Is going out alone on a Friday night a bad idea?

I've been dying to hit up a bar or a club , the only problem is I have no one to go with.
Is dressing sexy and going to hear music alone just asking for trouble?
I get hit on like crazy when I'm not in that environment so I could only imagine when I am in it by myself.
I really want to enjoy myself , but feel as if I'm doomed to be alone at home because I have no one.
This sucks lol.

• Yes, a woman should never do that.
  • No, it makes independence but be careful!

Most Helpful Guy

• Flying solo to me is often the best way to meet people (friends usually for me, great love interests usually aren't found in those types of places).

You have the most room to maneuver and hop from place to place at will.

I'd say go for it but just be careful and try to take it very easy on the alcohol if you drink any. Go for a good time and to dance and avoid getting desperate. You should be totally fine with just enjoying yourself even if you come home alone.

And maybe try to befriend some girls on the way if you can so that you'll start building up friends with whom you can go such places whenever you like.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on what area/country really. Some places its been completely fine for me to wander by myself (looking for my friends mostly after losing them) and others not, but you should always be careful and cautious. I lost my friend once and a guy who kept trying to hit on me wouldn't leave me alone and basically dragged me to an empty corridor at the club and tried to force himself on me (luckily only got as far as attempting to finger me) until my friend found me somehow fortunately which was the only way I got out of the situation.
    It is a risk but a fairly small one, you have to make sure you show strongly and clearly (at times rudely if you have to) that you don't want the guy to keep them off.
    Also you'll be hit on double that of what you would if you were with a friend because they think its far easier to hit on a lone girl. Also your body will constantly be touched like you're some kind of piece of clothing in a store where people feel on you to feel the form and texture loool... And also be careful with guys buying drinks for you, my drink has been spiked in the past and it was awful (luckily got away from the situation cause friends, again)
    You will be like a prey in a savanna, but have fun either way, and be safe. :)

What Guys Said 23

• Guys will hit on you like crazy and will try to dance with you if you go on the dance floor. Especially grope, touch and try to grind on you. It's nothing wrong listening to music but depending on what you wear will bring a lot of attention. Lol I be your body guard for free.

• I always found it silly when someone feels they ALWAYS need "someone to go with" in order to places and do stuff.

Nothing wrong with being like Anthony Bourdain, going places solo and MAKING friends on the fly.

Just make sure u keep some sort of weapon on you, like mace on your keyring... just to be safe.

• seems like a good way to make yourself a rape victim. you would definitely increase your odds. if you want to listen to music why not turn up the stereo.

• It's not exactly a bad idea, but it does make you more vulnerable. You should go and enjoy yourself if that's what you really want to do, but just make sure to be extra careful as you may be a target for guys who are looking to pounce. And just be smart about the way you go about the night. Don't get too drunk, take public routes home and don't dress too revealing.

• More power to you! I realize a man saying this doesn't help the direct situation, but I personally love going out alone. It's refreshing to have time for myself and only myself. Not speaking to anyone except for when I order a drink. That and I also like people watching.

• Hmmmm.. I always go alone (although I go like once a year). I go alone because I do not have e a female companion to go out with and I do not like to go to clubs with guys.

But then, I'm a guy. Not sure if that adds any value to your question.

• I am somewhere in between two options - I believe she should be allowed to go out by herself but I also believe she will be really hit upon in the bar or club

• Id go with you. I'm feeling it too and all my friends are well basically married and do couple things lol. Eh definitely might be asking for something not trouble but just may be a good idea to hit up a friend lol.

• It's a great idea, just be careful though. Don't go to shady places and go to a place where there's a lot of people.

• I think you should give it a try.

• Master status.

Get hit on all the time.

So you're saying you only attract people you don't like.

• Just choose wisely where you go.

• I'd rather sit on the couch watch Netflix all night

• Take a male friend?

• There is always the gay bar.

• It's a bad idea, when liming in the club or bar make sure, you always have friends with you or stay home

so men are not rapists but women should stay home..

@AriadneSky It's not safe for a woman to lime alone in a club or bar

• Men will finally approach you.

• it's not safe, if you don't know how to defend yourself

• Yup for now your doomed
    You'll find someone indeed

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 12

• Just don't give off a vulnerable vibe. Carry yourself like you're capable of taking a full grown man down by using only the strength of your pinky finger.

• I'd befriend the bartenders as an added layer of security. But go have fun!

• Where is the problem? Where I live, a girl does not mind going out alone.

• Not a bad idea, but be careful.

• Just be very careful about who you interact with but I'm sure I really don't even have to say that. Kudos to you for being brave to go out alone!

• i go out alone all the time. sine i was a kid. i dont even get this question.

i dont understand if all these people think it is so unsafe why is there so much hostility when people talk about rape & assault as a real issue.

and why should women have to stay home bc men can't control themselves.

according to gag men are dangerous if a woman wants to go out without a chaperone.

whereas women are crazy & neurotic if they actually say men are out of control.

gag make up your mind.

anyhow o one is keeping me home. if you're really uncomfortable go to a gay bar sine sounds like you dont want to be hit on by guys. in my experience, in bars, women are more respectful of boundaries.

• Screw independence. I'm way too scared to go out at night alone. Especially a club, with people comming onto you.

• Go for it! Just make sure you don't drink too much, have pepper spray, are aware of your surroundings, phone is fully charged, and don't except any drinks from strangers.

• You can just be extremely careful.

• Go for it and have fun, but be very careful.

• Call your girl friends and go with her/them. Girls hang out together is the most fun thing and who knows.. there will have some guys approach you.
    Trust me. I've done that before ^o^

• Well if you go to the club make sure you stay safe so standard don't leave your drink unattended etc. Maybe if you meet some other girls there (I myself always make friends on a night out) stick with them then at least you are at lower risk of being possibly seen as vulnerable because you're by yourself.