they're growing up.

Then we can discuss the legacy of a name. If you name someone after yourself and you're successful, don't you feel it may generated a desire in them to also be as successful if not better. It puts pressure on them to succeed in life, even if they are not as bright or charismatic as you were at the same age. Just look at the English Royal family. Do you not believe they have expectations placed on them because of the name they carry? If you don't believe a name can affect a person's personality, then look around in the media for examples of just the opposite.

The bottom line, in my view, is a person's name, where they live, how they grow up, the way their parents live and act, what they see on television, in songs, what they experience at school; one and on the list goes of what can affect a person's personality. It is completely again, Nature versus Nurture.

This isn't to say we can rebel and ignore such forces working on our personality and decide for ourselves who and what we want to be. Children all across the globe have broken with their family name, with their families, and with classifications of who they are supposed to be all the time, to follow their own path. It is not even rare anymore for this to happen, but this doesn't lessen the point of the question or the answer in what can and cannot affect us if we allow it. End of story.

Most Helpful Girl

• To extent yes. Weak name will make person weaker, funny name will make person weaker because they might be made fun of, while strong name will project confidence.

What Guys Said 16

• No, I don't think so. Names are just names, of course that we create a deep identity to our names, but personality is something that we're born with, name is something given to us. They're not related.

• Yes in a way I think so.

• I mean if I named my daugther Hog Breath, I'm sure she'd have some confidence issues, which would affect her personality.

• lol, nope.

• If your name was Wanker you'd probably be a grumpy bloke.

• It may.

• Idek what Tyler mean baha

• Yeah it can cause if people pick on you for it.

• yup it does

• Yup, it does. It influences decisions, personalities, and gives role models

• It does. "The ones who rules with an iron fist" pretty much defines my anger issues lol

• Well, my name is Dick and people usually call me a dick. so yes

• i doubt that

• Numerology

• i highly doubt that

• Not really but if you have stupid name it could greatly affect you

What Girls Said 14

• nope... Its all in your mind

• It might be positive or negative depending on where the person lived and how people in that area act. Also, it depends on the parents :)

I would hope no one feels ashamed or like an air head just because of their name.

• Yeah, all Rachel's are amazing people.

• nope, not really

• No. Parents choose the name. You can't

• I don't think so but a name can change the way I look at a person

• No it doesn't.

• Yes, I do.

• Yes it does affect a person subconsciously!

• Yes, my name effects my personality, very much... lol

• That is just how you think of it. I personally do not think so but some people believe that their names affect them a lot and they actually does. So.. as long as you believe in it, yeah.

• What's a name?

• it can if they were named something very stupid and they get made fun of for it

• In my culture they think that everybody has in them something to do with their name, but that's not the case with me , my name have the meaning of a patience in it but I'm the opposite of a patient person