How can someone still be light skinned when one parent is black?

Not sure how often this happens. At my former HS, I saw a mixed girl once. The father was white and mother black.

The girl was still light skinned. She was a whole lot closer to her father's white color. However, she had the hair, eyes, and facial features of a black person.

I always thought the darker skin color would be more dominant.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's technically a genetic mutation because biology taught me that darker skin is a dominate trait and light skin is recessive

Yeah I always assumed that a darker color would be more dominant and that ir would take another generation or so to produce the next lighter offspring.

Most Helpful Girl

• Um, no. Where did you get that idea from? Does it matter? She is a human being like her parents are. I have family who is ethnically mixed and come out however they do, it still doesn't mean we aren't related. I have an aunt who looks like she's Asian, but is my late mother sister and they both have the same parents. Looks can be deceiving. Blue eyes runs in my family and we all have different things. Genes are genes, environment, diet also plays a role in our genetics.

What Guys Said 11

• because it's all about melanin. how much melanin your body produces. if due to your non-african genes your body produces less melanin then you will be a lighter skin

• There are a lot of different genes that make up skin tone.
    So there are a lot of different ways the phenotypes can arrange themselves.

• There are like 11 genes that cover skin color. Think of them all like many individual scales that average up the tones at the end. Now roll a bunch of dice for each scale for the skin color between both parents and see what you get. People can end up quite dark or quite light especially if there's a huge difference between the parents. Odds are it will be somewhere in the middle though..

• Have a buddy like that. He has blue eyes and everything. You kinda' see the black features after seeing a picture of his dad (who is black). It's pretty common. They usually go over this in Anthropology class... if your public school is even allowed teach that stuff.

• Your educational system has failed you.

• My uncle had two white kids, but he is black but he married a white woman, so it's obvious what happened there

• Just be happy for her that she doesn't have the same probability of getting shot by cops as her mom.

• Depends on how the genes mixed.

• There's some voodoo magic in play

• It's all genetics.

• It is... that's why she's light skinned instead of totally white.

What Girls Said 14

• Maybe the mother has white genes along the line as well it is quite possible that she has the white skin colour gene causing her kid to be more white..
    Look at the story of 2 white parents having a baby born dark skinned.. or 2 black parents having a kid born as white as snow (no albino) somewhere along their family line they had ancestors of white/black race..

This girl is both her mum and dad just her dads genes were more dominant.. if they have another child that kid might have mums more dominant gene..

Thing with DNA it's complicated.. when it comes to kids u never know

• because she is mixed DUH! Mixed kids come out looking super black, to super white , to Asian , hispanic... etc
    Dark skin being dominant is a myth.
    My cousins are German and Ghanian. They look white euroepan. One of them is pale blonde hair blue eyed but curly hair.
    Genetics is a tricky thing.

• I know people that are my complexion with one white parent.

• Everyone thinks I'm just white.. But when they see my dad they assume I'm adopted lmao it's funny..
    My moms light but my dad is a lighter brown.. So.. Meh

• It's called genes. Lol. They r so unpredictable!!!

Indeed. She only looked white in color but black in her other features.

Since the girl still carries her mother's genes, it's possible her child can come out more like her mother.

• Haha! I'm the opposite! My dad was white and my mom was mixed (Black and White) but she was really fair skinned. I have curly shoulder - length hair, dark brown eyes, and a pretty even 'hot chocolate' complexion. It's just the way genetics line up! :-)

• The magical world of genetic variation *~*~

• It's very strange when the mlther is black, that rarely happens. If the father is black and the child is a female, they will most often turn out light skinned since the child receives most of her mother's genes being a girl.

• Genetics. Biology was also in HS

• Genetics, genetics

• If the mother was half white and the father was full white, the child could be white

• Genetics. Open a book.

• I'm not darkskin and 100% black. It's melanin, you can have variety of shades.

You're talking about a mixed girl? Did you expect her to look full black? Lmao

Well not totally black but maybe dark olive or somewhere in the middle.

• You don't get around much, do you?

This even happens with two black parents. I'm black and I've seen every skin tone in my family and in other black families (not biracial couples). My mother's skin tone is very light compared to what you probably think is normal for black people. My grandmother (her mother) is the same, and her brother is the same with green eyes as well, etc. My great grandfather on my dads side had pale skin and blue eyes. I'm certainly not white-light but I'm not dark brown either. However, neither of my parents is dark brown, even though both are black, so that makes sense.

I don't think it's necessarily true that the dominant trait wins every single time, or if deviation from that rule always qualifies as "genetic mutation", but there is also just that fact - genetic mutation. Lighter skin itself is said to be a genetic mutation, as we all evolved from the same starting point in Africa, where dark skin became necessary to thrive in that environment. So whether it's a genetic mutation or something else, it's clear that race is a construct that genetics could give two fucks about. They do their thing, and we admire the results. The African continent has an extremely diverse pool of genetic traits, keep that in mind. But even aside from that, people have complicated genetic and racial histories that are not always obvious by their immediate families. It's possible to have unexpected recessive traits, or distant relatives of other races in your "bloodline" somewhere.

I have noticed that sometimes, if the father is white and the mother is black, the child will come out with a lighter skin tone. But I can't say that is true most of the time or not. But I will leave you with one of my favorite youtube families, because their kids are cute af.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftimn8eNaXI