Is it odd that I hate it when people hold the door open for me?

I cannot stand it when people hold the door open for me because I quite frankly can open the door myself. Also, I feel as if im pressured to speed up when this occurs. Is it odd that I hate it when people hold the door open for me?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• There are so many things that we as humans and adults must do alone. There are so many things we need to prove to the world. There are so many things that we have to accomplish without the direct help of others. Accept when we get help even when it is not necessary and your life will be happier. Think of someone opening the door for you as a kind gesture. No one is saying you can't physically open the door. Take it as a way of bridging the gap between people.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 18

• I wouldn't say it's odd, I see where you're coming from but it is a form of courtesy and etiquette in this world and it's a good trait to have in a person especially when it comes to first impressions. Maybe instead of thinking about it in terms of how inconvenient it is for you think of it as a wow that person is a considerate and polite person who has been raised seemingly well indeed!

• No, it is your own Reason of the Season in Being a Guy who Doesn't like anyone To... Try. You are a Guy with a set mind.
    I bet you "Hate" Commitment too.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• yes! I fucking hate that shit, especially cause it's a gender thing! And then can even get awkward cause that might be a way for guy to flirt and that can make me so uncomfortable
    It's ok to hold someone doors when they are like holding something in their hands or whatever, when there is like actual need

• It's typically seen as a courtesy, so it's a bit odd, but oh well. I'm sure most people are not trying to make you rush, hah.

• Don't take it so seriously, its just common courtesy. Its only awkward when someone goes too far out of their way to hold it. Generally a person should only hold the door for the person a few steps behind, unless they are carrying stuff or pushing a stroller, etc.
    Remember the person has no way of knowing your door-holding preferences. Most people consider it a nice gesture.

• Would you rather they let the door slam in your face?
    I personally enjoy that nicety.

• Do you also hate it when people wish you a nice day or reach out to shake your hand as a greeting?

• It's not weird, well for me that is...
    I think it's kind of a feeling where you feel bad that they're using their time to hold the door for you?
    Because of that, there's more pressure to move faster when they are waiting for you to go in the door :S
    This is probably just me though haha

• Never come to UK, you'll constantly be annoyed.

really? i never noticed manners from the britishes...

I'd say both are rude. I lived in a youth hostile in Ireland for a month and only the britishes would come in and wake everyone up each night, turn the light on and party in the bedroom at 2-3am, even though there was a living room, another room to party in...

and yes, we yanks learned all our worst manners from the britishes lol

• I love it when someone holds a door for me.
    It is odd from your side.

• Wear s sign around your neck that way people would know how you feel.

• Really? This is why people don't show courtesy anymore..

• Yes, it's just a kind gesture

• Extremely odd.

• i hate it too... especially when i have to speed up

• No... I think it is nice for them. I do it out of habit even when no one is behind me

• I have 2 hands so...

• Yes. They are just trying to be polite.

What Guys Said 11

• It means you're a filthy ghoul!

• Yes, it is odd to hate it when people do a good gesture towards you.

• You'll hate Canada then lol

• the only time it bothers me is when the person opens the door for you expecting a tip in return. this wAs a common practice by the homeless in the slums of Los Angeles at choice 7-11s.

other than that, I find I the gesture quite nice.

• its really sexist
    i can open my door
    men have feelings too
    equal pay
    my body my choice
    black olives matter > black lives matter

• That is REALLY BIZARRE. Like, it's just common politeness, jeez... it's normal to hate it when they DON'T hold the door open because that's actually rude. So you'd prefer if everyone was rude to you?

• Yes, it's odd to hate when someone does something nice for you.

• Yea.. Pretty sad for you

• id say yesssss

• Somebody took time out of their busy day out of courtesy to hold the door for you. In a world full of rude people, there shouldn't be a problem with this.

• lol its a little odd but its not a big deal