When applying for a job, would it look better if I graduated with a bachelors from a state college, or a university?

I'm almost done with my AA, and soon I'm gonna have to focus on my bachelors. I'm at a state college now, and this college actually offers a bachelors for my major. (Secondary language arts education)
It would be A LOT cheaper for me if I were to stay at my state college to finish my bachelors, however when I apply for a job as a teacher, wouldn't it look bad? Say there was somebody else applying for my position. That person and I both have the same exact degree, but mine would be from a college and his/hers would be from a university.
Do you think it would look bad if I were to graduate from a state college? Should I just pay extra money to finish at a big university?

Most Helpful Guy

• That really depends on what you want to do. College discrimination is a real thing when looking for a job. Some interviews will only happen if you come from the right school. On top of that you have to consider which school will give you access to the most resource and will have the most future professional contacts. For instance here in LA UCLA has far more resources but if you go to USC you'll likely meet more future CEOs. Cal state northridge on their other hand offer neither of those perks but it is cheaper for the same degree. But again, getting the best possible job can often be knowing the right people. A UC alumni will always hire a competent UC grad before a competent cal state grad.

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't matter in the real world. It depends on the job. You can have the degree, but you have other experiences? Qualifications? How about internships? Do you know people for the degree you worked and studied for? How about professional references? Any other job prospects? Unless a company is really that shallow, lets say in a job ad: NEEDS TO BE A GRADUATE FROM HARVARD. You are not going to get your foot in the door. My friend just got hired to become a teacher, and she only has a Bachelors now, all while she had work experience as a volunteer BEFORE she took her exams for the teaching job and qualifications. It is a most that you have some kind of teaching experience such as a volunteer or an internship, even if it isn't paid. Experience is better than nothing. Otherwise you will be stuck in a low paying job, or a job that is below your level and career.

So no. You do not need to graduate from a state college or finish at a big university. People are not going to care. All they want to know is if you have the skills to pay the bills. You can have the degree, but if you don't know what your doing they won't hire you.

What Guys Said 7

• Yes, your degree will have more prestige if it comes from a university.

• I think most teaching job "requires" a masters degree. Get your bachelors at a state college , then when you get your masters , that's the time to dish out the real money at a prestigious university.

• It's common that College and University are used interchangeably in the US. The name of the institute might hold some weight (Harvard vs, Podunk) but otherwise, not an issue.

• They are looking for someone with the qualifications they need. That's all.

• Are you in Canada by chance. I don't think it makes a difference here in the U. S.

• Won't make a difference I guess

• Don't worry you'll get a job over a man in either case because hiring quotas require it.

What Girls Said 1

• they are looking for someone with skills and work experience. Your degree means shit unless its a STEM degree