Feeling guilty about leaving work early?

I was an hour and 45 minutes into my 12 hour shift. I got very sick very fast. Like... we're talking throwing up multiple times, clammy hands, exhaustion, diarrhea, becoming freezing cold, fever, and sweating so much that it soaked through my clothes and dripped onto the floor.

I feel badly because now someone has to be called in to cover me and also because now I will burn some PTO for the hours I missed.

I don't like to skip work - even felt guilty taking PTO for vacation a few weeks ago.

There's no denying that I was sick and company policy states that if you throw up you get sent home. But still... I'm feeling guilty.

I know it's not my fault, but I feel like I'm letting them down.

Am I being silly?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. You were probably contagious. The last thing they need is you taking your whole group down.

Rest up and get well.

Most Helpful Girl

• You're being silly.
    You're not well.

Put your phone away, get in bed, stick the TV on low volume and get some rest.

What Guys Said 4

• If your working at a restaurant you being sick there is violating about every rule in the book. So stop beating yourself up.

I don't work in food service lol but true. Being sick at work is probably bad.

I love my job - probably why I'm feeling so guilty haha - and all the people I work with. I'm just embarrassed that I came in at all. I wasn't sick when I arrived and it hit so suddenly. And so soon after arriving that I feel badly for even showing up at all haha

If anything they would probably just tease you to keep drinking fluids as I'm sure they would like to see you come back. xD As both Vomiting and Diarrhea are very HARSH on the body.

• Given the situation you have no reason to feel guilty. It's better to go home if you're sick.

• Don't be guilty. You need to take care of yourself first. A job is a job.

• Your taking it to hard, just get better , you were legitimately sick so stop feeling so guilty

I was saving PTO for a future month long vacation in the next year and since I'm so new at the company I didn't have very much. Enough to cover the house I've missed today, but now it's setting me back. You're right. Probably not as big of a deal as I think. People call off all the time. But I've never heard of them leaving mid-shift.

It happens, you can't really predict things like that

What Girls Said 5

• Course you are. You can't help being ill. And your doing them a favour going home as your not spreading it

• No, you just have a strong work ethic.

• Yes.

• its fine! go rest and get better x

• You shouldn't feel guilty. Don't worry about it. And, i hope you get better soon!