Are you still at fault if a past cheating ex attempted suicide?

My sister broke up with her fiance 10 months ago because he cheated. He tried winning her back but he was never welcomed in our home again. The wedding was obviously cancelled.

Fast-forward to last month: he jumped out of his window and even had a written note that life isn't worthy anymore and how he missed her. He survived but suffered a fracture jaw and a couple broken bones. He's at a psych ward at this moment.

Honestly, I don't even wish this to my worse enemy but I'm wondering if there must have been some signs. My sister feels kind of responsible.

• Yes
  • No
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• No, it's not your sister's fault. HE was the one who cheated, and HE was the one who attempted suicide. That doesn't mean that she shouldn't have a heart and not help him get help. But she definitely should NOT feel guilty about this.

Most Helpful Girl

• didn't know that she put his dick in another woman and that she pushed him out the window. He gets what he deserves. He didn't die, so he should just live his life and move on, it's his fault it didn't work out

What Guys Said 6

• It's very hard to know. Some people can act incredibly cheerful while in their heads they're planning their suicide.

It's not your sisters fault. The guy has serious issues and hopefully he's getting the help he needs. It doesn't matter how much love your sister would show towards him if he can't love himself.

• Oh wow , he didn't only fail as a fiance , as a man , he even failed at killing himself. Nah not responsible. He did it to himself.

• He cheated, he doesn't deserve your sister. It's not her fault.

• Oh God no. You can't be heald accountable for other's mistakes, much less their actions in general.

• no :/

• id say nope

What Girls Said 4

• You rarely suddenly become suicidal, it's a gradual thing, and you are often heavily depressed. There could've been signs and there could not have been signs, I was suicidal at some points in my life but no one but my closest friends knew (which I told), my family had no clue what so ever or even suspected it until I actually told them.

There are many people who use suicide as a means to get revenge and make someone feel bad (in this case your sister) for not taking him back. It's a kind of manipulation on a whole nother level (some threaten them first to make them feel even more guilty). It's not your sisters fault at all because he was mentally ill, and clearly he made a huge mistake of cheating and if he does not understand or consider why she wouldn't take him back or why the family wouldn't accept him there is something wrong with his way of thinking.

Your sister is not at any fault WHAT SO EVER.

• It's not her fault he cheated and it's not her fault he's suicidal.

• It obviously isn't her fault in any way

• some people show some signs other people are good at hiding things