How do you stop a lab from chewing up everything?

OK so I bought my girlfriend a lab for her birthday , and this little guy who isn't little any more chews everything! The chairs, the tables, keys, pillows, baseball bats, the fireplace, the outdoor fence, the deck. I'm not making this up! So how do you stop this guy from eating my house?

Most Helpful Girl

• Whenever you catch him chewing something he's not supposed to, say "NO" and immediately give him an acceptable chew toy, then praise him when he chews the toy. The idea is not to stop him from chewing altogether, but to teach him what is okay to chew and what isn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• Walk him more and get him a toy to play with

my walks and runs dog 10 to 20 miles a day and he doesn't chew on things

Good advice. As they say, a tired dog is a happy dog!

@snowangle yep he loves to come alone when I'm riding horses

What Girls Said 5

• You have to get him obedience training right now. He is young and doesn't know what you want or need for him to do. Put him on a leash when he is around the house, keep it around you wrist as he moves around. If he touches the chair you yank him back, point to the chair and say with a stern voice "LEAVE IT"! Never say NO because NO is a grey area word. NO can mean anything. I have 3 St Bernard's who were teething very badly when they were younger all the same age as quadruplets. [they have another sister who another family took]. Do not give them a toy or a substitute until he EARNS IT. Because now you will promote a bad habit: "I chew this, I get to have the toy!" That is very confusing for a dog who loves to be told what to do. Create structure and order as yo would if you had a child misbehaving. And you repeat this over and over and over again until he gets it. And when he stops always tell him "Good boy". Pet him as part of encouragement. If you don't get him disciplined now, he will grow older being disobedient, rowdy and stubborn. Labs needs structure at a early age. Be prepared to do a lot of disciplining or else your going to have a dog who will make you run for your money, and you may grow to resent him when it isn't his fault but you and your girlfriend.

If all else fails, then you better hire a trained professional dog trainer to come over to your house. Because that becomes a sign of behavioral problems later.

• Buy chew toys, crate train him and take time to go to obedience classes.

• Awe I have 6 lab puppies and the mother rn you have to reward him anytime he listens hopefully that will help 😊

• You don't! My hound ate everything. And I mean everything!

• Take him our for a walk/run. Dogs usually chew on things because the lack of exercise they have. Plus, tell her to buy chewing toys for him. And teach him he's not allowed to chewed. You can look up for some ideas online.

What Guys Said 1

• We kept countless chew toys for our lab. Always have a giant rawhide bone, that keeps em busy for hours